Anyone on AT&T using Google Voice for Voicemail? Too many rings!

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I installed Google Voice on my AT&T HTC One X+ (Jelly Bean 4.1.1) and installed the Google Voice App. I disabled the AT&T Visual Voicemail and AT&T Messages apps.

I add the cell number to my Google Voice account. I went through the process to enter the code to forward voicemail on my phone to my Google Voice number.

** I selected the option in Advanced Settings for the cell number to "go directly to Voicemail" in Google voice **

However, when I call my cell, it rings 5 times, then forwards to Google Voice, then rings 5 times before the Voicemail picks up, so it takes 10 or 11 rings to get to my voicemail!

I used a separate phone and called my Google Voice number directly and it takes 5 rings before voicemail picks up.

It seems that Google Voice for some reason isn't recognizing my cell as a forwarded to voicemail call and is treating it like a normal call.

Help!

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I figured it out. Since AT&T doesn't have "tight" GV integration, like Verizon, to activate you are essentially just forwarding the call. When the call comes in to GV, the number is not the number of the cell, but the number of the person calling, so GV doesn't know if this is a direct call or a forwarded call that was unanswered from the cell.

There's a simple solution but it only works because I'm not using my GV phone number for incoming calls. Just turn the Do Not Disturb feature on in GV and now all calls go direct to voicemail.

This leaves the question though, what is the "direct to voicemail" setting for then under the cell number setup within Google Voice? How would it identify the phone number forwarded from instead of the callers phone number on forwarded calls?

Purplelinny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to know how you got GV to work. I also have the One X+ on AT&T, but when trying to change voicemail service, I get the message, " Failed to retrieve and save current forwarding number settings. Do you want to switch to the new provider anyway?". I click yes, then it tells me, " forwarding number change unsuccessful. Please contact your carrier if this problem persists". The GV app is all set up, but still no bueno.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Skip this step when installing the app. You set this up from the website on a pc. This is an att thing.

I have used gv since day one with no problems, other than the setup quirk.

Did not have to do that setup with the captivate.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

Purplelinny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ahh. It was already enabled via the website from using it on my iPhone, but I had to deactivate and reactivate to make it work again. Thanks for making me look at the web!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this tip, I finally have my Google Voice Mail fixed. Enabling Do Not Disturb fixed it instantly.

I have another device but your tip applies to everyone on AT&T trying to use Google Voice for their voice mail service.