Dropped my HTC One in water

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This sucks. Now i have a loaner phone from best buy until I get my replacement. I guess this is why I got Best Buy insurance. So now I am stuck with a Samsung GSII. That was the first time I dropped my phone and it just happened to be into my sink, full of water. All I have to say be careful. :(

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
This sucks. Now i have a loaner phone from best buy until I get my replacement. I guess this is why I got Best Buy insurance. So now I am stuck with a Samsung GSII. That was the first time I dropped my phone and it just happened to be into my sink, full of water. All I have to say be careful. :(

Did you try and dry it out yourself? Phones these days are actually pretty good at recovering. Watch this video from 0:40 onwards. They submerge an S4 and iphone (which has a non-removable battery like HTC one) in water until they stop working, dry them out in a box of rice for a few days and the S4 seems to work fine. I'm sure yours was submerged for a much shorter amount of time. Never had to do it myself (touch wood) but I know someone who recently revived a wet Galaxy S2 with the rice method. Just thought it was worth mentioning in case anybody else has a similar problem.

Galaxy S4 beats iPhone 5 in our brutal destruction test video | CNET UK

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Did you try and dry it out yourself? Phones these days are actually pretty good at recovering. Watch this video from 0:40 onwards. They submerge an S4 and iphone (which has a non-removable battery like HTC one) in water until they stop working, dry them out in a box of rice for a few days and the S4 seems to work fine. I'm sure yours was submerged for a much shorter amount of time. Never had to do it myself (touch wood) but I know someone who recently revived a wet Galaxy S2 with the rice method. Just thought it was worth mentioning in case anybody else has a similar problem.
Galaxy S4 beats iPhone 5 in our brutal destruction test video | CNET UK

Not just rice but baking soda as well. You place baking soda on the bottom of a container with a layer of cellophane on top, then add rice. Place phone in rice. Baking soda acts like damp rid and absorbs more than the rice. Rice acts as a bed to place the phone in...(don't want baking soda in your phone)....but rice absorbs as well. So it's a double whammy of moisture sucking prowess!!

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea I didn't try to do anything. I was pretty upset and kinda in shock that it just happened. I just took it out and left it alone and then after a few hours and my phone wouldn't turn on. I thought well this is why I got Best Buy insurance. They said a new one should be ready for me tomorrow (hopefully). I actually don't mind the GSII but I definitely want my HTC One back.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I always take my phone in to the bathroom when I have a number 2, just cause it's boring being sat there for ages looking at the walls. But I have had visions of dropping my phone down the toilet, so far I haven't had to fish my phone out of any ****. But everyday you take a risk just by taking it out and about, it's just one of those things. You loose your grip and drop it, it's called life.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Recently i accidentally drop my s4 in washing machine, i put in the ricefor 3 days,now i open it andits working..

I did this once with a flip phone awhile ago. Destroyed that sucker. Rice/baking soda didn't work...infact I still have it....the LG something or other that's blue and silver. I kept it as a reminder that washing machines are BAAAAAAD for phones.....

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I got told metho works well as it evaporates the water quicker. Really don't want to try this myself.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

riche-rich

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Dropped my HTC one in toilet dryed it out all working good except it won't charge ! Just a exclamation mark over the battery , any info plz ??

Posted via Android Central App

riche-rich

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I always take my phone in to the bathroom when I have a number 2, just cause it's boring being sat there for ages looking at the walls. But I have had visions of dropping my phone down the toilet, so far I haven't had to fish my phone out of any ****. But everyday you take a risk just by taking it out and about, it's just one of those things. You loose your grip and drop it, it's called life.

That's what I did ! Luckily before I went too !

riche-rich

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Can't belive my old HTC "one" is now working again !!!! It's been over a week since it went south from my hands into the toilet and thought I'd just pack it away from the rice I left it in and noticed the red light flashing through the rice like some mashed up transformer ! Charged it up and working been using it for last 2days no signs of any damage whatsoever ! Now stuck with a brand new SIM-free ?477 "one" from Tesco , pay attention people !!! PATIENCE do not rush to get a new phone they take at least a week to dry . optimus prime has returned !

Kaiserchief55

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Never thought this would happen to me, but 6 week old htc one dropped into the toilet yesterday morning.
Was dunked a split second and dried it off very quickly.
Unfortunately didn't check out what I should do online as phone seemed to be working perfectly....until....
I tried charging it last night as battery had ran out - nothing showing on screen.
Buried it in rice for last 24 hours and tried charging it up....showed battery with exclamation mark on display....hope this is progress:-X
Have phone back sucking rice...I guess patience is the key....
Anybody have any further suggestions as to what I can do to salvage phone.

Thanks,
K

Kaiserchief55

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Bingo! Pulled htc one from rice last night and charged up phone with no issues. All functionality in check so far. :)

Went back to my old iPhone 3GS while htc one was out of action and I must say what a huge improvement it is returning to the htc one....it's just a classier phone on so many fronts. The main plus imho is how you can customise the htc one on so many different levels and it's speed.

I'm treasuring my htc one from here on to the extent that I'm using the iPad when going for no. 2s from now on....lesson learnt:D

minny2

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my htc one mini in the water and got it out right away. After I dried it the red light came out. I turned off the phone but the red light is still there. When I got home it was still red and so I put it in rice. Now I'm hopping the red light is gone. All left is wait. And my phone wasn't low on battery so I been wondering what the red light is.

aswanson1

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My HTC One X took a soaking in an emergency situation, pulling a drowning child out of pond. The phone went fuzzy at the Emer. Room. Then shut out & couldn't be re-started. I read the forums about the rice & baking soda, however having replaced an HTC screen twice before I was in no mood for the time & energy to open it up. (Some good videos out there just search youtube).
So I went to a tried & true method.....
Previously I'd found that perspiration from winter bike training rides, my phone would get a moisture build up & the microphone wouldn't work until I dried it out. (I could hear people on a call but they couldn't hear me). I would put it over a forced air vent and sometimes that would work. And if it didn't I'd pull out the heavy hitter -- the space heater!! I sent the phone an close but adequate distance from the heater turning it every so often exposing the different holes to the hot air being pushed into & around it.
Sure enough, after 3 hours of this the HTC One X I was convinced was toast came back to life. It had internal streaks/patches of dark on the screen but that was to be expected. If I had longer time to leave it near the heater they probably would dissipate as well. (now if the hypoxic little boy in the ER can come thru his warm up process and be all good things will be perfect!)
Thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums, our joint experiences can be so helpful as there is no better testing ground than real life!
Whether you open the HTC up or don't open it & just used forced air or a space heater -- use common sense, know your experience might be slightly different, but you're stacking your odds in the right way giving these methods a try. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty