Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb Best replacement text messaging apps.

Hello all, I am new to the forum and glad to be here. I have learned some valuable info about my HOX from your post and I'm very grateful. Coming from an iPhone 4s, I am excited about my HOX. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it. Loving the customization options and the endless things I can do to my phone. It feels good to no longer be limited.

Anyone have any good replacement text messaging apps suggestions. The stock one is fine but wanted to see what other options I have. (It feels good to have options LOL) I have heard about Go Pro and Handacent (hope I spelled it right). What are your thoughts? Thanks in advanced for your help!
    Thanked by:

Go sms pro is nice as long as you save it on your phone, not sd card. If its on your sd card it will take time to load upon a reboot. Awesome though

sent from my SCH-I510 using tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Best replacement text messaging apps.

If you ever ran your iPhone jailbroken you would know bite SMS. Go SMS is very close to that. Its excellent.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Go SMS Pro, Handcent, and Chomp SMS are three popular ones.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Go SMS is the best one

I just got it today and the different themes are amazing and there are even options to hand write messages which can be useful at times.

Google voice. Love being able to continue conversations between my desktop, one x, and iPad. Have to get everyone used to your new google voice number though. Changed 2 years ago, and now I don't even give out my "real" number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rlb

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

So what is the advantage of these replacement text messaging apps vs the stock one?

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

One of the main things is the whole customization that you can do with the third party apps. You can change every aspect. Background, color of text, bubble style and much more . There is more to the customization aspect of it but usually that's the main advantage over stock.

Sent from my HTC One X

Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    So what is the advantage of these replacement text messaging apps vs the stock one?
    can't speak for the other apps, but handcent has a larger maximum mms size.

my main reason for switching to go sms pro was so that i can block all those spam messages.

Unhappy Re: Best replacement text messaging apps.

Love Google voice, but can't send pictures with it! Strictly text!

Quote Originally Posted by onick View Post
    my main reason for switching to go sms pro was so that i can block all those spam messages.
    How does one get spam text messages?

I've never even once got one of these?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1earful View Post
    can't speak for the other apps, but handcent has a larger maximum mms size.
    But only if your contacts all use it as well.
    Hox has a setting for max mms size, but it's still pretty limited.

I have seen talk of people changing the mms size settings on the custom roms specifically to better mms iphone users. I did not pay close attention as I use google voice. Insofar as SMS replacement apps, google voice saves me $30/month by not having to pay for texting at all. Best feature on any SMS app . There are quirks, like no MMS and the whole new phone number thing, but the savings make up for it.

That said, GoSMS, Handcent and the AOSP Messaging app are all pretty good. Handcent and GoSMS have popup support, which is a love or hate thing and have themes that can be applied to change their look.

Yow do you get GoSMS to turn on the screen and show an incoming message? It just turns on the screen for me. It doesn't show the message unless I unlock.

--C

I use GoSMS Pro for regular texts, but I would also like to chime in with WhatsApp for bypassing regular text usage (if you have monthly limits). It requires the other person you are texting to have it, but it is a great program, pretty much all my contacts have it, so I don't think about my text usage.

Why whatsapp, when every android phone comes with Google talk?
    Even iphone has apps for Google Talk.

Go SMS for me.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I actually like the stock app, but I used to use Go SMS and Handcent. Both are nice apps.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Hi...i saw your recommendation to someone else regarding the Go sms pro...I had that on my bionic droid but had to deactivate it...everytime i received a text message it kept repeating it over and over non stop. Any advise? I dont like the one the phones comes with...it doesnt pop up on the screen...did you have any problems with it?

Smile Re: Best replacement text messaging apps.

Full screen caller ID pro can do it for you, it has feature for messaging just like you need....I think.

yet another vote for Go SMS. Handcent is a close second. I've found lately that I dont use too many of the Go SMS options anymore though and may just jump back to stock.

Handcent is my current default. Go was good but after awhile I started having issues with the privacy box. It kept putting private messages in the public box. Otherwise lots of ways to customize and everyone likes the themes they offer. I like and use handcent now. It does a better job with the privacy box but you have to start an account to use some of the features. They both have their pluses and minuses but both are better then stock.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.

Textra is my favorite.