Unlocked AT&T Branded - safe to apply 4.23.617.1 to move up to Nougat?

legionnaire2

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I have an unlocked but carrier branded AT&T HTC One M9. I've got it up to Marshmallow. While waiting for AT&T to certify and release Nougat, I noticed that the HTC One site has the Nougat Rom for Unlocked HTC One M9s here.

1. Has anyone applied this to your AT&T branded unlocked M9?
  2. What issues do I need to watch out for?
  3. If I run into an issue, how do I revert to Marshmallow?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What exactly did you unlock? SIM unlocked? If so , you are still salved to AT&T's release. You will have to convert into Developer edition to be able to apply the releases posted by HTC.

legionnaire2

May 7, 2017
Visit site
What exactly did you unlock? SIM unlocked? If so , you are still salved to AT&T's release. You will have to convert into Developer edition to be able to apply the releases posted by HTC.
Correct. The phone is SIM unlocked. Pardon my naivete, but do I follow a procedure like the one outlined here to convert to the Developer edition?

Presumably this voids any warranty that HTC offers on the device? I just bought this a couple of days ago, and want to understand what I am getting into before going too far down this path.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Of course, warranty will be voided if you flash anything other than AT&T version of the firmware. And the process could also bricked your phone completely. So, do it at your own risk.