What do you think will be in tuesdays 2.2 OTA update?

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question, YES.......and NO. The problem is How do you know that an application is just running a service vs. running as an app?

I get slow downs from ime to time and say, ok let me ATK. Well, 22 apps have just been "murdered" and have no idea what was causing the most lag.

If I am not using an app such as "QIK" or "Amazon Mp3", why is it running? it doesnt need location updates if its not on?

Of course "service-driven" apps such as GTalk, Gmail, ect.....should always run but c'mon at least let me mangae what comes on at power up.

But how can you be sure that any of those background services/apps were even causing your slowdown?? I've found performance on my Evo to be incredibly consistent regardless of how long it's been between reboots. I don't kill or manage apps/services. I trust Android to do that for me and it does it pretty darn well. I would strongly recommend against using ATK, but obviously knock yourself out (literally?) if you want to.

Have you read this yet : Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

mfeigley

May 25, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question, YES.......and NO. The problem is How do you know that an application is just running a service vs. running as an app?

I get slow downs from ime to time and say, ok let me ATK. Well, 22 apps have just been "murdered" and have no idea what was causing the most lag.

If I am not using an app such as "QIK" or "Amazon Mp3", why is it running? it doesnt need location updates if its not on?

Of course "service-driven" apps such as GTalk, Gmail, ect.....should always run but c'mon at least let me mangae what comes on at power up.

Amazon mp3 is just going to stay in the memory. Don't worry about it. It doesn't actually do anything in terms of using resources. Go into qik settings and set video mail sync to only on app launch. After that qik will just stay in the memory, not using resources. If you don't use Latitude, then go into maps and disable it. If it is enabled it will constantly use gps and hurt performance. You shouldn't have to use a task killer at all. Those apps, as long as they aren't set to polling, are just in the memory, not running, not using any resources.

All that said, froyo does provide performance enhancements, and I am seeing my free memory twice as high as before froyo. Amazon mp3 and qik will still automatically launch in your memory, but killing them will just cause more work for your phone, since it will have to put them back into your memory. My advice is to uninstall the task killer and not worry about the programs in memory. If your phone slows down, maybe try a reboot and that should speed it back up. It shouldn't happen too often, especially with froyo.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what is causing the partial wake locks then? This is the only thing I can think that is causing the batt life to go to poop again.
i see high partial wake locks and see apps showing in background that never were before unless I launched them in 2.1

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What do you think will be different in the OTA update that wasn't in the manual update already? Nothing? Bug fixes? A multitude of other awesome things?

You tell me

Oh and P.S. This is just because im curious on what everyone has in mind, nothing else.

I think some people are expecting a totally new OS which is not the case. The tweaks from 2.1 to 2.2 are minor. The biggest change are in performance... Overall benchmarks are greatly improved and you will get full Flash support instead of flash light. To the Naked eye your not going to notice any major differences. With Sense layered over top of the OS 2.1 and 2.2 look and act exactly the same.

Other minor upgrades are the ability (once developers upgrade their Apps) to move your Apps to the SD card, you get a flash light App built in (I downloaded the incredible flash light app the first week I had the EVO) The camera is slightly better when your using the auto ISO settings but you still get 100x better pictures if you manually adjust the ISO settings to your lighting (The higher the ISO for darker settings and lower ISO in bright lit rooms/area's)

The leaked ROM on Friday is damn close to the final build... Sprint and HTC can say it what they want but from Friday to Tuesday there isn't a whole lot they could change... They were probably 90% comfortable with that ROM and released it to some beta testers who obviously leaked it to the masses... Any tweaks between Friday and Tuesday are going to be minor.

I think the average everyday user is going to feel like it was much to do about nothing because again with Sense it looks and feels just like the 2.1 OS your using now. They always tweak the OS but this particular release had enough changes to justify 2.2 vs 2.1..... Gingerbread or 3.0 (or what ever the final build ends up being) will be a major change that you will notice right away...

Link to Android 2.2 and what to expect.. Even Google calls it a MINOR update..

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.2.html

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
And we know the leaked version was actually released to the beta testers on Friday how?

For all we know the .3 build could be month(s) old.

On Friday the Sprint support page listed the .3 build as the latest and greatest version... Once it got leaked HTC pulled it from their server and it magically disappeared from Sprints support page as well.

Also some people early in the day got .1 and some of us who downloaded later in the day got .3.... The final build might be .5 or .7 or .9 who knows.... As stable as the .3 build is my guess (again IMO) the .3 was a very close final build and was meant for Beta testing by a select group of probably employees and developers.... Then some one leaked the site to download....

Also it couldn't be MONTHS old since Google didn't release 2.2 to any one Late May Early June if I am not mistaken..... Before that it was only Google and the Nexus One....

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think some people are expecting a totally new OS which is not the case. The tweaks from 2.1 to 2.2 are minor. The biggest change are in performance... Overall benchmarks are greatly improved and you will get full Flash support instead of flash light. To the Naked eye your not going to notice any major differences. With Sense layered over top of the OS 2.1 and 2.2 look and act exactly the same.

Yeah. There were already a few disgruntled users who were expecting far more than promised from the leak update.

For whatever reason people are assuming things will be in the update when the update has been detailed as to what it would contain for months now.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. There were already a few disgruntled users who were expecting far more than promised from the leak update.

For whatever reason people are assuming things will be in the update when the update has been detailed as to what it would contain for months now.

Yeah and with Sense nothing is really different. I think some people are expecting to have a totally new phone after the update and that just isn't the case...

I like the minor changes/improvements they have made. Overall performance is better even on a build that MIGHT NOT be the final build...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non