charging basics

bernandops

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, i have a really simple question for you.
Should i turn off my phone first before i charge my phone ?
3 years ago i bought a blackberry bold, then the clerk told me that to preserve battery life i should turn it off before charging. And it seems to be true since i felt a decrease in battery life a year later.
I bought my One early october and since early december after the led turns green i unplugged it and turn it on, suddenly the battery rapidly dropped to 95% in a minute. Now, after i unplugged the phone after its fully charged, in a minute it says the battery is 89% like a magic.
Im really frustated with this and whats your thoughts on this ?
Please give me tips to slower the declining battery life.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. no you don't have to turn off your phone when charging.
2. stop obsessing about the battery % indicator. it is not exact nor linear.

i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Switch to "Battery Saving" Mode).
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, etc.
4. Disable Location Reporting/History.
5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, Google News and Weather, Google Currents, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete the Apps you never use.
6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in Google Search if you don't use it.
7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
10. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
11. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
12. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
13. Uncheck "Always Scanning" in WIFI settings.
14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less.
17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/331785-battery-life.html#post3221342

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just because the battery drops fast at certain points doesn't mean there is anything wrong. Best thing to do is quit looking at the battery level and simply enjoy you device. When it notifies you its low check the battery usage history then you will actually have some real info to analyse.

Yes disconnection of the charger when its full is good for overall battery life. The less time spent at over 90% or under 10% the better. Now don't over worry about this fact tho. Because most people never experience the benefits before upgrading to a new device. We are talking a +-10% nothing to get an ulcer over.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To add to the good advice the other people have stated you can try to better calibrate the percentage of your device by letting it run completely down to the point where your phone shuts off. While its off plug it in. Keep it off while its charging. Once its green turn the phone back on, still keeping it plugged in. The indicator will go green to red for a short time. Once your at 100% then you can unplug and use your phone. By running it down to zero and leaving it off and fully charging it you essentially are calibrating the device.
Currently its off, and if it drops to 90% or so within minutes theres a good chance it could do the opposite when it gets so 5% or less. It might sit there for an hour or so because the calibration is off.
Also going back to your BB days, keep in mind these batteries and devices in general were only designed to be used for 2 years.
After 2 years you will definitely see battery capacity start to deteriorate. Thats just the nature of the battery ecosysytem.

bernandops

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Haha yeah guys, i dont know why im so obsessed with this little % thing. Thank you for your advices, i'll enjoy this magnificent one of mine now

Posted via Android Central App