Absolutely horrendous battery life!

Max Chee

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought my HTC one a couple months ago, and the first thing I realize was how bad the drain was on it's battery life was, I charged on my PC while chatting with someone and the phone just died on me let alone getting charged at all. I had to charge it by wall socket, while my old iphone 4s could just be plugged into my PC and it'll charged extremely fast and at 1% it can last a few more hours and a couple of phone calls.

After awhile I had to accept that as a fact, but never mind it gets even better recently my phone could stay for 100% and just die unexpectedly out of the blue, I say to myself alrite maybe the battery notification just isn't working. BUT IT GETS BETTER!! I factory reset my phone and now it shuts down out of the blue and when I charged it agn and boot it up it says my battery is at 0% when I only charge full no more than a few hours before WTF?!?

NEVERMIND I said I'll just have to get use to turning my phone back on then, NOPE it won't even start, I have to charge it to get it to start, before it was at 0% when I get it to start back now it's shows it at 50-40& battery life, which means WTF did it even shut down in the first place and won't allow me to boot it up agn?!?!

now bear in mind I am not a heavy user all I do is make phone calls receive them and sms, and go youtube for about 15 minutes, all of these problems happen when my phone is only on standby however recently when I open up a youtube it'll shut down and yesterday while someone is trying to guide me back home and he is calling me to show which direction I need to go, my phone dies before I can even hear the full ringtone.

I am so gonna change to a blackberry after this horrendous experience with my first HTC one phone. I know I can send it to warranty which I will but I hate this phone since I bought it and I'll rather sell this bloody thing off then stand another day with it. I laughed when i see ppl complaining about their iphone battery life . Oh yeah forgot one more thing I can't even change the battery if that was the problem. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:\

**** YOU HTC!!!!! go eat some poisonous blackberry!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Max Chee

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Absolutely HORRENDOUS battery life!!!

I guess it's just slightly hard to be constructive when you phone dies everytime someone calls you. :p

just my 2 cents

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

My HTC One has great battery life as does my one x. As Rozroz said, it is most likely a bad battery. Could also be too many things running in the background.

Sent from my One X using AC Forums mobile app

andriver

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Not much more to add. Good luck with BlackBerry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Blackberry? I almost spewed my water laughing.

Have fun :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Max Chee

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

The big deal is that this phone doesn't allow me to even change the battery like other phones, and no I have factory reset and everything under the sun no way an app can cause the phone to shut down at 50%++ battery either way HTC is picking up my phone tmr.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Max Chee - First off know the difference between a wall charger and charging with your computer. Wall charger is a 1 Amp or 1000mA charger. Computer USB are half that at 500mA. So right off the bat your loosing half the output power by simply using your computer to charge. Also you mention your iPhone being at 1% and still lasting hours.. Sounds to me like you might need to go back to your iPhone since it lasted so long. :) As others have said its possible its a defective battery, or user configuration issues. Or a combination.
Why are you going to a Blackberry when you seem so happy with an iPhone?
The forums are here to help people with issues. Bashing HTC and praising BB is fine and dandy but not what this place is about.
It seems pretty clear you got a bad unit and instead of understanding these are mass produced by the thousands daily and accepting things can go wrong on an assembly line you choose to think ALL HTC One units are like this.
Blackberry and Apple also mass produce devices. Hope you dont get one of them with a problem, id hate to see what that rant would look like.

Oh and FYI, my HTC One is awesome.. No problems with it.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

you choose to think ALL HTC One units are like this.
Blackberry and Apple also mass produce devices. Hope you dont get one of them with a problem, id hate to see what that rant would look like.

Oh and FYI, my HTC One is awesome.. No problems with it.

reading all the bashing threads here was the reason i ALMOST didn't get the ONE. so happy i managed to not take them too seriously ;)

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I can understand a hardware issue leaving a bad taste toward an OEM. It happens with mass produced electronics. But are you leaning toward blackberry just because of that? HTC isn't Android. There are other options. Even some with removable batteries if that's your thing.

Are there other concerns with the OS in general that you have?

anon(8215685)

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

I bought my HTC one a couple months ago, and the first thing I realize was how bad the drain was on it's battery life was, I charged on my PC while chatting with someone and the phone just died on me let alone getting charged at all. I had to charge it by wall socket, while my old iphone 4s could just be plugged into my PC and it'll charged extremely fast and at 1% it can last a few more hours and a couple of phone calls.

