how to change default icons? newbie here

musicmad21

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
hello guys, android newbie here so dont get mad :)

i'm running stock and non rooted and would like to keep it that way if i can,
but is there a way to change default icons like phone, sms, email icons to another icons without running another launcher or rooting? any apps that would work or can i edit them somehow?

any advice would be great
thank you

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Easiest way I can think of is to use another launcher like Nova or Apex, then download an icon pack for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

musicmad21

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Easiest way I can think of is to use another launcher like Nova or Apex, then download an icon pack for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

sorry to be a noob but what do launcher actually do?
can you hit a button and go back the stock one at any time and do they wipe anything of the phone or do they drain battery faster? and what launcher is closest to stock as possible and stable?

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
sorry to be a noob but what do launcher actually do?
can you hit a button and go back the stock one at any time and do they wipe anything of the phone or do they drain battery faster? and what launcher is closest to stock as possible and stable?

Launchers let you overlay your stock launcher with one from the PS, and theme them to your heart's desire. You can set any launcher as the default one and when you get bored of it, and just change back to the stock one any time.

NOVA Launcher and APEX Launcher are the two most loved by the Android community. The download their free versions and decide for yourself which one you want.
They don't drain battery faster. :thumbup::D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

musicmad21

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Launchers let you overlay your stock launcher with one from the PS, and theme them to your heart's desire. You can set any launcher as the default one and when you get bored of it, and just change back to the stock one any time.

NOVA Launcher and APEX Launcher are the two most loved by the Android community. The download their free versions and decide for yourself which one you want.
They don't drain battery faster. :thumbup::D

ok thanks i might try apex just a quick question tho if i install apex will it wipe the apps and numbers of my phone? and how can you switch between launcher and if i decide to stick with stock launcher how can i delete launcher is there a app in the app drawer like games?

musicmad21

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
also in apex can i change default icons like phone and if so how any tutorial about and if i change them will it permanently remove the icon from the phone if i go back to stock sorry for so many question first android phone and a bit of a learning curb coming from a iphone? and what size icons for htc one x?

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
ok thanks i might try apex just a quick question tho if i install apex will it wipe the apps and numbers of my phone? and how can you switch between launcher and if i decide to stick with stock launcher how can i delete launcher is there a app in the app drawer like games?

No. Apex won't wipe anything. When you install a launcher from the market and press the home button, you can select a launcher from there. Also you can set one launcher to be the default one. If you wish to revert back to the stock launcher from apex, and just go to Settings>Apps>Apex Launcher, and click on clear defaults.
After you've cleared defaults you can uninstall apex like any other app.
Yes there is an icon in the app drawer.

also in apex can i change default icons like phone and if so how any tutorial about and if i change them will it permanently remove the icon from the phone if i go back to stock sorry for so many question first android phone and a bit of a learning curb coming from a iphone? and what size icons for htc one x?

Yes, you can change the icons of any app in Apex.
No it doesn't remove the icon from the phone, just replaces it in Apex, that's all.
And don't fear its not hard. Plus that's what we all are here for. :D;)

You can also look up the help option in Apex settings.

Hope this helps... ;) and don't forget to thank;):p

Last edited:

musicmad21

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
No. Apex won't wipe anything. When you install a launcher from the market and press the home button, you can select a launcher from there. Also you can set one launcher to be the default one. If you wish to revert back to the stock launcher from apex, and just go to Settings>Apps>Apex Launcher, and click on clear defaults.
After you've cleared defaults you can uninstall apex like any other app.
Yes there is an icon in the app drawer.

Yes, you can change the icons of any app in Apex.
No it doesn't remove the icon from the phone, just replaces it in Apex, that's all.
And don't fear its not hard. Plus that's what we all are here for. :D;)

You can also look up the help option in Apex settings.

Hope this helps... ;) and don't forget to thank;):p

thank you so much for your help you have been so kind sharing information,l but just one more thing if you don't mind, exactly how do i change the icons like phone, sms for another icon i found some on the internet what size do i need to look for and how do i install them exactly please?

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll need icon packs, search the Play Store for them.... To change an icon manually in Apex Launcher, long press on the icon and choose SELECT ICON.

musicmad21

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
You'll need icon packs, search the Play Store for them.... To change an icon manually in Apex Launcher, long press on the icon and choose SELECT ICON.

thanks for the help once again ;) i only want to change a few icons i already got so wont bother with the packs maybe later i'll check them out but thanks for the information.
you've been so kind to help me out again thank you :)