Gmail Not Deleting Emails

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi. I seem to have a problem where if I delete emails and I go read another email when I go back to my inbox the deleted emails are back. It's inconsistent because sometimes it will bring back all the emails deleted just then or just bring back some. I've never encountered this on any phone I've ever use both android and ios. Has anyone else experienced this?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

This is an unusual event. I've seen email apps that only delete the email from the phone but none that seem to delete the item only to have it reappear. In the meantime there are a couple of answers that might help us help you.

What device do you have?

What app are you using for email?

If you delete the item again does it stay gone? If not how many times do you have attempt to delete it before it doesn't come back?

Does it matter if you're on WiFi or data?

Is there anything you have tried? What is your method for deleting emails under these conditions?

In the meantime you might try clearing the app cache. Which reminds me, how long has this been happening on this device? Rereading your post it almost sounds like you just bought this device and right out of the box you are having this issue. Anyway, I would start by clearing the app cache. See if that clears it up. If not try clearing the app data. This will cause you to have to set the app up again but a fresh start could be what is needed.

Let us know what you find. To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this a Gmail account, or some other email provider account you're accessing through the Gmail app? If the latter, then do you know if the account is using the POP3 or IMAP server?

Last edited:

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Gmail Issue

Hi. So I posted this on an "ask" thread but I found out that this forum doesn't work well on chrome on Pixel 6 (irony) and I can't reply or even log in there. Anyway, my Gmail app has an issue with deleting (or bringing back) messages after being deleted. I would delete a whole bunch of emails and then when I go to read an email, when I come back, some or all of the messages I just deleted are back. It happens all the time, since I got my phone 2 months ago. I'm using the native gmail app on the pixel 6 and whatever protocols are default when you set up email. Also, why is it that I can't make the "all inboxes" default when opening Gmail app like it is on ios? I would think that Gmail on a Pixel would have far more capabilities than on ios. I have to select "all inboxes" everytime I open the app to check mail.

Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged your duplicate threads and made you the owner of the original guest post. When you tried to access the thread on Chrome, did it show up in a different format, with larger font? That's the Q&A format, which doesn't allow anyone to log in or reply. Not sure why that happens, and why we keep that format around. If you see that, look at the URL and delete any characters after "html", then press return -- that will usually bring up the normal format.

In the meantime, review the questions we asked earlier.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Gmail Issue

Hi. So I posted this on an "ask" thread but I found out that this forum doesn't work well on chrome on Pixel 6 (irony) and I can't reply or even log in there. Anyway, my Gmail app has an issue with deleting (or bringing back) messages after being deleted. I would delete a whole bunch of emails and then when I go to read an email, when I come back, some or all of the messages I just deleted are back. It happens all the time, since I got my phone 2 months ago. I'm using the native gmail app on the pixel 6 and whatever protocols are default when you set up email. Also, why is it that I can't make the "all inboxes" default when opening Gmail app like it is on ios? I would think that Gmail on a Pixel would have far more capabilities than on ios. I have to select "all inboxes" everytime I open the app to check mail.

Thanks for any help.
Hi , you can download app version for the forums it's easier to navigate , also check this thread out for Gmail

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-6a/1049262-gmail-default-all-inboxes.html#post7097566

This for Forums app
.https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.quoord.tapatalkacf.activity&token=CFeNBqEy

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I merged your duplicate threads and made you the owner of the original guest post. When you tried to access the thread on Chrome, did it show up in a different format, with larger font? That's the Q&A format, which doesn't allow anyone to log in or reply. Not sure why that happens, and why we keep that format around. If you see that, look at the URL and delete any characters after "html", then press return -- that will usually bring up the normal format.

In the meantime, review the questions we asked earlier.

I couldn't find a way to log in.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
However it is set up whenever I add emails. The way whatever Pixel 6 does them. I've never done anything beyond putting my email and password on the Gmail app on any phone ever.
Have you taken a look at the links I Left?

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

This is an unusual event. I've seen email apps that only delete the email from the phone but none that seem to delete the item only to have it reappear. In the meantime there are a couple of answers that might help us help you.

What device do you have?

What app are you using for email?

If you delete the item again does it stay gone? If not how many times do you have attempt to delete it before it doesn't come back?

Does it matter if you're on WiFi or data?

Is there anything you have tried? What is your method for deleting emails under these conditions?

In the meantime you might try clearing the app cache. Which reminds me, how long has this been happening on this device? Rereading your post it almost sounds like you just bought this device and right out of the box you are having this issue. Anyway, I would start by clearing the app cache. See if that clears it up. If not try clearing the app data. This will cause you to have to set the app up again but a fresh start could be what is needed.

Let us know what you find. To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Pixel 6
Gmail app
No. sometimes I have to delete things 2 or 3 times.
Doesn't matter if wifi or cellular
I've tried deleting email by swiping, by selecting, by reading and then deleting. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.
This has been happening since day one of my using my pixel 6. Never had this issue with any device since I've had a smartphone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
However it is set up whenever I add emails. The way whatever Pixel 6 does them. I've never done anything beyond putting my email and password on the Gmail app on any phone ever.

Sometimes when you add a non-Gmail email account automatically, it might still default to the older POP3 server protocol. The reason why I keep asking about this is that POP3 could potentially lead to the kind of behavior you're seeing. There might be a setting where deleting an email on your phone isn't actually deleting it on the email server, and hence keeps getting re-synced. This is why IMAP (which is a relatively newer and more powerful protocol) is better to use. See this support page under the section "POP & IMAP settings for non-Gmail addresses": https://support.google.com/mail/ans...py=,pop-imap-settings-for-non-gmail-addresses

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes when you add a non-Gmail email account automatically, it might still default to the older POP3 server protocol. The reason why I keep asking about this is that POP3 could potentially lead to the kind of behavior you're seeing. There might be a setting where deleting an email on your phone isn't actually deleting it on the email server, and hence keeps getting re-synced. This is why IMAP (which is a relatively newer and more powerful protocol) is better to use. See this support page under the section "POP & IMAP settings for non-Gmail addresses": https://support.google.com/mail/ans...py=,pop-imap-settings-for-non-gmail-addresses

they are all gmail accounts. wouldn't adding any gmail account to a gmail app automatically use the imap out of the box?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Gmail accounts are automatically IMAP when added to the Gmail app, so we can rule that out, at least.

These are personal emails, and not emails from businesses? When you delete them, are you using the trash icon, or are you swiping away?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I experience this on IMAP accounts for non gmail accounts. It does not delete the email from the server, therefore it comes back. There is no setting option to delete the email from the server when deleting from the gmail app. What is more interesting is that I have an account set to sync every 15 minutes but it reappears in only a minute or 2.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I experience this on IMAP accounts for non gmail accounts. It does not delete the email from the server, therefore it comes back. There is no setting option to delete the email from the server when deleting from the gmail app. What is more interesting is that I have an account set to sync every 15 minutes but it reappears in only a minute or 2.

Hmm, that's weird -- that's the opposite behavior of what I would expect, since IMAP should just sync things. It's definitely a Delete command you're using, and not an Archive command? (I never use non-Gmail accounts in my Gmail app, so I'm not even sure you can Archive on a non-Gmail account.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d