Can your Evo see your home network with the SSID hidden?

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone ever find a fix for this? My Evo will only connect to my home network when I'm actually broadcasting my SSID. My iphones never had this problem.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I was unable to get it to connect automagically to my home network with the SSID not broadcast. It will connect though with MAC addressing enabled.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
A little confused. Are you saying that you can't connect at all when the SSID is hidden, or that it won't connect automatically?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Protip: Stop hiding your SSID. All it does is cause problems (which is why it wasn't designed that way in the first place), and anyone who actually wants access to your wifi will know how to get it anyway (it takes like all of 2 seconds with a single program that requires no configuration. That is, a monkey could do it).

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Protip: Stop hiding your SSID. All it does is cause problems (which is why it wasn't designed that way in the first place), and anyone who actually wants access to your wifi will know how to get it anyway (it takes like all of 2 seconds with a single program that requires no configuration. That is, a monkey could do it).

But he doesn't want that rascally neighbor kid stealing the WiFis...

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
But he doesn't want that rascally neighbor kid stealing the WiFis...

Hiding the SSID does *nothing* to stop that. All it does is inconvenience legitimate users. Anyone with the slightest clue is going to be able to find out the SSID faster than you can speak it out loud.

Non-descriptive SSID's work much better.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If your network has no password/encryption, then hiding the SSID will keep casual users from accessing it. However, if you are using any type of encryption, hiding it is totally pointless. Casual users cannot break your encryption, and anyone who is capable of breaking it will laugh out loud mockingly when they see your "hidden" SSID.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hiding the SSID does *nothing* to stop that. All it does is inconvenience legitimate users. Anyone with the slightest clue is going to be able to find out the SSID faster than you can speak it out loud.

Non-descriptive SSID's work much better.

Clearly you didn't pick up on the sarcasm. ;)

I honestly have no clue why hiding the SSID is even an option.

Itchiee

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My network is hidden as well and it connects, although I registered the MAC address into the router beforehand. Hopefully Zero Cool doesn't live within my routers broadcasting radius...

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, it seems that some people have a problem with me hiding my ssid as if I have no right to...lol.

I don't consider hiding my ssid anything that major, it's an option and I chose to use it. Didn't know it would bother anyone and whether or not it provides any more security than not hiding it was never even a part of the topic of this thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer