Think I need to hard reset my Evo...need advice first

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My main reason for wanting to hard reset is memory related--I keep getting the 'Low on space' notification, even though I think I have relatively few apps all together compared to what it seems many others users have, and of those I do have I have, every one that allows me to do so is copied to the SD card. The notification appears whenever I get to about 88-89% used (+/-42MB remaining). I have cleared the cache and soft reset repeatedly with the same result. What's so frustrating about this is, whenever the 'Low on space' notification appears, my Google account will not sync at all (not even manually).

All that said, I am presently getting the notification off and on constantly (mostly on)...and my calendar is totally jacked--some of my calendars sync, some partially sync, and some don't sync at all, even when I do not have the notification (yes, they are all set to sync). So I am hoping that a hard reset will get me back on track and fix whatever is causing the memory and related (I think) sync issues.

If I do a hard reset, all my previously downloaded apps (paid and free) be restored when I visit the Market? Will all my apps currently on the SD card remain unaffected?

Any other help, advice and/or suggestions are welcome...

Thanks!
ME

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you do a hard reset, you will have to go back to the market and download and re-install your apps. Any apps you paid for will not charge you a 2nd time because it is tied to your Google account.

Make sure you have you contacts backed up to Google and personally, I like to use "Just Shoot Me" to take screenshots of how my EVO is set up before I do a hard reset so I don't have to remember how I had my screens set up.

If you run low on space again, it might be worth it to root, get rid of the bloat and maybe run a ROM that is lighter like Sprint Lovers, Calkulin's EViO 2, or Myn's Warm (for Sense ROMs).

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Eight out of ten times that error is caused by a corrupt app(s) you may have installed on the device.

First, try removing a few apps to see if you continue to get the "low on space" message.

Another thing you could do is - since you don't have that much apps to start with •> uninstall and reinstall the ones you have installed on the device. That work out great for me when I was having unexplained issues.

Best of luck.

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful suggestions and info. I think i will try rushrl's suggestions first of removing and reloading apps. Will keep you posted...

ME

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Corrupted apps? Ive never heard of such a thing...

Anyways, let us know how you fix it as i havent heard of this issue before.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
you've either got a lot more apps then you realize. or the problem is in your email.

i don't have a lot of apps. and i have 200 megs free space. so, for you to say you only got 42 megs. makes you having more apps then me.

LOL.

but if you have your email set to hold every email you've ever gotten. that's tieing up your space also. i had that setting once. and man was my phone slow. i think my phone is set for 30 days now. meaning the phone only holds 30 days of email. but the actual server holds them for who knows how long.

TheEngineer

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Choose all apps. The choose Menu > Sort by size. See what is taking up space. Report back.

Rivest

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what apps you have. But, I have downloaded several apps that always make my phone give the low memory error. Even though I have 280 MB internal memory left. Once I delete the apps the message goes away. I can't remember the apps, but I know 'isnipeyou' was one of them. I usually reset my phone once or twice a month. It's good to clean it out. Also, I kind of like setting everything up and redownloading apps again. I suffer from app hoarding. I keep apps I will never use, so resetting the phone gets rid of them. lol

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If you do a hard reset, you will have to go back to the market and download and re-install your apps. Any apps you paid for will not charge you a 2nd time because it is tied to your Google account.

What I am actually wondering about this is, will the apps I previously downloaded still be listed under 'My Apps,' or will I have to hunt them down one-by-one?

you've either got a lot more apps then you realize. or the problem is in your email.

Quite a while back I set my email to sync only the last 7 days or so, so it shouldn't be that. Still, I'll double check to see if I have any hidden items (in folders) that are hogging up space.

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Choose all apps. The choose Menu > Sort by size. See what is taking up space. Report back.

Hopefully I'll have time late tonight to report back...

Have you tried clearing the cache of your apps? Has always worked for me.

Many times. Ironically, every time I go into an app (under 'Manage Apps') to clear the cache, it's either already at 0.00 or it immediately clears to 0.00 before I even tap the button.

cmacelis

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Just use App brain to sync your apps, do the reset, go back to market and re download, go to app brain web site and send app links back to your phone

Sent from my HTC EVO, using Tapatalk

Reactions: OnePalmAddict

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just use App brain to sync your apps, do the reset, go back to market and re download, go to app brain web site and send app links back to your phone

Thanks. Although I've run into it before, I'm not really that familiar with App Brain. However, it looks very useful and easy to utilize. I'll definitely give it a whirl.

ME

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, according to AppBrain I have 95 total apps with a total size of 139MB (keep in mind that a majority of these apps are on the SD card). However, Adao File Manager shows my application memory at 382M/427M. Even assuming that this includes the stock apps (e.g., Calendar, Weather, etc.) and even if ALL my apps were in internal memory, that would mean another 240M is being used by the stock apps. Is this possible??

ME

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I finally got to it and figured out how to hard reset. So far, so good (fingers crossed), except for two (hopefully) minor issues:

1. I did sign up for AppBrain and seemed to get all my apps synced to the cloud. However, I seem unable figure out how, from the web, to send my apps back to my phone. I have a list of them with check boxes besides each one, but only have buttons to 'Add to List' or 'Uninstall,' and when I click on the link for a specific app, I still have no indication of how to send it to my phone. Note that I DO have the Fast Web Installer on my phone and activated. (FWIW, right now I am selectively re-installing apps so I can watch my memory status, so figuring this out is more for future use.)
  2. Another thing I am seeing is this: I use EasyTether with my netbook; reinstalling the app on my phone and re-registering it was simple and painless. Previously, unless I was tethered, I had no indication of the app on my phone other than seeing it in my app tray; when tethered, it would launch automatically and I would get the USB Debugging notification icon (bold triangle with exclamation point). Now, I ALWAYS have an 'ET' notification icon and when I open the notification tray, next to the icon is 'EasyTether enabled (select to disable or to change options).' I have NEVER had such a notification previously when using or not using ET, and I can find no way to remove this notification. Anyone know what's going on here and how I can turn this notification off?
Thanks for the help!

ME

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Or deleted all of his text threads...Texting eats up some room if you leave the threads.

I do have quite a few text threads with thousands of texts (which, of course, I sacrificed when I hard reset). I actually like to keep my text history and have found doing so very useful on multiple occasions. I wouldn't think these would eat up too much memory, as this has been my practice for years without any problems that I am aware of.

Anybody else agree/disagree? Also, is it possible to archive texts on the SD card and keep my phone memory free of them?