I scammed Sprint. but i didn't mean to

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a BlackBerry Tour with Sprint and I was getting a little frustrated with the phone because I couldn't get it to sync my calendar the way I wanted to so I did something very impulsive. I cancelled my contract and got a dumbphone from AT&T. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I didn't last a week without feeling the pain for my smartphone. The dumbphone was free and At&t waived the activation fee. So I was just expecting to pay the ETF from Sprint. While rocking my dumbphone, I went to the BestBuy store and saw that they had the EVO. They had one left in stock. I thought I would take my chance in trying to get it, expecting them to tell me that it wouldn't be possible seeing as though I just left Sprint a week earlier. But I tried anyway and they were able to set me up. I said the $200 plus tax and was out the door. I figured that I would still be paying the ETF on my next bill, but I didn't. The CSR said that because I reinstated my account within the 45 day period that there would not be an ETF. So basically I git a free upgrade and I wasn't due for one until, July of next year. I got over on them, but it wasn't my intention. This just worked in my favor.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I dont really think you got over on them. I left Verizon for Sprint/EVO and for 30 days after I ended my contract with Verizon they kept sending me emails and flyers that if I came back I could get a new phone at a 2-year price and they would waive my ETF. I think it is just their way of getting you back.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I dont really think you got over on them. I left Verizon for Sprint/EVO and for 30 days after I ended my contract with Verizon they kept sending me emails and flyers that if I came back I could get a new phone at a 2-year price and they would waive my ETF. I think it is just their way of getting you back.

Really? Then I don't feel so bad. Not that I was lamenting too much over it in the first place. Lol.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Psh...you want to hear how I REALLY got one past Sprint?

Last year my gf was buying me a Palm Pre for my birthday. My upgrade date was tech. Aug. 1st but I went on July 30th because i was going to be away all weekend. I went to the Sprint store and asked if they could do the upgrade 2 days early and they said sure.

So boom got it. My gf started getting jealous of my phone and wanted a Pre as well. She's not a Premiere customer so she didn't have an upgrade and she doesn't buy phones not on contract.

Anyway, one day in late August i was looking at my account and my account still said I was eligible for an upgrade. I couldn't believe it...but there it was. Some how the woman at the Sprint store had messed up and never changed my upgrade time.

So i went ahead and ordered another Pre for $200 (after mail in rebate).

one thing i did mess up though is because i got the other phone on my account i lost my rebate eligibility on my original phone...but wasn't that bad of a deal.

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Psh...you want to hear how I REALLY got one past Sprint?

Last year my gf was buying me a Palm Pre for my birthday. My upgrade date was tech. Aug. 1st but I went on July 30th because i was going to be away all weekend. I went to the Sprint store and asked if they could do the upgrade 2 days early and they said sure.

So boom got it. My gf started getting jealous of my phone and wanted a Pre as well. She's not a Premiere customer so she didn't have an upgrade and she doesn't buy phones not on contract.

Anyway, one day in late August i was looking at my account and my account still said I was eligible for an upgrade. I couldn't believe it...but there it was. Some how the woman at the Sprint store had messed up and never changed my upgrade time.

So i went ahead and ordered another Evo for $200 (after mail in rebate).

one thing i did mess up though is because i got the other phone on my account i lost my rebate eligibility on my original phone...but wasn't that bad of a deal.

I like Sprint, but they do seem to be inefficient when it comes to those sort of things. When I bought my first BlackBerry with them, I received a rebate check for $470. Of course I didn't say anything, but Sprint seems to have a lot of mix ups like that.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
lol, my wife used to work at the college she was going to and now she doesnt but if you work at a college you technically work for the state. so we get a 20% off each bill....still....its been over a year