Why are my pictures grainy when I send them to a friend ?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So I have Galaxy S23 and when I send a picture to my friend who has a iPhone the picture gets degraded/grainy quite a bit. Even when I view the picture afterwards of sending it within my my texting app it looks grainy also on my phone. By the way I'm using the stock google texting messaging app on my phone. Is there a way that I can adjust the the settings for how much the quality is reduced ? I understand it's for saving space/data but it's reducing the quality too much. When my she sends me a pictures from her end the pictures are much more crisp. Thanks

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Who's your carrier? AT&T limits the size of images sent via text to 1 MB. Texting apps sometimes gives you the option to resize them - usually by shrinking, or higher compression rate, or both to whatever the carrier limit is.

I use Textra on my Samsung and have to limit my images to 1 MB or it will fail going over AT&T. Some texting apps may automatically resize as needed. I'm not sure how Samsung's stock messages app does it, but I think it's automatic too.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Who's your carrier? AT&T limits the size of images sent via text to 1 MB. Texting apps sometimes gives you the option to resize them - usually by shrinking, or higher compression rate, or both to whatever the carrier limit is.

I use Textra on my Samsung and have to limit my images to 1 MB or it will fail going over AT&T. Some texting apps may automatically resize as needed. I'm not sure how Samsung's stock messages app does it, but I think it's automatic too.
I'm also on AT&T and have the same issue with iPhones ☹️

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This wouldn't be a problem if Apple moved away from the ancient SMS/MMS fallback and adopted RCS for messages coming from non-iPhones. But oh well, Apple's gonna Apple.:rolleyes:

You may want to email the photo instead, or share it using Google Photos.
As far as Apple is concerned there is already a solution to the problem. Buy an iPhone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
As far as Apple is concerned there is already a solution to the problem. Buy an iPhone.
Yep that seems to be their solution to every problem... having trouble with Android to iphone? Buy an iphone.

Having trouble with your iphone? Genius bar can't fix it, buy a new iphone.

Having trouble with the wife? Buy her an iphone.

Want world peace? You guessed it 😉

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Yep that seems to be their solution to every problem... having trouble with Android to iphone? Buy an iphone.

Having trouble with your iphone? Genius bar can't fix it, buy a new iphone.

Having trouble with the wife? Buy her an iphone.

Want world peace? You guessed it
Yup. Apples standard answer. Years ago my first smart phone was an apple. They sent out an update that bricked my phone. I called them up. They said I shouldn't of installed the update. Duh. Why did they send it then. Their answer was buy a new phone. I did. Bought a Samsung. Ain't left yet.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Spectrum mobile.

By the way I think there's still some image quality reducing even when it's a iPhone but I don't think it's nearly as bad as it is on androids.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone even if there wasn't really a fix to this problem other then using a different method like email but using email kind of breaks the momentum of a conversation.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
There was also the link share through Quick Share option.That shouldn't disrupt the flow too muc.

Can I use the Quick Share option with iPhone users and other android phones that aren't Samsung's brand without them having to use/download a separate app or other cons ? Thanks

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Can I use the Quick Share option with iPhone users and other android phones that aren't Samsung's brand without them having to use/download a separate app or other cons ? Thanks
Yes - you are sending a link to a file, and the receiver downloads on their device. No special app downloads required.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I usually send via FB messenger if I don't want quality to degrade too much. They seem to look better through FB messenger. My wife and I both use Google Messages so we can send high quality pics and videos to each other. It is really annoying that in 2023, there isn't a solution to this decade old problem.