White spots on the back of my M8

Bajwa2307

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I've had mine M8 for 2 months now and I absolutely love it.

I've noticed in the past few days, that some white spots have started appearing on the back metal body of the phone. It seems as if the colour has just come off.

I was using the cover which came in the box since I got the phone but recently upgraded to a Spigen slim armour case.

I have not dropped the phone in anyway and also keep the phone away from direct sunlight etc.

I am attaching a few pics of my phone. What could be the issue?

Attachments

• DSC_0001-001.jpg
    DSC_0001-001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0002-001.jpg
    DSC_0002-001.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0003-001.jpg
    DSC_0003-001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 29

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Do the spots have a different texture than the rest of the surface? If so, it could be corrosion. When aluminum corrodes (aluminum oxide), it turns dull grey/white and is kinda powdery. If this is the case, one of two things has happened. Either the anodized layer got nicked/scratched somehow and exposed the bare aluminum, or the aluminum wasn't properly treated before anodization. There could have been particles of something under your case that rubbed off the finish over time and exposed the bare metal.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Something has gotten under your case...

I've owned 2 different M8's (gun metal grey and the black H&K model) and although they have both been in a case since day one, they both exhibit this same spotting....

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting how sometimes a case causes more harm than no case at all. My phone never stays in my case for any extended period. Since I sit at a desk for work, my phone sits without a case because it doesn't move much during the day. On weekends though, it's in a case most of the time. Plus, the phone doesn't fit in the car dock with a case on, so it goes in and out of a case frequently. I guess the point i'm getting at is, it's good to remove your phone from your case every so often just so dust and particles don't build up underneath and actually damage the phone you are trying to protect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo