"New Multimedia Message" for SMS from iPhones

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Many of my friends/family have iPhones. All the text messages I receive from them come to me with "New Multimedia Message" in the preview line of the stock Sense SMS app...even though they are not MMS messages. I suspect this is because they have iMessage turned on.

Group messaging also does not work - group SMS from others are broken up in to separate threads, making it impossible to follow the conversation.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am not interested in using a third-party SMS app, especially one that would require everyone else to use it too.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
iMessage uses data, so it shouldn't be doing that.

I can't remember, but on the iPhone, can you tell it to convert the message back to SMS? text messages can be sent as an MMS on some phones, so that's more likely what's going on..

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
iMessage uses data, so it shouldn't be doing that.

I can't remember, but on the iPhone, can you tell it to convert the message back to SMS? text messages can be sent as an MMS on some phones, so that's more likely what's going on..

Correct. All group texts from iPhones cone thru on an android phone as mms

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought there was inter-operability between imessage and Google Talk.
At least on iChat (the predecessor of imessage) this worked, and according to this thread on Apple support it still works on the Mac version of Imessage.

But maybe your apple friends don't have your gtalk address (gmail address), or maybe the iphone imessage app doesn't interoperate with gtalk. Just as likely, most apple users couldn't figure out how to use it if it did work.

Why Gtalk is Already the SMS Replacement that iMessage Wants to Be

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Correct. All group texts from iPhones cone thru on an android phone as mms

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

This is correct. My brother send out group texts when we're watching sports. They all come across as MMS and I have an old school Evo Shift.

pdx225

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Handcent and go sms don't need your iphone friends to have the ap. I just got the HoX and use Handcent to communicate with friends that use iphones and send out group sms. Previous phone was a 4s, so that was one of the things I thought I was missing out on until i got the handcent app.

Mary Jo Oliver

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Many of my friends/family have iPhones. All the text messages I receive from them come to me with "New Multimedia Message" in the preview line of the stock Sense SMS app...even though they are not MMS messages. I suspect this is because they have iMessage turned on.

Group messaging also does not work - group SMS from others are broken up in to separate threads, making it impossible to follow the conversation.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am not interested in using a third-party SMS app, especially one that would require everyone else to use it too.