2.2 rollback?

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I read on the forum that sprint said it wasn't possible to rollback to 2.2. I spoke with sprint this morning and the tech said he didn't think a 2.3 fix was coming out for a few weeks. He also said it wasn't possible for Sprint to roll my phone back to 2.2, but he suggested checking the HTC site maybe. I searched the HTC site, but found nothing. I find it hard to believe that we cannot reinstall 2.2. Anyone have any luck or insights? I don't think I can wait 3 weeks for a (maybe) gb fix! The main issue is that my battery life has been slashed by 33%.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
believe it or not....the sprint rep was right....you cant rollback to 2.2. there should've been a fix for 2.3 yesterday (from software version 4.22.651.2 to 4.24.651.1), unless you're talking about a root exploit...which the sprint reps will know nothing about

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
YOU can't roll it back. THEY can. But they won't. I know of one tech that got his hands slapped for doing so.

The maintenance update for GB is available today.

bj

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I got the update shortly after your replies. This particular update doesn't address the massively shortened battery life issue, though. I'm pretty annoyed by that. The weakest link to the Evo was the stock battery life, and now the gb "upgrade" made it even worse. That's some bs. I don't think other Android owners have the same HTC short battery life issue....

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I got the update shortly after your replies. This particular update doesn't address the massively shortened battery life issue, though. I'm pretty annoyed by that. The weakest link to the Evo was the stock battery life, and now the gb "upgrade" made it even worse. That's some bs. I don't think other Android owners have the same HTC short battery life issue....

my battery life has improved.

Reactions: doc69

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

You probably just need to configure your settings the way that they were before. When any new UI comes out, the settings can go back to factory presets. My battery life has not changed at all, if anything - it has gotten better. I am on a Gorilla Gadget extended battery (Seidle knockoff at 1/3rd the price). I can easily make it through a full day and a couple of movies...

If I were you, I would go through the settings and see if anything was changed to default (like auto sync).

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You probably just need to configure your settings the way that they were before. When any new UI comes out, the settings can go back to factory presets. My battery life has not changed at all, if anything - it has gotten better. I am on a Gorilla Gadget extended battery (Seidle knockoff at 1/3rd the price). I can easily make it through a full day and a couple of movies...

If I were you, I would go through the settings and see if anything was changed to default (like auto sync).

i did actually check to see that all my settings were as before, and they all are.

as for autosync, i had that turned on before GB, and also i need to get my emails regularly, so i cant turn that off, unless you know of a secret tip or something.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Quite correct, they (HTC/Sprint) can "roll" you back to OS 2.2 if they wanted to... is a matter of flashing the prior ROM image to the phone.
the sprint guy at the store (an authorized dealer, not a "sprint store") said that sprint usually puts up the old OS's online "later", so he seemed to believe that froyo will be available in a few weeks ... we'll see.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Word of advice to OP.. Like Android Central, and many other experts say. Factory data reset after doing major OS upgrades like Froyo to Gingerbread. Try that, then I bet you the battery issues go away. Every user I have encountered personally with these issues, say the same thing. Once we have done a fresh reset of the device, the battery balanced out and went back to normal. It's just the way Android is, and when doing upgrades both versions utilize things a different way, and some times that causes the system to not re-learn everything correctly in terms of resource managing. Try that, then come back and tell me you still have a battery issue. ;)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the original question has been answered. I just thought I'd throw this out there based on my experience with the various upgrades I've been through.

I'd agree with monster and do a factory reset after a major upgrade such as this one. When the carriers and manufactures test their software they cannot account for all the variations of 3rd party apps that users have. They install the final release on fresh phone and test from there.

When Froyo was pushed out to the EVO there were MAJOR problems that where most were resolved by 2 things:

1) A hard reset.
2) Discontinuing the use of task killers.

If you've enabled "backup my settings and Automatic Restore" in system settings, you will be up and running in know time. Apps are re-downloaded and system settings are re-applied. There will be some configuration you might have to do with various apps, but it will be well worth the weight. If you don't want to lose call logs and/or SMS messages, there are some free and simple to use apps in the market that will back these up.

In the end, following this process might not resolve any issue but it will rule out the possibility that something didn't go right during the upgrade process. If you've upgraded already just do the hard reset part.

You guys are not alone on the poor battery life front. Every phone I've owned could have been hooked up to a car battery and still gotten poor battery life. There's just too much going on inside these phones competing for a limited resource.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I think the original question has been answered. I just thought I'd throw this out there based on my experience with the various upgrades I've been through.

I'd agree with monster and do a factory reset after a major upgrade such as this one. When the carriers and manufactures test their software they cannot account for all the variations of 3rd party apps that users have. They install the final release on fresh phone and test from there.

