Why can't we all have ICS?

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Why can't Android be more like Apple in ONE respect: getting updates out to everyone at the same time. I realize that unlike Apple, there are hardware differences due to the different manufacturers, but this should be figured in when they get their upgrades out. Here we are with the announcement that Jelly Bean is nearly upon us yet under 8% of all Android phones even have ICS. C'mon Google.

Just wondering on a lovely Saturday Afternoon!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Nothing new as u stated only 3 iPhone with all same hardware minus radios. So it's easy to update it. You won't see official jb on a phone till the fall. After the next phone nexus is released

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There are numerous reasons. It's basically an apple's to orange's thing (no pun intended).

1. Multiple parties involved; the software maker (Google), numerous device manufacturers (ex. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc.) and numerous cell carriers (ex. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon). All have a part to play in the software updates a device may receive.
2. Vast amount of different hardware in the ecosystem. Provides variety, but makes it more difficult to keep them all updated on the same software. Also many older devices don't always have the specs to run newer software.
3. Many device manufacturers put there own skin into the OS (ex. Sense, TouchWiz, Blur, etc.) which needs to be tested and updated to ensure it works properly with new Android versions.
4. Many cell carriers add in their own software (bloatware) that has to be tested.
5. Cellular carriers need to test and approve the software (once they receive it from the device manufacturer) before they push it out to devices.
6. Cost to benefit ratio for the various device manufacturers and cell carriers. They can't always justify the cost to continually test and push out newer software versions for every device. They will however tend to focus on maintenance releases to swash bugs.

In comparison, Apple has a very different model in that they produce the hardware (limited types of device models) and the software with little to no carrier involvement. They also use their own updating mechanism mainly via the iTunes software and only recently via OTA with the latest IOS versions. Basically this whole setup gives Apple greater control of the ecosystem of their products. So as long as the hardware can support the newer software, it will most likely get it.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Google should take a little more control in how updates are sent out. Then again they only care about data mining us for ad purposes. Their not really in it for us.

manordwall

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Samsung bought first rights in ICS before Google purchased Motorola. Google can not legally release ICS until that contract runs out which is hopefully soon. That being said they should at least have all other devices updated to honeycomb.

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Carriers and manufacturers.

Manufacturers refuse to follow the Google Hardware standard and then to add insult o injury refuse to use stock Android. New versions of Android have to be HEAVILY modified to work on these platforms and then tweaked some more for the overlays.

The others major issue is carriers. Carriers, at least US ones, insist on stress testing all devices and then every bit or software and updates. Also some have said carriers don't want all stock devices but that was never an issue with the iOS, Windows Phone, Symbian, or Blackberry platforms....

Samsung bought first rights in ICS before Google purchased Motorola. Google can not legally release ICS until that contract runs out which is hopefully soon. That being said they should at least have all other devices updated to honeycomb.

This is straight bull . When Google released the Galaxy Nexus they released the source code. EVERYONE has access to ICS and can build from it. Many devices has ICS already not just Samsung devices. The issue is only 5% or so of Android devices have it and its frustrating when the resources for ihave been available and FREE since November

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

LOL.

And let's put Honeycomb, you know, the tablet-only version of Android, onto all other devices.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well apple has it easy thair updates have few tweak diffrances for phone as android phones all have diffrent systems only a few phones have it now because some are staying at gb but in the next few months more should get i have the atrix and im getting it in q3 along with other motorola phones other capable phones will get it to butlike i said some are staying on gb.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
EVERYONE has access to ICS and can build from it. Many devices has ICS already not just Samsung devices. The issue is only 5% or so of Android devices have it and its frustrating when the resources for ihave been available and FREE since November

Might I humbly suggest that you answered your own question/frustration?

Manufacturers refuse to follow the Google Hardware standard and then to add insult o injury refuse to use stock Android. New versions of Android have to be HEAVILY modified to work on these platforms and then tweaked some more for the overlays.

The others major issue is carriers. Carriers, at least US ones, insist on stress testing all devices and then every bit or software and updates.

The resources which may or may not be available and certainly are not free are all the development/testing manpower resources - at the manufacturer level AND the carrier level. If it was as easy as compiling that FREE source code and slapping it on the old phones, then all the phones would have it by now.

