New Android user, help me out with a few questions

Miner

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I just bit the bullet and updated form a Palm Centro (Palm OS) to an HTC One. Never used Android before. Help me out with a few questions:

1. Security/Privacy. When installing new apps the ?App permissions? listings are not reassuring or encouraging. Example: The Twitter app shows ?Modify your contacts, read your contacts, request access to your Twitter account?, Your Accounts: ?add or remove accounts, create accounts and set passwords, use accounts on the device.? System Tools: prevent phone from sleeping, toggle sync on and off. Does anyone worry about this kind of fthing?

-- Some of the speed tests apps for example come from Russia, and eastern Europe, etc. Would anyone really install these and not worry?

2. Links in Firefox and Chrome: Some links just won?t click, no matter how many times you press on them. Example is the blue links (Reviews, Tools, Forums, FAQs?) across top of the page on www.broadbandreports.com, they don?t work in Chrome, and only work sometimes in FF. Am I missing something?

3. Flash. I though this worked in FF and Chrome. Chrome: ?Chrome for Android does not support this plug in?, on FF I?m constantly getting ?Tap to Activate??.

4. Java: Chrome says the plug in is not supported. I have yet to figure out how to fibd the add-on for this in FF.

A few more questions later on...

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just bit the bullet and updated form a Palm Centro (Palm OS) to an HTC One. Never used Android before. Help me out with a few questions:

1. Security/Privacy. When installing new apps the ?App permissions? listings are not reassuring or encouraging. Example: The Twitter app shows ?Modify your contacts, read your contacts, request access to your Twitter account?, Your Accounts: ?add or remove accounts, create accounts and set passwords, use accounts on the device.? System Tools: prevent phone from sleeping, toggle sync on and off. Does anyone worry about this kind of fthing?

-- Some of the speed tests apps for example come from Russia, and eastern Europe, etc. Would anyone really install these and not worry?

2. Links in Firefox and Chrome: Some links just won?t click, no matter how many times you press on them. Example is the blue links (Reviews, Tools, Forums, FAQs?) across top of the page on www.broadbandreports.com, they don?t work in Chrome, and only work sometimes in FF. Am I missing something?

3. Flash. I though this worked in FF and Chrome. Chrome: ?Chrome for Android does not support this plug in?, on FF I?m constantly getting ?Tap to Activate??.

4. Java: Chrome says the plug in is not supported. I have yet to figure out how to fibd the add-on for this in FF.

A few more questions later on...

1.) Sometimes I worry about it when the permissions doesn't make sense. But for twitter and stuff like that it makes sense. Like sometimes when you read a permission where they can take pictures or videos it just means it needs access to those while you're in an app, so if you want to upload a picture with the camera that's when they use it. But when they ask for those for a game? I question those. But it seems we give up privacy for anything now. And also, everything else needs those same requirements, at least Android tells you exactly what they need. You can google the app and it's requirements to see in plain English when and how it's used. But I wouldn't really worry about it, unless it's some unknown app that's not very popular like Twitter and Facebook.

2.) You might just need to zoom in and click it. It usually works for me.

3.) The HTC One uses Android Jelly Bean, (4.1+) and Flash is NO LONGER supported at this point. You would have to side load it with an APK. It's easy to do but in my honest opinion I have no need for flash. But if you want to have flash there's a nifty how-to here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ad-before-posting-new-thread-about-flash.html

4.) I have no idea if you're talking about javascript or Java. Either case I don't think I can be of much help here. I'm not sure what you are doing in order to require these but for me I don't need it.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Flash: Flash doesn't work in Chrome, but I believe it works with the default browser of the HTC ONE.

This is correct. I may use Chrome most of the time, but the stock browser on this is growing on me.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Miner

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
New question: How to get "remove" oen of two Gmail accounts? I have two Gmail accounts, the main one for email, and a second one for Google Voice. I installed the GV app, signed into GV with the second Google account and then subsequently removed the GV app.

Now google keeps asking to choose one of the two accounts, such as when calling up YouTube or google maps or some other google application. I can't see how to remove or otherwise decouple the second Google account from the phone. Any help appreciated.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
He's not talking about bookmarks. When you use Crome browser on tour laptop, phone and/or tablet away page you have open you can open on another device.
It's a pretty sweet feature I use quite a bit.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
He's not talking about bookmarks. When you use Crome browser on tour laptop, phone and/or tablet away page you have open you can open on another device.
It's a pretty sweet feature I use quite a bit.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
He was asking about bookmarks and yes, both Chrome and Firefox let you do this.

A lot of the apps will explain to you in their descriptions what they use the permissions for. The Android Central app is one and once you read a few you get a better idea what they mean.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87