When Froyo was pushed out to the EVO there were MAJOR problems that where most were resolved by 2 things:

1) A hard reset.
2) Discontinuing the use of task killers.

If you've enabled "backup my settings and Automatic Restore" in system settings, you will be up and running in know time. Apps are re-downloaded and system settings are re-applied. There will be some configuration you might have to do with various apps, but it will be well worth the weight. If you don't want to lose call logs and/or SMS messages, there are some free and simple to use apps in the market that will back these up.

In the end, following this process might not resolve any issue but it will rule out the possibility that something didn't go right during the upgrade process. If you've upgraded already just do the hard reset part.

You guys are not alone on the poor battery life front. Every phone I've owned could have been hooked up to a car battery and still gotten poor battery life. There's just too much going on inside these phones competing for a limited resource.

Thanks for the info. So if I select "backup my settings and auto restore" on my phone, then reset factory data settings, all that backed data will be automatically restored (I don't care abt call logs and sms's)? I also use the lookout app that backs up my data, but I never had to use that backup yet. And where is the "backup my settings..." option? I looked through settings and didn't find it.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Settings>Privacy>Back up my data and Automatic restore. Also while you are there i believe you can factory data reset while you are in the Privacy folder.

Yes, it will automatically restore it after you go through the inital setup and log into your gmail account.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
<snip>

If you've enabled "backup my settings and Automatic Restore" in system settings, you will be up and running in know time.

<snip>

Cory -- can you tell us how to enable that? I searched and found that it is supposed to be on "Settings -> Privacy", but I do not have a Privacy settings page.

Thanks!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Cory -- can you tell us how to enable that? I searched and found that it is supposed to be on "Settings -> Privacy", but I do not have a Privacy settings page.

Thanks!

Finally found it....I'd read of the super secret way of getting to the Privacy settings page but could never do it. I saw that you had to enable "settings" in the searchable items, but I was trying to do a search from my home page.

For those other people confused like me, just open Settings, then hit the Search button and type privacy, it will show you that settings page.

Next question is what exactly does this backup and restore do?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
...Next question is what exactly does this backup and restore do?

In theory is supposed to make an automatic backup of your phone settings, program data and apps lists to a Google server. Not sure if supposed to back up your screen shortcuts as well. Once you do a factory reset and log in with your gmail account, in theory the restore setting should bring back your phone settings, programs and data back to your phone in much the same way it repopulates your calendar and contacts.

In real life, I have tried it and is very hit or miss, most times it failed to restore anything. I have also noticed on the Nexus that this option when checked causes my screens to become a little more sluggish and occasionally cause the screen to freeze for a second or so.

Given the spotty nature of the service and the apparent impact on performance, I have turned this feature off for now. I have not noticed any impact on battery life either way.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I just wiped my phone. I used the "restore factory settings" button in the settings menu. And I too have found the backup and restore doesn't work. Also, none of my apps were saved at Android market/my apps (or whatever its called). I did save my contacts to my card, and pics, videos and music go to the card anyways, so I basically had to just re do all the app stuff and sms and emails configs.

So far, haven't noticed anything spectacular with batty life, but lemme give it a fair shake. Here's to hoping.

Last edited:

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I am down to about 20% on the 3500 extended battery after 8 hours. Granted, its been a heavy 8 hours with the phone reset and then app downloading, etc., but compare the normal preGB life of 18 with heavy-ish use, and even the 12 hours heavy-ish use pre phone reset. This thing is getting worse with each "fix"...

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I am down to about 20% on the 3500 extended battery after 8 hours. Granted, its been a heavy 8 hours with the phone reset and then app downloading, etc., but compare the normal preGB life of 18 with heavy-ish use, and even the 12 hours heavy-ish use pre phone reset. This thing is getting worse with each "fix"...

Then you have an app causing the problems. Only because I can push almost 3 days of life with the Sprint 2600mah. What I would do now, is install Spare Parts from the market and check partial wake usage and or usage charts. To see if an app is causing the high drain. Because I can tell you right now, it's not GB. Only because again with my smaller battery I can push more life then you.

Also post what you have syncing and to what refresh rate. That can also shed some light. Are you running 4G constantly? GPS?

Also upon restoring your info, remember that your gmail saves your contacts, calendars and emails. So no need to ever back that up onto the SD. As for apps? I always recommend this... https://market.android.com/details?id=com.punsoftware.backup&feature=search_result
That will save your list of apps, then when you start up your phone from fresh. You download that app again, hit restore and go through and re-install everything. Easiest way