Vignette app takes better pictures than the stock camera app

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I like Vignette but I've noticed that photos taken with the app seem a bit fuzzier than the stock app. I've taken several pics using both and the stock app just seem clearer.

Complete opposite with me. Every picture I've ever taken looks clearer than the stock and the colors look richer and closer to how it actually looks in person. Make sure you have a steady hand, you're on 8mp, and you focus the right way.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I like Vignette but I've noticed that photos taken with the app seem a bit fuzzier than the stock app. I've taken several pics using both and the stock app just seem clearer.

Check your settings to make sure you're taking pictures at the same resolution in both camera apps. And if you're not using the paid version of Vignette, you are limited to a low res picture.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Does/Will Vignette do the HDR like the iphone4 software will?

There's a setting in Vignette under Misc called "fake HDR". I never saw that, actually I never realized there was a Misc section of effects and I've taken literally thousands of pictures using Vignette. Smh@myself lol... Anyway, it's too dark outside now. I'll take some shots tomorrow and post them..

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
it irks me that i should have to pay for software to make the camera usable. stock software pretty much sucks

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
it irks me that i should have to pay for software to make the camera usable. stock software pretty much sucks

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the stock camera app is unusable. While Vignette does take better pictures, and I agree it's annoying to have to pay for an app to get better quality pictures, I think the stock camera app still takes pretty good pictures, especially if you mess around with the settings.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
4972910084_c56ebcd458_b.jpg

Vignette camera
4972908186_e7e4f885ba_b.jpg

Regular camera

To me the Vignette pic is much more blurry and has more noise in the back ground. I don't know how I can tweak the settings in Vignette to make it look better. Both camera's are set to 8mp.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. That's weird. As I've said in other posts, I've taken literally thousands of pictures with my Evo and almost all are with Vignette because the quality for me has always been better. Look at the pictures I posted in the OP. Hands down Vignette. It's gotta be the settings... Go to the settings in stock camera. What's the white balance, ISO, quality, and metering mode? Now go to the Vignette app and check to make sure if the settings are the same.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. That's weird. As I've said in other posts, I've taken literally thousands of pictures with my Evo and almost all are with Vignette because the quality for me has always been better. Look at the pictures I posted in the OP. Hands down Vignette. It's gotta be the settings... Go to the settings in stock camera. What's the white balance, ISO, quality, and metering mode? Now go to the Vignette app and check to make sure if the settings are the same.

Both apps are set to auto on all options. I've deleted the app and reinstalled it. Maybe that will help clear out any issues. I will post some more pics hopefully later today.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Vignette takes better photos. However, the stock camera is quicker.

Agreed. Was at a renaissance fair over the weekend and Vignette was just too slow at trying to catch any action....kept missing the money shots so switched back to stock. Have the same problem trying to catch my kid playing sports and stuff. Probably just use stock from now on unless it's a posed or still photo where timing doesn't matter.

Also don't like the zoom....wish the screen actually zoomed instead of giving that cropped/small box.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Was at a renaissance fair over the weekend and Vignette was just too slow at trying to catch any action....kept missing the money shots so switched back to stock. Have the same problem trying to catch my kid playing sports and stuff. Probably just use stock from now on unless it's a posed or still photo where timing doesn't matter.

Also don't like the zoom....wish the screen actually zoomed instead of giving that cropped/small box.

The file saving in Vignette is annoying and I only have it set to take 3.1mp pictures. They're just so much larger file size than the standard camera so it's understandable. Probably the reason they compress so heavily on the standard camera. And you're right about the zooming. I understand why they're doing it, it just doesn't really help.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
4975981818_76743cb924_b.jpg

I do really like the effects you can do in Vignette even if I still think they come out a little less clean in my case.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's true that Vignette underexposes the pictures, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A lof of pictures taken with the stock app in sunlight or even worse with flash tend to be washed out from too much light. On the other hand the Vignette pic may be a little darker, at least things dont look washed out. The colors are MUCH better and look a lot closer to what it's supposed to be and also looks much sharper with better detail. Perfect example is the first pic. Now granted, that darker underexposed look may not always be the best in all situations, but from the crap loads of pictures I've taken I can say well over 90% of pictures during lots of sunlight and/or night with flash look much better with Vignette than the stock.