HTC One (M8): Wifi password not saving

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
So I got my Verizon m8 today and went through the setup process. Everything seemed to be going well until I restarted the phone. Upon reboot I noticed I was no longer connected to wifi. I connected again and rebooted again. Same thing. I've tried everything I can think of, including a hard reset, and still it refuses to remember my wifi password? Anyone else seeing this or know how to fix it?

OK, just found out that it's related to password length. My wifi password is 63 characters in length. As a test, I reduced it to 9 characters and it then remembered it after reboot.Is this a known issue? Anyone know how long it can be and continue to work?

Last edited by a moderator:

ColdMist

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Wifi password not saving

I can confirm the 9 character wifi password limit. Just got off the line with the support reps at Verizon. They said HTC is aware of the problem, and that they are worling on a fix for it.

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

I can confirm the 9 character wifi password limit. Just got off the line with the support reps at Verizon. They said HTC is aware of the problem, and that they are worling on a fix for it.
Excellent! Thank you for the update

joshy1980

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

This is disgraceful! I just noticed this problem and this is embarassing. I haven't even had my M8 for 6 hours and I noticed that it keeps 'forgetting' my wifi password. How could HTC *possibly* think that a 9 character password is secure!?

WTF is wrong with you HTC!? And I just took back my S5 for a "real" phone that can't store my password.. how sad.

I left the S5 because it felt wholly unusable in its current state. Are these companies just making us all beta testers for their software experiments!? For a phone that cost me $50 more than the S5 I'm quite unhappy.

What makes this worse is that I got my phone and an update was already available. But, it didn't fix this problem which has existed for a month now based on the date of the OP.

arkek

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I just bought an HTC One M8. Almost immediately, it asked me to do a software update, so I did that and the phone was at 4.4.2. I had the same problem where the wifi password wouldn't stay (a 63 character password) and, based on your 9 character discovery, I tested it and found that mine had a 45 character limit to remember the password. Perhaps they updated it between 3/27 and 5/23, but regardless, it's ridiculous that it doesn't support the full 63-character password for WPA2.

grisrenard

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue but my password has only 10 characters. Since the update I noticed that when I leave my house WiFi I loose the passwords on my extenders but not my modem/router. Wish I could go back to the previous version which had not of the issues. I do remember the older version had a check box to remember password on Wi-Fi portals but I don't see it in this version

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, I just got my phone a couple of days ago and have a 17 character password and it seems to stay in place without a problem...

R

SteveMeacham

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I've confirmed a 45 character limit on mine today, too. I wasted two evenings trouble shooting this.

Here's some more detail. Each SSID's password is stored in /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf. Each one has a line like this:

psk=HTC-ENCRYPTION:I9VPRUbIiBHEddXDQ3Qq9JX4sRVBnK881Dd/afXPkHtAlzRDLOBnjDqgt+yuo8F+

However, when the length of the actual passphrase gets too long, this line contains line breaks. The line with line breaks seems 100% correlated with the device not remembering. Strangely, they remain in that file, but they're unusable.

It's pathetic that I had to root my device, in order to view this file, to troubleshoot this problem. It's disgraceful that there's no way to even report these details back to HTC or Verizon, and that Verizon didn't even know about this issue when I presented it to their technical support.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well 45 characters is better than 9....

Honestly, this is a bit overkill, don't you think? This is not the old days of WEP.

R

StuffyOne

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
This is very discouraging. I have an M7, and experienced this exact problem a few weeks after getting the device late in 2013.

For me, the problem appeared only after connecting the phone to a free open wifi access point (like a coffee shop's). When I returned home, the phone had forgotten my 63-character WPA2 password. Factory reset did no good. Verizon support was stumped, so they sent me a replacement phone. It worked fine for a month or so, then, after connecting to a Panera Bread wifi hotspot, the same problem occurred: The phone would only remember the WPA2 passphrase if it was fewer than 45 characters.

I did spend quite a bit of time talking to a quite technically-proficient Verizon representative who was fascinated by the bug, and it was communicated to HTC. This was in January, 2014. Very discouraging that they allowed this bug to propagate to the M8.

StuffyOne

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I experienced the same problem on two successive M7s in late 2013 and January, 2014. The phone would remember 63-character WPA2 passphrases just fine, but only until I connected to an open wifi hotspot (like Panera Bread). After doing that just once, the phone would now only remember 45-character (or fewer) passwords. Factory Reset did not help.

I spoke to several Verizon tech support people, including a very technically-adept one who was fascinated by the bug. It was communicated back to HTC. Very discouraged to hear that the bug propagated from the M7 to the M8.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I experienced the same problem on two successive M7s in late 2013 and January, 2014. The phone would remember 63-character WPA2 passphrases just fine, but only until I connected to an open wifi hotspot (like Panera Bread). After doing that just once, the phone would now only remember 45-character (or fewer) passwords. Factory Reset did not help.

I spoke to several Verizon tech support people, including a very technically-adept one who was fascinated by the bug. It was communicated back to HTC. Very discouraged to hear that the bug propagated from the M7 to the M8.

I find that interesting as well. I know you said you did a factory reset (which I would think would have wiped out any/all wifi networks remembered by your phone), but have you gone in to wi-fi and told your phone to "forget" any/all open wifi networks it has ever connected to, followed by a reboot (with Fastboot disabled) - to see if that would restore your 63-character password retainment?

crackedshel

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have similar problems at my office. The 62 character password will stay remembered sometimes for several days and other times I have to reenter it during the day. My home, which is 11, always is retained. Wish HTC would get this fixed. Another user of the HTC One in my office can never seem to get the password to be remembered. She has given up and stays on 4G all day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty