Update has made my EVO unusable

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
After the gingerbread update I am no longer able to use my password to unlock the screen. Tried removing and replacing battery. With the screen locked, unable to do anything except make emergency calls.

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
thats a weird issue. you try calling sprint and see if they can do anything for you?

maybe you should try 0000 just incase the update reset the app somehow. it wont hurt to try

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
thats a weird issue. you try calling sprint and see if they can do anything for you?

maybe you should try 0000 just incase the update reset the app somehow. it wont hurt to try
Thanks, 0000 didn't help. Don't think this is Sprint's problem, more like Google's. If I have to do a complete reset and start from scratch, I am going to lose dozens of my favorite apps. Yikes.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, 0000 didn't help. Don't think this is Sprint's problem, more like Google's. If I have to do a complete reset and start from scratch, I am going to lose dozens of my favorite apps. Yikes.

Go to the android market from your computer, I think it was market.android.com

There you can see all the apps you have installed, I think the market remembers them all, that way it should be a breeze to put them back on the phone. Of course you will loose any game progress and settings and stuff like that. Hopefully you synched all your contacts to your gmail account, so those should come back right away too.

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone remember the hard reset sequence? Hope I am able to do that, since this thing is quite unresponsive with the screen locked.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I would try a couple diff single number passwords first... like 1111, 9999, and also the last 4 of your phone number as well before you hard reset.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Apparently not. Tried my gmail password and that didn't work either. But thanks for the suggestion.

Keep putting in the wrong password.... it takes like 10,15,20 times.... you should get a notification asking if you would like to reset your password .... click ok and you should get a email.

Sent From The Tree House Out Back!

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Keep putting in the wrong password.... it takes like 10,15,20 times.... you should get a notification asking if you would like to reset your password .... click ok and you should get a email.

Stopped counting after 20, but did a whole bunch more... no joy, but thanks.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Stopped counting after 20, but did a whole bunch more... no joy, but thanks.

Sorry m8 hope that would help you. Worked for my wife's Shift, she made up a new gmail account when she got it and setup her screen lock with a pin. Woke up the next morning and completely for got the pin.

jinxltd

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
After the gingerbread update I am no longer able to use my password to unlock the screen. Tried removing and replacing battery. With the screen locked, unable to do anything except make emergency calls.

This has happened to me awhile ago, not sure if this will work for you but if someone calls you, you can still answer the phone without a password right? (If not than I'm sorry this won't work.) So call your phone answer it and than you should be able to get in the phone atleast to try to attempt to change it, or turn it off. Last resort would be to copy you entire SD card to your desktop, go into boot loader, factory reset, clear all user data, than drag your old file (or the pieces you want back to the root of the SD card. This may work, I've had some luck with this method though I've physically pulled the SD card put it in a reader loaded and copied to desktop than formatted and rebuilt. However you may need the PC36img.zip to place on-the-root of SD card but than your really starting over. But as long as you save it to your desktop first you should be able to recover most data.

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me awhile ago, not sure if this will work for you but if someone calls you, you can still answer the phone without a password right? (If not than I'm sorry this won't work.) So call your phone answer it and than you should be able to get in the phone atleast to try to attempt to change it, or turn it off. Last resort would be to copy you entire SD card to your desktop, go into boot loader, factory reset, clear all user data, than drag your old file (or the pieces you want back to the root of the SD card. This may work, I've had some luck with this method though I've physically pulled the SD card put it in a reader loaded and copied to desktop than formatted and rebuilt. However you may need the PC36img.zip to place on-the-root of SD card but than your really starting over. But as long as you save it to your desktop first you should be able to recover most data.
I had already planned to copy the sd card. Called the sprint tech people yesterday, and got the opinion that it would require a hard reset, but if I took it into the store they could possibly recover my data for me. I was desperate enough that I even tried the reset method of holding the volume down button, and then powering on and releasing the volume button... didn't work. Will try your phone call trick a little later. Thanks for the tips.

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You're gonna have to do a factory reset on your phone
That is part of the problem. It is locked up so tight I can't do a reset. I can't get beyond the screen lock password keyboard. It won't accept the password, Can't connect to my computer via usb. Won't respond to volume down, power on, release volume sequence. Removing and replacing battery doesn't work. Do you have any other ideas?

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me awhile ago, not sure if this will work for you but if someone calls you, you can still answer the phone without a password right? (If not than I'm sorry this won't work.) So call your phone answer it and than you should be able to get in the phone atleast to try to attempt to change it, or turn it off.

I thought if you get a call and your screen is locked, you still need to unlock the phone to do anything other than use the Phone app, no? Whenever I hang up, I always get the lock screen.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I thought if you get a call and your screen is locked, you still need to unlock the phone to do anything other than use the Phone app, no? Whenever I hang up, I always get the lock screen.

holy crap, I would hope it required a pin to unlock even while on a call... that would be a huge security hole. I'm about to make a move to android, but... that would stop me instantly.