Mobile Network Question

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
At the local AT&T store playing with a One-X, I noticed in the settings that I can disable Mobile Network. Now I'm pretty certain this turns off data but leaves the ability to talk and text, am I right? The rep told me that I was incorrect, and I may very well be. Just curious. I plan to use wifi primarily.

I'm likely wrong, as my wife would tell you...

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if you disable the mobile network then you will not be able to send or recieve texts, phonecalls or access any of your network apps that need mobile data.

You will still be able to get data via wifi so u will get emails, be able to use the browser etc etc.

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So I was wrong... go figure.

On my iPhone, if I was connected to a wireless network it would use that instead of the radios. Is that true with this device (android) as well? Will something like APNdroid work here as well?

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is true with any phone. If you are worried about data just the free data enabler app. All you do is tap the app and it turns off cellular data. You could still talk and text just not mms(pic messages) .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks PewterL31. My company pays my bill and they won't pay overages. Not going to complain, just wanted to be sure. Thought I read that LTE didn't disable on the HTC One-X. On my SGS2 and Inspire, I was easily able to toggle. This is my first LTE device with AT&T and it wouldn't shock me if they figured a way around it.

1earful

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
At the local AT&T store playing with a One-X, I noticed in the settings that I can disable Mobile Network. Now I'm pretty certain this turns off data but leaves the ability to talk and text, am I right? The rep told me that I was incorrect, and I may very well be. Just curious. I plan to use wifi primarily.

i have an international one x on at&t prepaid $2/day of use. i bought a data package at the time i opened my account, but my understanding is that the data package will not be renewable due to a change in at&t's policy. in any event, i am on wi-fi most of the time and keep mobile off. i still get text messages from at&t (which don't get charged to my bill) and can talk and text with mobile network off, though i don't do much of either, which i why i went for the $2 prepaid plan. with the network off, when i start my phone, there is no at&t logo, but the lock screen says at&t at the top above the time and date. i only turn mobile network on when i am out and about and wi-fi is not immediately accessible - i only use it to check e-mails. once my data package expires, i will carry my mobile hotspot from clearwire, but i still expect to be able to use the phone (talk, text) with mobile network unavailable.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

It clearly says on on the screen under Mobile Network
"Use phone for data connections when WiFi is unavailable"

So this setting ONLY applies to DATA, and you still get Voice and Text messages. (Text messages go via the GSM signaling channel, - NOT the data channel).

So by setting this off, you wont get email, web, GoogleTalk, facebook, weather reports, etc while away from wifi, but you will still have Text and Talk.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if you disable the mobile network then you will not be able to send or recieve texts, phonecalls or access any of your network apps that need mobile data.

You will still be able to get data via wifi so u will get emails, be able to use the browser etc etc.

No rnich120, you are exactly wrong about this.

With Mobile Network disabled, you still get voice and text messaging. (Try it sometime).

Don't confuse this with Airplane mode.

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks icebike. Just looking for clarification. This was true with my Inspire but the AT&T rep told me that if mobile network was switched off I would no longer be able to send or receive texts or calls. My guess it was a way to sell a larger data plan.

cd36

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the wording on AT&T is different but on my rogers one x it is called mobile data, and I can confirm that it is correct, it only controls mobile data.

So that means if I am in a place with no service I can't turn off the mobile connection. It would be a lot nicer for battery life if I could but I can't see where to do it,and imho its a huge oversight of a simple request.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1earful

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the wording on AT&T is different but on my rogers one x it is called mobile data, and I can confirm that it is correct, it only controls mobile data.

So that means if I am in a place with no service I can't turn off the mobile connection. It would be a lot nicer for battery life if I could but I can't see where to do it,and imho its a huge oversight of a simple request.

so there is no mobile data control under settings? on my one x there is a mobile network menu item one can turn off and on. when on it says use phone for data connection when wi-fi is unavailable.

cd36

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This is my settings screen. The only setting close is mobile data but it only controls sending data over the wireless network. The phone still keeps the radio on and looks for a network meanwhile killing battery life.

I spend hours at a time in areas that I know do not get service, so it would really help my battery life to be able to turn off the mobile radio on it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
If you turn off the radio you have no phone. So if that is what you want just turn off the phone.

If this is not the at&t model, tap the mobile data. (Not the on/off switch). The next Page will show a setting that allows you select GSM vs WCDMA. If you select GSM you get 2G, which is as low power as you can get and still have phone service.

Supposedly this isn't available on the at&t model.

You can also turn on airplane mode which shuts down the cell radio and then you can turn wifi back on. But again, no phone service.

Last edited:

cd36

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Why would I want to turn the phone off when I don't have service? Like I said I often spend extended periods of time in areas that I know do not have service, so why waste power keeping the radio on looking for service. I still want to use the phone though, with WiFi on.

Turning on airplane mode then turning WiFi on does work, and is what I need to do. Just find it strange I can't just control the radio by itself though. On my blackberry I could turn the radio off only to save power when I know I have no service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty