Why doesn't Evo recognize 7-digit phone numbers?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Since your phone is mobile, you can't always assume you're going to be in the same area code; so why trust seven-digit numbers at all?

Perhaps it's a regional difference?

I live in Chicagoland where we have 10 different area codes that can be considered local. Factor in a lot of people my age (I'm 31) got their first cell phones while away at college, I probably have 15-20 different area codes for friends that live within a few miles. For those reasons, phone numbers are always 10 digits unless you're giving the number for an in town business.

At this point, it's become more natural to dial the 10 digit number than seven since it's needed more often than not. But, in an area that only has one area code, I can see where it could be annoying.

But as I said months ago, it's easier to add the seven digit iteration of the number to the same contact than it is to complain about it...

vr6glidriver

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
10 digits are required in the Atlanta market.. It weirds me out to go on vacation to some place (FL was the most recent) where all the numbers are xxx-xxxx on businesses.. Hasn't been that way in Atlanta in years.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
In the NY market for cellphones, the 10 digit number is required. In fact, this has been the case since I had my first nokia phone in 1998.

Even landlines, since there are so many area codes in NYC (and then even more again with the tri-state area), it has always been natural to recall the 10digit number.

jws6006

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that the point? Don't cell phones have an area code themselves. If I am out of area and dial a seven digit number I would expect to get a message saying I have to dial an area code first whether I am dialing home or a local number at my current location (since my phone area code doesn't match). It used to be that way with cell phones. I have an area code on all my numbers because I do travel. And when I am out of town I expect to dial an area code for contacts in my "home" location. But when I am home I am not required to dial all 10 digits, so why do I have to dial 10 digits for Evo to recognize the contact. Doesn't seem user friendly to me. All my other phones (there were numerous) acted this way.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I just started dialing a known contact's number into my Epic without the area code and it popped up recommendations, narrowed down with each number entered. I don't know what would happen if I actually placed the call though. I'm not about to disturb a client at 5:30am to find out.

Having said all that, I pretty much never dial numbers anymore. I don't even have my own mother's memorized.

Last edited:

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
My theory. There are so many diffent area code poping up everywhere, the carrier made it mandatory 10 digit number in case you go off to a different area with the same number different code.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays