Wifi or Router issues on my HTC One?

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
This seems to only happen on my home network, which is why i think it might be a router issue. I'll be connected to wifi and it works fine, and then a little while later I will look at my phone and its connected to the network, but cant connect to the internet unless I turn off wifi, then turn it back on.

I can tell when this is happening because the Up arrow on the wifi icon is stuck solid white. I've forgotten my network, deleted the device from my router settings and reconnected multiple times, and it seems to work for a day or two, but then the same problem rears its ugly head. Anyone else having this issue? Any tips on how to fix it? This is the only device that has had issue with my router, and I have lots of devices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-21-13-33-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-21-13-33-15.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 29

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any other devices that have the same issue via wifi? Or even computers that are hard lined in?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your DHCP scope is large enough on your router to handle all your devices. Most home routers are set to a very low number, for today anyway... I think mine came factory default to only dish out 10 IP addresses. I had similar issues, what with smart TV, chromecast, blueray player, new phones, etc... I was running out of addresses. Log into your router and check the DHCP client listing and see if it has given out all the IPs it has available. You can add more addresses to your pool if needed in the config page for the router.

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Make sure your DHCP scope is large enough on your router to handle all your devices. Most home routers are set to a very low number, for today anyway... I think mine came factory default to only dish out 10 IP addresses. I had similar issues, what with smart TV, chromecast, blueray player, new phones, etc... I was running out of addresses. Log into your router and check the DHCP client listing and see if it has given out all the IPs it has available. You can add more addresses to your pool if needed in the config page for the router.

I had a range of 50, and definitely not that many devices (historically, including friends smartphones, maybe 25 total have ever connected.) I just upped to to 100 so maybe that will help. is it possible to give it a static IP?

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I had a range of 50, and definitely not that many devices (historically, including friends smartphones, maybe 25 total have ever connected.) I just upped to to 100 so maybe that will help. is it possible to give it a static IP?

If your router's IP is dynamic, then no.

There's another thread in here by someone that had a similar issue but it happened more frequently. I think the problem was with his router settings or his phone's wireless N receiver because it didn't happen on a wireless G router. Maybe see if it happens on a different type of wifi?

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If your router's IP is dynamic, then no.

There's another thread in here by someone that had a similar issue but it happened more frequently. I think the problem was with his router settings or his phone's wireless N receiver because it didn't happen on a wireless G router. Maybe see if it happens on a different type of wifi?

This is pretty frequent. I work from home so i'd say i have to do the wi-fi toggle 15 times a day?

Amazon.com: Linksys EA3500 App-Enabled N750 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit and USB: Computers & Accessories This is the router I have, pretty solid.

Oddly enough, i had this problem on a Verizon HTC One M8, and forgetting the network on my phone and deleting the phone from my router device list and doing a hard reboot on both fixed it. I swapped out for an ATT model, had the same issue, but the fix is not working. So annoying.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
For testing, try disabling your wireless security and see if the problem persists. It seems with most Android version upgrades, there is some wifi routers that do not like the new stuff. It was the 2wire routers with my old OneX that had this problem, and for those, it was related to WPA2 security.

Here is the link to linksys to check whether you have the latest firmware.
EA3500 Support | Smart Wi-Fi Router N750

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost leaning to it being a DNS issue. Try changing your DNS IP addresses for your WAN port within your router (make the DHCP hand them out) and set it to Google's DNS or something... See if that helps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh also when it times out you could try hitting Google or something else by IP address versus the URL to see if you can.. That would check if it's a DNS issue as well.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm almost leaning to it being a DNS issue. Try changing your DNS IP addresses for your WAN port within your router (make the DHCP hand them out) and set it to Google's DNS or something... See if that helps.

If it's only happening on one device, it seems unlikely it would be a problem with DNS settings. It's possible but seems like one of the less likely causes of the problem to me.

That router is definitely solid, but see if running it in wireless G mode only changes anything. The range and speed will not be nearly as good obviously but it would be good to know if the problem is with wireless N as the other person's phone worked fine on wireless G mode. It could be that some M8s have issues with wireless N.

As for other things it could be, I read in another thread on here that Android 4.4.2 has issues with wireless passwords longer than 8 digits. There was no source provided so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info.

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Just an update. I downloaded an app called Wifi Fixer, and since installing i have not had the issue. Seems its a software issue that will hopefully get fixed down the line!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. I downloaded an app called Wifi Fixer, and since installing i have not had the issue. Seems its a software issue that will hopefully get fixed down the line!

Glad it's working now! :).