Question All Photos Resized to 800x500

xLunarSky

Dec 10, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I tried asking this on Reddit to no avail. I'm running Android 13 on my Pixel 7. Recently, all photos I download are squished to a resolution of 800x500. I have tried uninstalling most apps that have picture access, reinstalling apps, testing downloads from multiple different apps, etc. The resolution stays normal (as downloaded) until I upload it somewhere, upon which it is resized to 800x500. I have no clue why this is happening and it's driving me mad trying to fix. Should I just factory reset at this point?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you actually try Safe Mode, or did you hold off since you manually uninstalled a bunch of apps on your own? If the latter, then it's still worth testing in Safe Mode. It can be a hassle to be in Safe Mode for more than a day or so, but might still be worthwhile.

xLunarSky

Dec 10, 2023
Visit site
Did you actually try Safe Mode, or did you hold off since you manually uninstalled a bunch of apps on your own? If the latter, then it's still worth testing in Safe Mode. It can be a hassle to be in Safe Mode for more than a day or so, but might still be worthwhile.
Too late for that, now. My phone is undergoing the upgrade to Android 14 right now. If it continues, I'll try safe mode and then a factory reset if all else fails.

Reactions: B. Diddy

xLunarSky

Dec 10, 2023
Visit site
Update: Android 14 did not fix the problem. However, images download and stay at their normal resolution just fine in safe mode. I have noticed that now, when downloading photos, they appear as normal in the photos app until i zoom in, upon which they snap into a distorted 800x500 version of themselves. So frustrated because there should be no difference from safe mode to normal mode when I've uninstalled all apps that I can uninstall.

xLunarSky

Dec 10, 2023
Visit site
Problem still persisting. Here is a visual of what happens using a photo I downloaded off of my Pinterest using Google Chrome.

1000005631.png
It starts off normal and as it's downloaded resolution. However, upon interacting with the photo in any manner such as uploading it elsewhere, zooming in on the photo, or attempting to set it as a wallpaper, here is what it turns into:

1000005632.jpg

It becomes squished and stretched, to a res of 800x500. This happens with any photo that is downloaded by any app. Screenshots and camera shots are unaffected. I have a fresh install of Android 14 with all apps that you can uninstall uninstalled. I am using a Pixel 7. In safe mode, this issue does not seem to occur.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes an update to Android System Webview can mess things up for certain devices. Try uninstalling all updates to Android System Webview (best way is to search for it in your Play Store, then click Uninstall on the app page, which will uninstall all updates), then see if the problem persists outside of Safe Mode. (And make sure the Play Store isn't set to automatically update apps.)

xLunarSky

Dec 10, 2023
Visit site
Sometimes an update to Android System Webview can mess things up for certain devices. Try uninstalling all updates to Android System Webview (best way is to search for it in your Play Store, then click Uninstall on the app page, which will uninstall all updates), then see if the problem persists outside of Safe Mode. (And make sure the Play Store isn't set to automatically update apps.)
Uninstalling all updates to Android System Webview did not fix the problem, even after a restart.

• Sad
Reactions: B. Diddy