The big deal is that this phone doesn't allow me to even change the battery like other phones, and no I have factory reset and everything under the sun no way an app can cause the phone to shut down at 50%++ battery either way HTC is picking up my phone tmr.

You do realize that all phones are not created equally? Just because a phone manufactured by Apple does something, real or perceived, doesn't mean a phone manufactured by HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. will do the same thing. You say that you "had to charge it by wall socket," I assume that didn't work/help? Could the USB cable that came with the phone be defective? Could the charger that came with the phone be defective?

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but coming to an HTC forum and bashing an HTC product isn't going to yield (much) help or sympathy. Were you seeking assistance or advice when you posted your original message above? It's obvious that you're upset and I can understand that. I can also understand you wanting to vent your anger and frustration. But there are better ways to deal with situations like yours.

As has been mentioned above you, most likely, have a defective phone or battery. Exchanging it for a new phone with your service provider or sending it in for warranty repair is what you'll likely need to do. It sucks, but sometimes things work out that way. Also, as has been mentioned above, there could be too many apps running in the background, configuration issues, or other fixable things that may be causing your issue. Rather than bash HTC, why not ask for help? You never know, there may be a solution that won't require sending the phone in for repair. And?unless you're dishonest and hide the phones issue?it's going to be difficult to sell your phone. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope things work out.

Last edited:

Max Chee

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Hi guys, yes I am really angry and yes this is more of me venting my frustration but you have to understand how frustrating it is when I have to deal with problems like these when i have assignments to do and alarm clocks to wake me up for my finals next week, and it depends A LOT on my phone my teammates are gonna bash on me if they can't call me because of my phone problem I can't have this problem more over this is a rather expensive phone that Is spent money on but yet I have to deal with fundamental problems like these.

To all who said they may be apps running in the background, pls read what i said before as I have factory reset the whole phone and install nothing except for battery doctor and a cleaning tool. Just an update for you guys right now my phone is being charged directly to a wall with it's own genuine charger and it's not even charging. And yes I would love to go back to the iphone but I can't afford one right now without selling my HTC one first and even though I can sell it I still not wan to because it's a defective unit. I regretted changing from the iphone to the HTC. Pls I am not trying to bash HTC one but this is my experience and I need to share it with others who are still researching on whether to get this phone or not. At the end of the day it's up to you.

Also I know that not all phones are crated equally but bear in mind that first impression is always the most important thing when it comes to adoption of product and it was just unlucky my first impression on HTC wasn't a good one at all. I'll post it back here when I get my HTC one back and I'll use agn to see if there isn't any difference.

I just got the BB 9900 and honestly I am really loving it, it suits my need and style more, I know BB isn't for everyone even the people in the shop was quite shocked to see me using a BB but I have used iphone, Samsung and HTC, so i just don't see why I shouldn't try BB at all. PS the battery is absolutely great on this model which is my prime factor when I am getting a new phone.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Okay so if you know you have a defective battery, why not then just take it back to the store you got it from and get it replaced? Simply put, you have a bad battery therefore you should go get it replaced.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I know you picked up the BlackBerry 9900, but if keyboards are your thing, check out the Q10 as well. I don't know where you reside, but Verizon in the US has the Z30 as well which has great battery life as well, but no physical keyboard. It's also available in Canada, Europe, and other places.

Max Chee

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

I know you picked up the BlackBerry 9900, but if keyboards are your thing, check out the Q10 as well. I don't know where you reside, but Verizon in the US has the Z30 as well which has great battery life as well, but no physical keyboard. It's also available in Canada, Europe, and other places.

I've thought about the Q10 but right now it's abit over my budget but so far I am liking the 9900 and if blackberry continue to work for me well then I may change to a Q10 next year.

Max Chee

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Okay so if you know you have a defective battery, why not then just take it back to the store you got it from and get it replaced? Simply put, you have a bad battery therefore you should go get it replaced.

That's what I did except that HTC came to my house yesterday to take it back, anyway I found out that the charger was broken as well which may have caused my battery in my phone to malfunction as well, so i gave them back the charger. Again yes I know I have a defective unit together with the charger but the fact still remains I experience the defective unit so it's gonna leave a bad taste in my mouth .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non