EVO Handbrake Issues

iboombastic

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've tried using handbrake to convert some of my movies but it would let me change the size of the video as in the height and width. Every time I change them it goes back to the original.

Thanks

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've tried using handbrake to convert some of my movies but it would let me change the size of the video as in the height and width. Every time I change them it goes back to the original.

Thanks

Probably because you didn't save the settings. They have a preset for iPods/iPhones which is perfect for the Evo and other Android phones.

NokiaNokia

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
1) Open the DVDFab program
2) Click DVD to Mobile
3) Click ipod/ iphone preset
4) Insert DVD as source
5) chose Target, where you want to save the file
6) click edit for ipod.default
7) Fixed Rate should be 1500
8) Frame rate is 30 fps
9) Channel is stereo
10) Volume is 500 %
11) Click Video Effect Settings
12) click Customize Size and input 800 X 480, the max res for your evo, click Add then click OK
13) Click OK and then Start
14) Once its done manually copy it to your SD card under folder VIDEOS

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Or just hit the iPhone profile in handbrake, and just change the width on the Picture tab. Done. I don't know why people insist on using complicated/worse apps like DVDFab.

prEvo

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
1) Open the DVDFab program
2) Click DVD to Mobile
3) Click ipod/ iphone preset
4) Insert DVD as source
5) chose Target, where you want to save the file
6) click edit for ipod.default
7) Fixed Rate should be 1500
8) Frame rate is 30 fps
9) Channel is stereo
10) Volume is 500 %
11) Click Video Effect Settings
12) click Customize Size and input 800 X 480, the max res for your evo, click Add then click OK
13) Click OK and then Start
14) Once its done manually copy it to your SD card under folder VIDEOS
Not trying to be nasty, but converting the size to 800x 480 will cause the film to have a slightly off look. Most wide-screen films are in the 1.85:1 ratio. So that would be 800x432. Some films are 2.39:1. HD is 16:9. You need to go on IMDB dot com and check out the aspect ratio for the film to determine the proper scaling. Then do a lil' algebra.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be nasty, but converting the size to 800x 480 will cause the film to have a slightly off look. Most wide-screen films are in the 1.85:1 ratio. So that would be 800x432. Some films are 2.39:1. HD is 16:9. You need to go on IMDB dot com and check out the aspect ratio for the film to determine the proper scaling. Then do a lil' algebra.

Agreed. The problem is that generally the aspect ratio of the EVO is smaller (i.e. width to height is smaller) than the movie you're trying to digitize. So either you need to crop the right and left parts of the movie, or see tall skinny people on your screen. One can't really complain about a free program, but the HandBrake controls are totally bizarre on this point... I've tried many, many times to expand the height of the DVD to 480 and crop the sides to maintain the same aspect ratio as the original. That would seem simple and HandBrake has settings that sound like they SHOULD do that - but just try to get that to work...

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what the cropping settings are for.

Also, since 99% of people don't want cropping (because seriously, no one buys fullscreen DVDs anymore for that reason), it's much better to put in just a width into handbrake. It will automatically calculate the proper height for the aspect ratio of the video, and also remove any black bars that may have been encoded on the DVD itself.