HTC One (M8) keeps restarting

Bear4321

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi ,I have had the m8 since Wednesday and it keeps randomly turning itself off then on again , I have contacted my carrier o2 in the UK and they are sending a replacement .
I just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same problem ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Kwok

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: One m8 keeps restarting

I've had my M8 since last Thursday and all was well until today. I noticed that it was getting pretty hot so took it out of my pocket, to see that it wanted to send an error report to HTC. Looking at the error log, it was listing write errors. The phone has then since been switching itself on and off constantly for the past four hours. When I switch it off, it even switches itself back on again! I've tried soft resets, hard resets, disabling apps, etc. All with zero effect. I've noticed that the swipe gesture/double tap activation no longer seems to work either.

Bizarrely, the only thing that seems to stop the constant restarting is plugging it into the mains charger, which tends to suggest a battery/power related issue? Trying to get hold of EE customer services on my landline and have been holding for 10mins so far.

Dennis Kwok

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

The plot thickens. I disabled the 'fast boot' setting and powered the phone down sucessfully and let it cool down. I've just powered it back up and all seems fine.

Watch this space....

Josephine Wu

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yea, some days it doesn't happen at all but on bad days, it can happen up to 4-8 times a day. In the past couple hours it resetted twice...is this something that can be fixed?

GO1496

May 21, 2014
Visit site

"I've had my M8 since last Thursday and all was well until today. I noticed that it was getting pretty hot so took it out of my pocket, to see that it wanted to send an error report to HTC. Looking at the error log, it was listing write errors. The phone has then since been switching itself on and off constantly for the past four hours. When I switch it off, it even switches itself back on again! I've tried soft resets, hard resets, disabling apps, etc. All with zero effect. I've noticed that the swipe gesture/double tap activation no longer seems to work either." -DKwok

I'm in the exact same situation - rcvd it on a Thurs, it "broke" a few days later. My issue was only w/incoming or outgoing calls. Internet and other items functioned perfectly (didn't reset itself) ... only phone calls were effected by this off/on thing. Solution for now is to return it for another one. Seems like something HTC could easily fix w/a software update/patch.

Evgeny Shatalov

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
got this restarting issue today. clearing cashes helped. all you need to do is switch off the phone, hold vol. down + power buttons, enter recovery mode, clear the cashes(Dalvik as well), restart.

Robgo

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine only did this when I overclocked it. Maybe a defective processor on yours.

I've had other droid phones that did random stuff like this but I've never had it happen on my M8 (except when overclocking).

Try running antutu benchmark a few times and see if it reboots in the middle of the test. If so, it's probably defective hardware.

Otherwise, it may be some app running in the background causing problems.

Mohammed Raafat2

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
i would like to thank you very very very much for your great help for me .. your replay about this reboot issue helped me very well .. i was going to change my m8 an pay more money for that ,, i did what you advise us whith it and it is making my m8 does not make any random reboot at all and after making hard reset still very good and no effect of random reebot ,,,,,, your great advise ""<<<[B[/B].>>>""" was helped .. thanks my friend.

Mohammed Raafat2

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
got this restarting issue today. clearing cashes helped. all you need to do is switch off the phone, hold vol. down + power buttons, enter recovery mode, clear the cashes(Dalvik as well), restart.

i would like to thank you very very very much for your great help for me .. your replay about this reboot issue helped me very well .. i was going to change my m8 an pay more money for that ,, i did what you advise us whith it and it is making my m8 does not make any random reboot at all and after making hard reset still very good and no effect of random reebot ,,,,,, your great advise ""<<<[B[/B].>>>""" was helped .. thanks my friend.

Angelineangelina

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

my phone cannot be turned on after I tried to factory reset it. What can I do?

Bryan Rauch

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have also been experiencing this for quite some time. At first it only happed once a month but now it is happening 2 times a week. The most annoying part is that the phone is not only restarting but resetting to factory settings (with the frozen lock screen as the background)- I have to re-download everything every time.

I am going to my local store tomorrow to find a resolution but know that it is somehow going to go through my insurance and have to pay for a new device - which I want to avoid as it is a defect with the phone and not due to water damage or any dents or dings.

Has anyone else experience this?

hodie63

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have my M8 for about 60 days and on friday afternoon my phone shut down and restarted by itself, then once it was booted i had no widgets. I tried to manually enter boot mode and my phone would not shut off it would just go to sleep. Finally after trying this for 20 minutes i was able to manually reboot. But to add to my severely aggitated state it then would power up and in 4-5 minutes would restart it continued this for 2 hours and 1 hour of that was while i was at ATT's tech department, Finally the tech who waited on me was not able to boot it into factory reset at all . They ordered me another phone. I was finally able to boot into factory reset about 1 hour after i left ATT, once the dust settled i had no Home or multi task buttons. So out camr my Moto-x back up phone until my new gets here.

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
ok got a ? for you what do you do when your phone keep shuting down eatch time i go to do somthing on my phon or to oppen apps on my phone or when i go online what do i do my phome keep shutting down

Vicentiu09

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey!! I have the same problem with an htc one m8 Google edition. It's keep switching off and on when I try to use any app or camera . Did you find out watt the problem is?

OHardy

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for dropping in like this guys, but I have the Windows 10 Mobile version (Build 10536.1004) of the HTC One M8 & those random frequent reboots per day are an issue for me too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty