Upgrade from the M8

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Despite all of the negativity, I firmly believe that this will be a fantastic upgrade from the M8 that I'm using as I type. I will miss the Duo effects(I can't be the only one who used the duo effects with almost every picture I took of my kids.), but everything else is a no brainer. The M8 is a beautiful piece of technology! The M9 is certainly a beautiful piece of technology. Sense 7 will be better in every aspect when compared to other OEM skins, in my opinion. I will say this though, I'm hoping next year they give us a 5.5-5.7 "incher". I'm almost ready to give up the smaller form factor.........almost.... I think! Haha.

Posted via the Android Central App

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The problem is the camera. People expected an 8MP Ultrapixel camera..The first impressions were not good, the press conference was really bad and the design is still great, but somehow I prefer the M8. I don't like gold on silver..(but that's just me). The only color I could possible get is the gunmetal grey, which now became almost black.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Despite all of the negativity, I firmly believe that this will be a fantastic upgrade from the M8 that I'm using as I type. I will miss the Duo effects(I can't be the only one who used the duo effects with almost every picture I took of my kids.), but everything else is a no brainer. The M8 is a beautiful piece of technology! The M9 is certainly a beautiful piece of technology. Sense 7 will be better in every aspect when compared to other OEM skins, in my opinion. I will say this though, I'm hoping next year they give us a 5.5-5.7 "incher". I'm almost ready to give up the smaller form factor.........almost.... I think! Haha.

Okay, the M8 is going to receive Sense 7 just like the M9. And the camera on the M8 is probably better than the M9 from early reviews. I don't see things the same way as you. Essentially, you have the same phone as the M9 outside of "minor" changes, specs, color, and power button.

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
We've got to wait for reviews to come in with release software to know the performance of the camera. I refuse to believe that HTC would make a phone with a worse camera than the m8 knowing that was a primary complaint from people that have the m8, as well as the m7 before it. I will probably pick one up (on tmobile with JUMP) just because it will almost certainly support band 2 and 12 LTE where the M8 does not, and band 2 is all around where I live. That said, I am tempted to wait for the G4 and see what that is like.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Since when has software resolved a major camera problem? The problem is that HTC had a year to come out with the M9. They are not camera experts and 20MPs was too much for the M9. If you saw how they ran off stage after introducing the phone you could tell there was no love put into that phone. HTC cared more about their virtual reality junk and under armor band.

I said this in another thread. Why in the hell would you take a phone to MWC that's incomplete? MWC is the world stage and you bring a phone there that's lacking in software. Why not have your staff work overtime to resolve the issues so its ready for prime time? HTC can update the M9's camera until they turn blue in the face. It's the big fat pink elephant in the room among all the reviewers. They did not match the right sensor with the camera. It's a hardware problem. Why not use a smaller MP camera so you could actually include OIS? Samsung may have hit the sweet spot with 16 MPs but I don't know. I'm not a camera expert. I just know reviewers love their camera. I don't hear the same thing about the M9. People wake up and hold HTC accountable.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Since when has software resolved a major camera problem? The problem is that HTC had a year to come out with the M9. They are not camera experts and 20MPs was too much for the M9. If you saw how they ran off stage after introducing the phone you could tell there was no love put into that phone. HTC cared more about their virtual reality junk and under armor band.

I said this in another thread. Why in the hell would you take a phone to MWC that's incomplete? MWC is the world stage and you bring a phone there that's lacking in software. Why not have your staff work overtime to resolve the issues so its ready for prime time? HTC can update the M9's camera until they turn blue in the face. It's the big fat pink elephant in the room among all the reviewers. They did not match the right sensor with the camera. It's a hardware problem. Why not use a smaller MP camera so you could actually include OIS? Samsung may have hit the sweet spot with 16 MPs but I don't know. I'm not a camera expert. I just know reviewers love their camera. I don't hear the same thing about the M9. People wake up and hold HTC accountable.

Major camera problem? I've read all the same reviews and most have no idea, if theres really a problem, if the software is what is coming out, and most had a wait and see attitude. Kinda hard to believe a major international corporation, knowing all the flack they got on the M8 camera, would put out a worse camera on their next flagship phone. Also, what makes you possibly think 20MP is too big for the M9? I am a camera guy and there is no sweet spot. I'm happy to see that many MP, and wouldn't mind more. I like what you say about holding HTC accountable, and I'm sure people trying out the new M9 and either buying it or not, will be the best accounting.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Major camera problem? I've read all the same reviews and most have no idea, if theres really a problem, if the software is what is coming out, and most had a wait and see attitude. Kinda hard to believe a major international corporation, knowing all the flack they got on the M8 camera, would put out a worse camera on their next flagship phone. Also, what makes you possibly think 20MP is too big for the M9? I am a camera guy and there is no sweet spot. I'm happy to see that many MP, and wouldn't mind more. I like what you say about holding HTC accountable, and I'm sure people trying out the new M9 and either buying it or not, will be the best accounting.

Why? Because a smaller MP camera would have equated to OIS in the phone. Everyone is complaining about OIS. I'm not that into pictures and it doesn't bother me at all. But people have been asking for this since the M8. Yet, HTC decided bigger is better. You can only get away with that in Texas.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Why? Because a smaller MP camera would have equated to OIS in the phone. Everyone is complaining about OIS. I'm not that into pictures and it doesn't bother me at all. But people have been asking for this since the M8. Yet, HTC decided bigger is better. You can only get away with that in Texas.

I don't think MP size equates to whether or not you can put OIS in the system. Funny, I ready a side by side comparison of the M9 to the M8 from a link on another post, and it said the M9 had OIS and of course the M8 didn't. Probably a mistake...but we'll see when it comes out. Heck, we might actually like the pictures....

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't think MP size equates to whether or not you can put OIS in the system. Funny, I ready a side by side comparison of the M9 to the M8 from a link on another post, and it said the M9 had OIS and of course the M8 didn't. Probably a mistake...but we'll see when it comes out. Heck, we might actually like the pictures....

HTC said for themselves there was no room for OIS with a 20 MP camera. That came from the horses mouth. Why do you think the 20 MP camera lens is square and protrudes from the back? Because it's huge.

Samsung highlighted that they have OIS. If HTC had added this feature they would have mentioned it during their severely lacking presentation.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Link? Where did HTC day this?

The camera lens does not offer Optical image stabilization, which according to HTC is mostly due to lack of physical space inside the device, as well as what they refer to as various manufacturing hazards, meaning it's hard to mass produce up to high standards. Truth be told though, it is probably the cost that played a crucial role on the matter and hindered HTC form resurrecting the original One (M7)'s OIS shooting experience. From the horses mouth....BAM...FACEPALM: MWC 2015: HTC One M9, Grip hands-on - page 4 - GSMArena.com

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
HTC One M9 specs
^^^Specs from phonearena say the phone has optical image stabilization. I'd like to know where you guys are getting your information from that said it DEFINITELY doesn't have OIS.

Another reason you can't believe everything you read on the internet. It does not have OIS,

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The camera lens does not offer Optical image stabilization, which according to HTC is mostly due to lack of physical space inside the device, as well as what they refer to as various manufacturing hazards, meaning it's hard to mass produce up to high standards. Truth be told though, it is probably the cost that played a crucial role on the matter and hindered HTC form resurrecting the original One (M7)'s OIS shooting experience. From the horses mouth....BAM...FACEPALM: MWC 2015: HTC One M9, Grip hands-on - page 4 - GSMArena.com

I'm actually impressed with the video quality! I have three little boys that I take pics and videos of all the time(14gb with I my sd card) and I'm sure that they will straighten out the camera. I'm super stoked to sell this M8 and get that M9!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress