What expectations do you have of the HTC One (M8) camera?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Recent leaks have given us a pretty good look at the 2014 HTC One (M8) and what we may expect come the formal announcement. We know that the device will feature two cameras on the rear. Though, I don't think we quite know how these cameras will work.

Aside from the obvious camera improvements on the issues last years model had, are there certain expectations for this years model?

Update: 3-11-14

A new leak sheds some light on the two cameras: http://www.androidcentral.com/aussie-leak-seems-explain-htc-ones-new-duo-camera-outs-sense-60

There is still a lot to learn about the technicality of the camera(s) and how it's going to function as a whole. Hopefully we start to see some nice, high resolution photos taken with the device very soon to see what quality images will be produced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: What expectations do you have of the M8 Camera?

Just decent performance compared to the competition. From what we've seen, the S5 camera looks excellent. I'm sure the iPhone 6 will slay in that department as well. Just hoping HTCs unconventional approach produces comparable results or has compelling advantages.

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

That it will be better than the S5's. I'm not holding my breath.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I think it will be decent...I mean HTC is really hyping this new "UltraPixels" so lets see...the S5 camera is amazing though
I just really hope HTC implements more camera modes into their phone

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

To be honest, I think most people would be more than thrilled if it didn't have the purple tint issue, got a slight bump in megapixels (~8?), and came with OIS.

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

I want it to be fast, fast startup, fast time to first shot, and decently fast in low-light while producing good pics in those conditions. Don't care much for the lytro-like refocus features or 3D images, just be a great quick shooter. The MP don't bother me as much because I generally don't crop zoom or do prints, but yes it's disappointing it didn't go up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Fast focus + excellent low-light performance (for a smartphone).

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I posted this in the Reddit tread but thought this would be a better place to put it.

I did a little research on what HTC may be doing with the dual camera. The dual camera may give you 3X or up to 5X optical zoom. With that much optical zoom you don't need any more than 4 MP. Just pull out the camera zoom in to your shot, focus and snap picture. Results should be better than a high MP camera with no optical zoom. This is just one thing they may be doing with the dual cam but I have no idea what they did with it.

Here are a couple of links to other dual cameras:

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/pre...ssp_14_698.jsp

The Problem | Corephotonics

Also here is a demo video of Corephotonics dual camera. notice in the video they say they are not working on the HTC dual camera but the Corephotonics poster to the left has an HTC One on it???

Dual-lens smartphone cameras are coming, and this is why we want one
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OAaqrhglg

Last edited:

rickray1978

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm not by any means an expert in how photo sensors are made, but if HTC is putting two sensors on the back of the M8, and if they are similar to (or the same as) the 4 ultrapixel sensors as the ONE, then wouldn't it be possible by software to stitch the images of both sensors into one much larger pixel count image?

Kind of like one small antenna may not be great for reception but many antennas configured in an array can receive a much weaker signal (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). So two sensors give them all the fancy effects, but overall both allow them to have a much higher pixel count and the much larger pixel size.

I think there is more to the "duo camera" thing than just the Lytro effects and some 3D effects. As far as the Lytro effects are concerned, Samsung has shown that can be done using only one sensor, albeit it looks from the demos that it slows down the picture taking. Add to the fact that the rumored front sensor is 5MP by itself, there is very little reason for HTC not to use the two sensors on the back to tout an 8 UltraPixel back camera if that's what the dual sensors give them.

Just random thoughts.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I'd imagine that customers just want really good photos. If the camera can do that and be competent in low light I think folks would be satisfied.

1 of IV

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm not by any means an expert in how photo sensors are made, but if HTC is putting two sensors on the back of the M8, and if they are similar to (or the same as) the 4 ultrapixel sensors as the ONE, then wouldn't it be possible by software to stitch the images of both sensors into one much larger pixel count image?

Kind of like one small antenna may not be great for reception but many antennas configured in an array can receive a much weaker signal (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). So two sensors give them all the fancy effects, but overall both allow them to have a much higher pixel count and the much larger pixel size.

I think there is more to the "duo camera" thing than just the Lytro effects and some 3D effects. As far as the Lytro effects are concerned, Samsung has shown that can be done using only one sensor, albeit it looks from the demos that it slows down the picture taking. Add to the fact that the rumored front sensor is 5MP by itself, there is very little reason for HTC not to use the two sensors on the back to tout an 8 UltraPixel back camera if that's what the dual sensors give them.

Just random thoughts.

That is what Toshiba and Corephotonics is doing with there dual cameras. Toshiba claim a 13 mp output from 2 5mp sensors and Corephotonics claim a 3X optical zoom. Plus on the S5 the Lytro effect is slow because it has to take multiple pctures for it to work but on the dual cams it will take all the pictures it needs at one time from the 2 cams. Here is a link to one of my posts that gives links for more info.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

the only quality problems the original One had (besides the purple tint stuff never was an issue for me) was low mega count combined with the larger pixel size. IMO it wasn't a problem for me but could use improvement. So in theory if HTC retains the larger sensor size (wish they would go even bigger), increases MP which would increase details, the additional sensor besides providing depth info for the refocus/lytro effect, it could also provide depth info to adjust tonal range (more natural HDR)..... Regarding I'm excited and hoping for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89