Anyone getting tired of the Flyer?

tekbud

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Flyer and pen the day it was released. I had dreams of replacing my work notebooks where I keep so much information about all of my meetings, staff task lists, my own lists, etc. I had hoped that evernote would save the day for me and make life easier.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. It could be entirely me, but I find that I'm actually less organized keeping everything in evernote. I'm seriously considering going back to old fashion spiral bound notebooks and pens. My handwriting is still a mess on this device. I still struggle with the device saving my work while I'm trying to finish writing something or taking a note. I've never used the recorder and doubt I ever will. Were my thoughts of going to an electronic pen a mistake?

Anyone else feeling this way after having used the Flyer now for a few months?

adamm44

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to get rid of the fashioned pen and notebook method. I still use it, and it's always going to be faster. I can't speak for the pen very much. I still haven't bought one for my Flyer. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas from my wife. I've used it once in Best Buy, it was usable, but definitely not as fast or accurate as I could write with an ink pen. I bought the Flyer because I like HTC and wanted a 7" tablet. I am still very happy with mine. I mainly use it for web browsing, music, games, and sometimes movies. If you can hold out, wait till HTC releases the SDK for the pen to developers. Who know exactly when that's going to be though? Also wait till Honeycomb is out and see if that might add more to your experience with the Flyer.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you can hold out, wait till HTC releases the SDK for the pen to developers. Who know exactly when that's going to be though? Also wait till Honeycomb is out and see if that might add more to your experience with the Flyer.

The pen SDK was already made available to developers; it's part of the OpenSense SDK that went live on the HTCDev site sometime in the last month or two. Unfortunately it went live with very little fanfare, and most people probably don't even know it happened.

For my part, I've stopped using the Flyer for note-taking ever since I had to replace my first one due to software corruption. I can't back up my work notes to the Evernote cloud (opens a whole can of worms for attorney-client privilege and attorney work product), and losing those notes due to software problems sucked. I had copied the folder where the Flyer saves notes to my SD card, but my replacement Flyer was unable to re-open those copies as notes without the pre-existing notebook structure from the first Flyer. If HTC really wants the Notes app to be useful, they need to make the notes save in a dedicated file format instead of as several separate image layers that have to be pieced together.

I still use my Flyer for e-reading and comic books through Comixology, but it's certainly not living up to its potential.

I'm still holding out for some Honeycomb action at some point. Also, has anyone gotten the new Android Market on their Flyer yet?

adamm44

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I wasn't aware the SDK was released. I haven't gotten the new market on my Flyer yet. I've had it on my Incredible for well over a month.

Artisanthe

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it's hard to Judge yet....without the Full Functionality of the Magic Pen. For now, My Flyer is still awesome. It's right by my nightstand and I start my day with it. I use it for Notes, Contracts, Proposals.....and Barely for Sketches. I wish the Camera had a Flash.

I have played with the Puccini/Jetstream....the Flyers Bigger Brother. The Pen is a whole new experience with Honeycomb. I did not actually plan to Ugrade? to Honeycomb, but after seeing how the Pen works nearly Everywhere with it....I am waiting Anxiously.

Still waiting for the New Market? I've had the New Market on my Flyer for almost as long as I've had it. You can download the APK Here: New Android Market works on HTC Flyer. Grab APK Here - xda-developers

Enjoy and let's Hope HTC makes some sort of Announcement next week for Honeycomb on the Flyer....D

woodiah

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it's hard to Judge yet....without the Full Functionality of the Magic Pen. For now, My Flyer is still awesome. It's right by my nightstand and I start my day with it. I use it for Notes, Contracts, Proposals.....and Barely for Sketches. I wish the Camera had a Flash.

I would have to say that my Flyer has replaced my notebook - In fact I do not take a notebook when traveling. Of course, I usually have access to a desktop wherever I am heading, but in between I can do everything on the Flyer.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512

scale998

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I got a chance to test a Flyer with Honeycomb 3.1 update (not officially released yet, should be soon). The best feature is that the pen can be used for touch input, and when writing with the pen, the touch is blocked. So I can rest my palm on the screen when writing. For example, I can write very good notes with MaplePaint.

adamm44

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I got a chance to test a Flyer with Honeycomb 3.1 update (not officially released yet, should be soon). The best feature is that the pen can be used for touch input, and when writing with the pen, the touch is blocked. So I can rest my palm on the screen when writing. For example, I can write very good notes with MaplePaint.

That's good to hear they are developing the pen a little more. I think it will be Honeycomb 3.2 when the official update is released. It's designed for 7" tablets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa