Microphone...design flaw?

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an Otterbox Defender and have had several people tell me I can't be heard very well. Is there no mic in the lower speaker? The one on the bottom of the phone is basically buried with the case on (surrounded, not covered). Anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
First question that comes to mind: how do people hear you once you go caseless? I will say this: I know people who are using that case and they randomly go super quiet and then like 5 seconds later they are fine. Remove from case and problem solved.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The same happens to me also with this case. But I've noticed it only happens if I'm holding the phone with my chin. Its definitely the case. Not the phone..

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using AC Forums mobile app

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If it truly is the case, I suggest taking the case off and enlarge the hole with a drill bit. Looking at my UAG case the microphone hole is quite larger.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
No doubting it is the case but was more interested if others felt the placement of this mic was a design flaw. Why not place it near the lower speaker? Obviously since I am cased, caseless is not an option. Making the hole larger won't work either due to the design of the Otterbox.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Was just offering though. Make sure it actually is the case and then proceed from there. Maybe a return is an option? Doesn't have to be an otterbox. Sure don't know how people can use those things. The plastic overlay is atrocious. Gimme a mophie juice pack any day.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
why don't you wrap it in a plastic bag and check if people can hear you?

of course its a design flaw... of your otterbox case!

htc just designs the phone they can't predict how third party case manufacturers will design their cases or what hideous piece of plastic equipment people will wrap around their htc one.

the htc one mic works fine where it is. sorry your case doesn't work out for you but it has nothing to do with htc's design choice. many phones have the mic at the bottom just because the htc one has speakers on the front bottom does not mean it should have placed the mic there as well.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
No doubting it is the case but was more interested if others felt the placement of this mic was a design flaw. Why not place it near the lower speaker? Obviously since I am cased, caseless is not an option. Making the hole larger won't work either due to the design of the Otterbox.

if they put the mic anywhere closer to the speaker you would end up with feedback when on speaker phone.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
why don't you wrap it in a plastic bag and check if people can hear you?

of course its a design flaw... of your otterbox case!

htc just designs the phone they can't predict how third party case manufacturers will design their cases or what hideous piece of plastic equipment people will wrap around their htc one.

the htc one mic works fine where it is. sorry your case doesn't work out for you but it has nothing to do with htc's design choice. many phones have the mic at the bottom just because the htc one has speakers on the front bottom does not mean it should have placed the mic there as well.
Lets just calm down, OP just asked a simple question. No need to reply in an angry type fashion.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
i wasnt angry. just baffled at the suggestion that the phone was wrongly designed because he couldnt get his case to work.

Fella, the mic location is very oddly placed regardless of case design. I asked a simple question, regarding whether anyone else was having a similar issue. Shoot me your resume, I'll forward to HTC for you.

PreCiiSiioN

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Troneas seems to always try to shoot people down.. I would choose a "third party" company to make my case rather than buy a cheap piece of plastic to wrap around my phone. Some of us have jobs that involve a little movement, so why not trust a phone case company to protect your phone? HTC makes phones, not cases.

Anyways, I have this same case on my HTC One. The only time that people can't really hear me is when I use my shoulder to hold the phone. If you're holding your phone with your left or right hand, 95% of the time, it will work great.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Troneas seems to always try to shoot people down..

:(

i dont think i try to shoot people down.

its just some people have a peculiar way of expressing their issues.

instead of asking if other people were also having problems with their otterbox case, the OP twisted his problem around to ask if the htc had been well designed.

i don't know if he is being serious or not.

in your case i went to great length and worry to help you out with your GPS problem but again, before explaining your issue you had to had a go at HTC by detailing the history of problems you had faced with your previous phones. that and the fact that you hadnt gone into any detail about your GPS problem (only that it was faulty "sometimes") so that we could better help you made me think it was just a rant in disguise.

Last edited:

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Last time I checked, I was free to question the design of any product. IMO, HTCs location choice of this mic is poor and I was asking just just that...you are the one that twisted it into something more. End of discussion...consider this thread closed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall