4G in Dallas

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I bought the Evo last week, I live in Arizona where there is no 4G yet but I travel very often to Dallas. This is my first trip to Dallas since I got the Evo and I was very excited to try 4G. Almost anywhere I try it it scans and either connect with a very poor signal or does not find 4G. I checked the Sprint 4G map and I am supposed to have a very strong 4G signal where I am.

Is 4G very soptty or my phone has issues?

Thanks

Forgot to add that my Evo is rooted and flashed with the latest version of the Sprint Lovers ROM.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
A good diagnose would be to unroot the phone - then do a proper testing for 4G connection.

Ps. Are you quite sure that where you are have 4G coverage. I would also check your device to see that you have 4G turn on as well.

Best of luck.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
A good diagnose would be to unroot the phone - then do a proper testing for 4G connection.

Ps. Are you quite sure that where you are have 4G coverage. I would also check your device to see that you have 4G turn on as well.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the reply. I checked the zip code where I am staying on the Sprint 4G map and it has the best 4G signal.

Question: Can i have the phone rooted but not flashed with any custom ROM?

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Having lived in Dallas for 15 years, I can tell you that the coverage is spotty. Don't believe the hype. For instance, I live in Plano (Dallas suburb) and on George Bush (I-190), I get perfect 4G from Preston to Hwy 75 but from Preston to Midway, the coverage is spotty at best. Now, when I go to downtown Dallas, the coverage is spotty but when I go uptown Dallas, it's on again pretty strong.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree the 4g in the DFW area can be spotty but I think you might have anouther issue you should check and make sure you have the latest radios installed. Check XDA for the latest radios its a sticky in the EVO ROM development forums let me know if you can't find it I will post a link

Hope that helps
Dave

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree the 4g in the DFW area can be spotty but I think you might have anouther issue you should check and make sure you have the latest radios installed. Check XDA for the latest radios its a sticky in the EVO ROM development forums let me know if you can't find it I will post a link

Hope that helps
Dave

I would really appriceate if you post the link,

Thank you

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I too have found the 4g kinda spotty in my area of Texas,,,,but after 6 months I've been able to figure out the good and bad areas for where I live....for instance...inside my den 3g.....in the dining room 4g......loooool....go figure....:)

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Orange has ya covered for the link make sure you read the entire first post. A radio flash is just like flashing a ROM but with a couple extra steps.

Dave

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I live in Dallas as well and their 4G maps are not reliable.
Also keep in mind 4G is horrible when it comes to building / structure penetration. Its a lower power transmitter and initially they were put up at the same sites as Sprints regular CDMA network. The problem with that is you get 1/3 to 1/4 the distance with WiMax versus CDMA. The next phase is to fill in the gaps and increase in building penetration. Once that is done then we can rely on 4G inside our businesses and residences. In theory of course.
Next time your in Dallas, try going outside and seeing if you can connect.
Also like another poster mentioned make sure you have the latest radios installed.
I noticed with the 3.70 update (new Kernel, new radios, new wimax) my 4G seemed to become more stable in the few places where i can get it at.
My 3G also seemed to improved in speed as well.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for the help, I come from a very good webOS community and I already like this community as well.

Question about the radio flash. I noticed that this radio flash is kind of old, would that be a problem with my new Evo? Also, is it as simple as copying the zip file to my SD card and flash it from the recovery boot?

Thank you