All evo owners look in here

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering how many of you is this your first touch screen phone?

How long did it take for you to get used to texting and using the screen?

Does texting and everything on the screen still work as good as it did when brand new?

The reason i am asking because i was dead set on teh epic because of the keyboard, but then i started playin with a friend evo for 2 mins but wasnt enough time. I am steering away from the epic because of their problems and samsung i dont think puts out as good of a phone as htc. The moment was a disaster phone

rockdrummersrock

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My Evo is technically my 2nd touchscreen phone but I came from an ancient 2.X screen on an HTC Touch Pro and it had a keyboard so the Evo might as well be my first real touchscreen phone. I would say it took me little to no time to get comfortable using the touchscreen on the phone.

Touch is pretty intuitive and if you've played with anyones iphones or anything like that its pretty simplistic. Texting on the Evo is just a joy. Normally I like physical keys and keyboards and odds are if the Epic and Evo had released together I would have gone Epic just for the keyboard. Thankfully they did not release together and I got this wonderful brick of sheer joy.

The large screen means that keys are bigger and even my relatively thick thumbs have no problem shooting out texts quickly and with the great android dictionary/autocorrecting, mistakes are minimal and easy to fix. I would say I got a hang of it after just playing around a few days and typing websites, texts, emails etc. and as far as the screen goes it is as flawless as the day I bought it (I would say mainly because I put a screen protector on it since day 1.

If you ask my opinion, the epic is a sexy phone with great hardware but samsung support and software quality is awful. I've had a few of their phones in the past and I cannot stand the way they set up their software, if you're going to get a smartphone, go HTC.

Hope this helps!

blakjak220

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My Evo is my first touchscreen phone and....

I've had it for about 2 months and I must say, it was kinda slow learning how to type on the keyboard and navigate around for the first week but it's as fast and intuitive as could be now.

And about the touchscreen.. it's as sensitive and useful now as when I first got it. The phone really does just get better because I figure out new things about it all the time.

About problems that many people have reported with the Evo since they came out... I have had none of them, not even one. My battery life is great, no crack by the power button, no leaky screen... and that last update that freed up the FPS made a real difference.

My opinion, go for the Evo.. you won't regret it

jamesrshaffer3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
my first full touchscreen and Ive had this phone since july 1st... I came from a palm pre... I don't know what I would do now w/o the evo.. it is awesome!! texting/emailing on all touchscreen, I think is awesome,,, maybe it wouldnt be if it were on a smaller screen, but the screen is nice!!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I might trade my Evo for an epic, it'd be free sooo...

Devs have already made touchwiz bearable and I do like a physical kb over touch.

Besides just imagining the epic with froyo makes my head spin, and the screen.. oooo ahhh

mstrowe

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My Evo is my 4th touchscreen and I have had it since Sept 2nd. I love it hands down. A herd of rabid buffalo couldn't separate me from my Evo.

I would never get a Epic, Samsung makes the instinct too... nuff said.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is my 3rd touch screen phone. had a instinct, palm centre, and now the Evo.

Took me almost a week to get the keyboard down. Evo replaced my Curve. I can now type on the evo better than my curve. I have big hands. I find it easier with the bigger screen..

The touch screen is just as good as day one.

On the Epic.... I almost went with one because the evo was so hard to find in stock. When the epic came out... First day out. that evening went to best buy, radio shack, and the sprint store in the mall.. All of the epic's keyboards were very loose. Even the live unit from the sprint store had a lot of play in the keyboard. $250.00 for a phone in my opinion that feels like a toy. The evo just feels solid. Screen is nice, but I like the bigger screen on the evo.,4.3" is noticeable.. Glad I got the evo. it really is the best phone I have ever owned.

By the way.. Evo's are still hard to find!! You can go into any store and they all have plenty of epic's.that says something.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had other phones with touchscreens (Centro, Pre, Moment) but the EVO is the first one I've owned with only a touchscreen and no physical keyboard, which I assume is what the OP is talking about. I had the EVO's keyboard down within the first day, but I did have some experience with on screen keyboards because I played around with the homebrew one on the Pre and also used the Moment's on screen keyboard.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Not even close to my first. Let's see, Samsung Instinct, 3 iPhones, and the Epic before coming to the EVO for a final time.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have had several
EVO
Samsung Moment
Palm Pre
HTC Hero
HTC Touch Pro
HTC Touch Diamond
HTC Touch

I may have a bit of an obsession when it comes to cell phones. Getting used to a virtual keyboard takes a little bit, but I have grown to prefer them to a physical keyboard. My wife has an Epic, but she prefers the keyboard. I have never had a screen become less responsive over time. Maybe I have been lucky, but they have always worked consistently for me.

It all comes down to personal taste. Sprint has a 30 return policy. I would suggest try one of them out, and if you don't like it, return it for the other phone.

On a side note, having had many touchscreens, as well as several BB phones before, I will say that the Epic keyboard is the best I have ever used.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had quite a few touch screens,,,,most were a disaster....love the EVO's on screen keyboard and have since added the "better keyboard" app which is an excellent way to change the look of the keyboard.

tsims10s

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My path went from Blackberry 8830 to Palm Pre to HTC Hero to Samsung Epic to HTC Evo. The Evo is by far the best phone I've ever used. It's solid, instantly responsive, and has replaced my laptop use in some ways. I've used several different keyboards apps but my current favorite is Ultra Keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non