two button set up inconvenient?

buckwheatdx

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I was shocked when I first read that the ONE would only have two buttons. I'm curious how inconvenient it will be that the ONE only has two bottom row buttons? will app makers have to create on screen menu button options for this phone? And will the on screen buttons feel out of place when they are there? I'm an iPhone user that plans to make the switch so i'm not that familiar with android..

Last edited:

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's going to be a major inconvenience. The only button really left out is the multitasking one to list apps and you can get the same functionality by double tapping home. I'll be switching from an iphone to it when it's finally released here in Canada but I've used android devices pretty regularly for over a year now and I think it will only take a few minutes for me to get the hang of it.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I was shocked when I first read that the ONE would only have two buttons. I'm curious how inconvenient it will be that the ONE only has two bottom row buttons? will app makers have to create on screen menu button options for this phone? And will the on screen buttons feel out of place when they are there? I'm an iPhone user that plans to make the switch so i'm not that familiar with android..

The only button that will show up on screen is the menu button, but thats only on older apps that havent been updated to Google's new standard. Google removed the menu button in ICS. There is also an option to set the back button to launch the menu when you tap and hold, which would get rid of the onscreen menu button.

It looks like this:
menu-button.jpg

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The only button that will show up on screen is the menu button, but thats only on older apps that havent been updated to Google's new standard. Google removed the menu button in ICS. There is also an option to set the back button to launch the menu when you tap and hold, which would get rid of the onscreen menu button.

It looks like this:
http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/menu-button.jpg

That's what I don't want! I hated how that menu button showed up on my EVO LTE until they updated their software to share use with the multi-tasking key. I still have a few apps that would display that on screen menu button. What a waste of gorgeous screen space. :-\

integralus

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
That's what I don't want! I hated how that menu button showed up on my EVO LTE until they updated their software to share use with the multi-tasking key. I still have a few apps that would display that on screen menu button. What a waste of gorgeous screen space. :-\

I saw in one of the videos that the One can use a Back button long press as the menu button.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Will Rosario

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
i dont think it will be an inconvenience personally. it borrows the same configuration of the iPhone, one button for home, double tap to multitasking, hold down for Google Now. plus the added convenience of the back button where its supposed to be, to the left. Its not that difficult to get adjusted to them, the longer we use things the better adjusted to them we become. Not a big deal as others make it seem.

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes!! Can anybody point me to that video?

no video but here's an xda link that has a picture of the options present for mapping the back button .. pic is courtesy of android police.. The thread also notices that the functionality was removed from the retail units.. at least in germany so guess we'll have to wait and see here in the us...

[MOD/Fix]Re-enable back button menu - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty