Why don't my notifications/inbox clear after reading emails elsewhere (TypeMail)?

toxikon332

May 21, 2015
Visit site
After a long wait, my company renegotiated our cell phone plan, and I've upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an HTC One M9. So far I'm really enjoying it, save for a few minor details.

I have two email accounts. A gmail account (personal) and an exchange account (work). I really dislike the stock email app so I switched to TypeMail. I really like the layout and the unified inbox; however, more often than not read emails on my computer, and doing so doesn't clear notifications on my phone. This is something I never had a problem with on my iPhone. Reading emails on my computer generally doesn't make them appear as read IN the TypeMail inbox on on the TypeMail widget either. I have to refresh. This is true for both email accounts.

Both accounts are push and emails come in right away.

Help?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Since the M9 is relatively new still, it might be a bug that the dev isn't aware of yet. I would send them an email and let them know. See what they say.

bratt23

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I use the gmail app and it syncs with a gmail and a comcast address. Deletes from the server. Very nice app

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Take a look at AquaMail. Never given me a problem with syncing properly. And since you like a unified inbox you would probably really like AquaMail's Smart Folder. Think of it as a configurable unified inbox.

From the AquaMail FAQ:

What is the Smart Folder?
The Smart Folder shows messages that are unread, or which, over a selectable time period:

1) were received by the application;
2) were sent (this is the date/time in the header);
3) were read, including read in other apps (for IMAP).

You can include or exclude starred messages in this list, please seek app settings under Smart Folder.

In other words, this is the list of messages that might require attention, or that you might need to come back to. This folder is enabled by default, but can be disabled in the app’s settings.

Per-folder color labels are also enabled by default, but can be disabled in settings.

To assign a folder a different color, or to set whether it’s included in the the Smart Folder, please do this:

1) long-press the account in the main window
2) choose “Options and folders”, then “Folders”
3) scroll to whichever folder you wish to change
4) long-press the folder or tap the settings icon to the right of the folder’s name

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

toxikon332

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I use the gmail app and it syncs with a gmail and a comcast address. Deletes from the server. Very nice app

I thought the gmail app only lets you use gmail accounts? My work account is an exchange account.

Take a look at AquaMail. Never given me a problem with syncing properly. And since you like a unified inbox you would probably really like AquaMail's Smart Folder. Think of it as a configurable unified inbox.

AquaMail is on my list to try. I've got CloudMagic set up right now, and it works. There's a bit of a delay, but notifications and the unread email badge update within a couple minutes. I like the simplicity, but much preferred TypeMail's notifications with email preview and widget that showed your inbox.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I thought the gmail app only lets you use gmail accounts? My work account is an exchange account.

AquaMail is on my list to try. I've got CloudMagic set up right now, and it works. There's a bit of a delay, but notifications and the unread email badge update within a couple minutes. I like the simplicity, but much preferred TypeMail's notifications with email preview and widget that showed your inbox.

I was gonna suggest CloudMagic. I really like it personally, but never tried TypeMail.

bratt23

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
See snapshot, IMAP/pop, Yahoo, outlook, all etc. Can be used with the gmail app. I use it for multiple.

Attachments

• 12412.jpg
    12412.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 11

toxikon332

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I was gonna suggest CloudMagic. I really like it personally, but never tried TypeMail.

I like the look and some of the customization available in TypeMail. That being said, I prefer clients that work, so CloudMagic it is!... to be fair TypeMail just doesn't seem to work for me, clearly others have had great success. I wish cloud magic had a better widget; I like having an inbox on my home screen.

Oddly AquaMail gave me problems too....and I didn't try the Gmail app as I wanted to setup my work account as exchange not imap.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Also make sure the email account is an IMAP account. A POP3 account keeps emails locally, so reading it on one device has no effect on its status on another device. IMAP keeps the emails on the server, so if they're marked read on the server, all devices see them as read (eventually - it can take a while to sync up, because a change in status isn't always pushed). Exchange can be set to do anything but wash dishes, so check with your email administrator for that one.

Apple is different - they don't adhere to industry standards - it's all iPhone email to them.

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Rukbat that's why I still use pop. Because when I remove emails I also want it to be removed from the server. I only read and remove email from my phone and never go to my webmail on Internet. Too bad imap doesn't have that remove option.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
IMAP will allow deletions on the server, of course. Not all email clients include the option, however. Some do, and more. AquaMail, for example, has several deletion options including immediate deletion on the server. Gmail is kind of a special case. From the AquaMail FAQ:

"There are three methods to delete messages.

The choices are: “Move to Deleted folder first” / “Delete from the server immediately” / “Hide in the app, keep on the server”. The initial default setting is “Move to Deleted”.

When using IMAP, you can synchronize the [ Deleted ] folder with the server if you like. With EWS, this is always the case.

Deleting messages from Gmail requires that they first be moved into the Deleted folder, which in turn has to be set up to synchronize with “[Gmail]/Trash”. When setting up a Gmail account, AquaMail sets this up automatically."

IMAP is a far more capable, flexible system than POP3. Pretty much anything POP3 can do IMAP can do better.

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Tnx...I'll try. Had my email set up as imap at first but went back to pop due to the delete from server option because all the deleted mails were logically still to be seen on my tab and my pc. Couldn't select any option in stock email imap to delete from server when i removed from trashfolder or inbox.
I'll try aquamail.

Gmail works perfectly. Deleting the trashfolder on mobile phone is deleting also on tablet. Gmail automatically removes from server so there's no problem there.

Tnx for your explanation.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
There's other email clients besides AquaMail with an IMAP option to delete on the server. I know Maildroid does and no doubt there's more. But I admit AquaMail is my favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa