Froyo problem: music player skips quiet/silent audio in mp3 file playback

polecat99

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having this problem? (yes I searched the forums, and did not find anything).

I installed the Foryo (2.2) update last night, now when I play a mp3 audio file, the silent parts are automatically skipped/deleted. I suppose that most people might not even notice this problem if you just listen to music. I am listening to a foreign language learning program, where they say a word and then pause for 3-5 seconds so that the listener can repeat the word aloud a few times.
Ever since the froyo update, all of the pauses are skipped over automatically. It's very strange. The non-silent parts of the audio sound fine.
I have tried the default music player and I just installed and tried the mixzing player and they both have the same problem.

I tried a reboot, it didn't help. I have not tried a full factory reset yet. This problem seems more like a codec problem or something, and I doubt a factory reset would help.

If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know.
If anyone can confirm that a factory reset has fixed this problem, then I will try it.
thanks

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
There was talk that Google acknowledged some bad audio quality in Froyo and is working on fixing that... but I haven't heard of skips in audio.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

polecat99

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It is only skipping silent parts, so you normally would never notice this, unless you happen to be listening to mp3s that have long, intentional silent parts,. such as a language training CD.

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried another music player app?
Try Mixzing. That's the only other music app I know.
It's in the market for free.