Is it safe to charge the battery overnight?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Do we really need to keep adding to this thread? Jerry did a excellent job of explaining the way charging works.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

czervik85

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I like to stream music and listen through Bluetooth at work. I leave it plugged in almost all day so that when I leave it has a full charge. Is that bad? I also leave it plugged in while I sleep but that is usually only for about 5 or 6 hours.
Posted via Android Central App

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I like to stream music and listen through Bluetooth at work. I leave it plugged in almost all day so that when I leave it has a full charge. Is that bad? I also leave it plugged in while I sleep but that is usually only for about 5 or 6 hours.

No its not bad.. You can charge this phone on or off 24/7 and it won't wear out or damage the battery or phone in any way.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
No its not bad.. You can charge this phone on or off 24/7 and it won't wear out or damage the battery or phone in any way.

That might be a bit of an overstatement...

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

You made me chuckle. You asked if we really needed to keep adding to this thread and then you added to the thread. :D No offense intended, I just thought it was humorous.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

This might be helpful:

"Some portable devices sit in a charge cradle in the on position. The current drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and can distort the charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic load because it induces mini-cycles. The battery is continuously being discharged to 4.20V/cell and then charged by the device. The stress level on the battery is especially high because the cycles occur at the 4.20V/cell threshold."

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
A bit off-topic but I seem unable to get the phone to 100%.
It is stuck at 99% for much time. Any ideas about it?
I searched for it but didn't find any solution. Rebooting didn't change anything, I have the original charger, no ROMs etc.
How much time should I wait for?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
A bit off-topic but I seem unable to get the phone to 100%.
It is stuck at 99% for much time. Any ideas about it?
I searched for it but didn't find any solution. Rebooting didn't change anything, I have the original charger, no ROMs etc.
How much time should I wait for?

Have you tried charging it with the phone off and then checking the level? Past problems like this that have been cited ranged from bad charger, bad battery or just the phone's properties. How is your battery life in general.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried charging it with the phone off and then checking the level? Past problems like this that have been cited ranged from bad charger, bad battery or just the phone's properties. How is your battery life in general.

Very good battery life, I'm impressed (although I have the phone for a few days).
It finally reached 100% after some time. I'll keep an eye on it.
I also installed a hefty number of apps today, plus Nova Launcher and I want to see if the battery performance will deteriorate a lot in the following days. If so I may be going back to Sense.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Definitely off topic......but since this thread has all the battery experts in it:

How about using chargers from other phones? I have a bunch of different devices & locating the charger specific to each one can be tedious.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely off topic......but since this thread has all the battery experts in it:

How about using chargers from other phones? I have a bunch of different devices & locating the charger specific to each one can be tedious.

I would think that as long as the voltage was the same and the charger was meant for lithium batteries it would work. I have several charge and I grab what's available for trips. They all work fine.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Chargers use different methods for ?ready? indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

Over-discharged batteries can be ?boosted? to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

I use my phone as an alarm clock, so I always leave it on while I charge it overnight. How much of a difference is that going to make long term verses powering the phone down to charge? Just curious!

And I've heard a couple people in here say, "charge it anytime you're able to," and yet others say, "don't leave it constantly charging," or something along the lines of that. Is it better to let the phone drain to about 50% or so before charging again? And is it still a good idea to let the first charge have to completely drain to 0% before charging again?

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone as an alarm clock, so I always leave it on while I charge it overnight. How much of a difference is that going to make long term verses powering the phone down to charge? Just curious!

And I've heard a couple people in here say, "charge it anytime you're able to," and yet others say, "don't leave it constantly charging," or something along the lines of that. Is it better to let the phone drain to about 50% or so before charging again? And is it still a good idea to let the first charge have to completely drain to 0% before charging again?

If you click on the link in the post you quoted there are other articles. There is one about how to keep lithium batteries healthy or something to that effect. The tldr is the less deep and less often a battery is discharged the better. Charge often. No, never let the battery hit 0 if you can. This is one of the worst things you can do for battery life.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If you click on the link in the post you quoted there are other articles. There is one about how to keep lithium batteries healthy or something to that effect. The tldr is the less deep and less often a battery is discharged the better. Charge often. No, never let the battery hit 0 if you can. This is one of the worst things you can do for battery life.

+1

This was the tip I got when I ask the Genius Bar at Apple Store back when I had the 4S.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
[B
Makes sense! So the less deep would indicate charging even at 80% or 90%, but less often would indicate waiting till it's lower than that? Right? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just don't want to have a terrible battery life in a year! I can already see I'll be investing in a car charger and be one of those students who camps out on campus by an outlet with their phone charger...

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
[B
Makes sense! So the less deep would indicate charging even at 80% or 90%, but less often would indicate waiting till it's lower than that? Right? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just don't want to have a terrible battery life in a year! I can already see I'll be investing in a car charger and be one of those students who camps out on campus by an outlet with their phone charger...

Less often meaning the less often the battery is discharged to any level. Charge as often as you can. If you have long periods where it is difficult to access an outlet I suggest investing in an external battery pack. I presently use a Solio which can be recharged by the sun but I'm looking at one of the Anker packs for a smaller device when not doing outdoors things.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, this is not a good idea. Dont let your phone for charing more than 8 or 9 hours.

Since that's in contradiction to every expert and conventional wisdom, could you elaborate on the reasoning of this?

Edit: Same question to the post following this one too.

Last edited:

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
If you're gonna have your next phone in the next 1 year time, then shouldn't be a problem, if it's for long term use then don't charge it this way. Non removable battery needs more care than a removable. If you're on a S4 then go ahead with overnight charging habit.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty