Can't play videos on HTC One?

htcone123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello all-
Recently, I have been dealing with the problem of not being able to play videos on my HTC One. It is a Verizon version, using Android 4.4.2 and Sense 6, not rooted.

I am not able to play videos in YouTube, Chrome, or even videos I have taken with my own camera. For YouTube videos, it gives me a loading screen, then says, "There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry." When I try to play my own video, it tries to load, then gives me the HTC error message, saying, "Sorry, this video cannot be played." The same happens in Chrome.

The interesting thing is, some days I'll be able to watch a few videos just fine. Then after a couple I try to watch another and it gives me the error message. So I'm not really sure what is happening.

Has anyone else had this issue? My phone is working perfectly normal otherwise. Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is quite a big annoyance for me and I have not been able to figure this out.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
With the randomness of the issue it almost sounds like there is an app stopping them from playing. Works when the app is inactive, then in the case of watching a few and then not working waking up this phantom app. Hopefully it's something that can be seen in your running app list. One way you might check this is to find a time when videos will not play, and then restart the phone. Try playing a video from a source that wasn't working before manually opening any other apps. Does the video now play? For the next step there are two ways to compare the information. You can look at your running apps before the restart and then when the videos are playing after the restart or conversely you can look at the apps when videos are playing compared to when they are not. With the latter IMO being easier and possibly better. Perhaps you will see something running or not running when things are working or when they are not. I'd use screen shots to compare the two states. Then you can evaluate the apps you find as being the possible cause. If you don't find anything... ?

Elen Heath

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello all-
Recently, I have been dealing with the problem of not being able to play videos on my HTC One. It is a Verizon version, using Android 4.4.2 and Sense 6, not rooted.

I am not able to play videos in YouTube, Chrome, or even videos I have taken with my own camera. For YouTube videos, it gives me a loading screen, then says, "There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry." When I try to play my own video, it tries to load, then gives me the HTC error message, saying, "Sorry, this video cannot be played." The same happens in Chrome.

The interesting thing is, some days I'll be able to watch a few videos just fine. Then after a couple I try to watch another and it gives me the error message. So I'm not really sure what is happening.

Has anyone else had this issue? My phone is working perfectly normal otherwise. Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is quite a big annoyance for me and I have not been able to figure this out.