And as one may suspect, when allocating that engineering manpower, updates to OLD phones probably don't get nearly the priority that developing/testing/releasing NEW phones gets. That's just a fact of life.

Reactions: Ry

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I almost agree with this post. It would be nice if Google gave everyone the ability to compile and run their own version of Android. Basically a backdoor in Android to allow any custom build of Android. No rooting/unlocking necessary.

However, how many people would complain that their G1 running ICS is slow? I mean people tried to run XP on 386s.. so there's really no limit to what someone will attempt to run on hardware that really won't support it.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I almost agree with this post. It would be nice if Google gave everyone the ability to compile and run their own version of Android. Basically a backdoor in Android to allow any custom build of Android. No rooting/unlocking necessary.

However, how many people would complain that their G1 running ICS is slow? I mean people tried to run XP on 386s.. so there's really no limit to what someone will attempt to run on hardware that really won't support it.

No. Google needs to figure it out. 99% of the consumers don't know how to do the nerdy stuff. Google needs to take a look at its core, Linux, & see how it can support many more devices, like Ubuntu can.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The resources which may or may not be available and certainly are not free are all the development/testing manpower resources - at the manufacturer level AND the carrier level. If it was as easy as compiling that FREE source code and slapping it on the old phones, then all the phones would have it by now.

And as one may suspect, when allocating that engineering manpower, updates to OLD phones probably don't get nearly the priority that developing/testing/releasing NEW phones gets. That's just a fact of life.

So spot on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

manordwall

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
This is straight bull . When Google released the Galaxy Nexus they released the source code. EVERYONE has access to ICS and can build from it. Many devices has ICS already not just Samsung devices. The issue is only 5% or so of Android devices have it and its frustrating when the resources for ihave been available and FREE since November

Actually its not. I was told that by 3 different reps from two different Verizon stores. Samsung is the only manufacturer that can get the official update OTA. The coding might be released for other phones but Samsung is the only one that officially has it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually its not. I was told that by 3 different reps from two different Verizon stores. Samsung is the only manufacturer that can get the official update OTA. The coding might be released for other phones but Samsung is the only one that officially has it.

Lol. Seriously, just stop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As long as Android is open-source this will happen. No two ways about it, every carrier wants to bring their version of implementation to the table, with the additional complexity of having vastly different spec-ed handsets. As a result, no updating process would be as fast as a closed system like Apple 's.

If you seriously want a fast updated Google Android phone, get a Nexus. That is what this is for.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just because u can build ics doesnt mean it will work.you need radio licence wifi drivers and other goodies. Just look how long it is taking cm to release stable version. With ics it is a new ball game.

The others major issue is carriers. Carriers, at least US ones, insist on stress testing all devices and then every bit or software and updates. Also some have said carriers don't want all stock devices but that was never an issue with the iOS, Windows Phone, Symbian, or Blackberry platforms....

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just because u can build ics doesnt mean it will work.you need radio licence wifi drivers and other goodies. Just look how long it is taking cm to release stable version. With ics it is a new ball game.

I don't think it's google that needs to get the radio license.

WiFi drivers are pretty standard nowadays.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
As long as Android is open-source this will happen. No two ways about it, every carrier wants to bring their version of implementation to the table, with the additional complexity of having vastly different spec-ed handsets. As a result, no updating process would be as fast as a closed system like Apple 's.

If you seriously want a fast updated Google Android phone, get a Nexus. That is what this is for.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

No it shouldn't. Look at ubuntu & how well it works on many types of systems.

Apple's closed system has nothing to do with how updates are performed. The OS is created & pushed to phones. Google's problem is they are not invested enough in putting some guidelines in place for the carriers.

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because the OEMs only care about new new new and not supporting devices already sold. If you buy an Android phone, be prepare to receive maybe 2 minor updates and a very late major update. By that point, you don't care about your phone and want a new one.

Also, Google doesn't mandate anything besides the updates on their Nexus line.

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Why can't Android be more like Apple in ONE respect: getting updates out to everyone at the same time. I realize that unlike Apple, there are hardware differences due to the different manufacturers, but this should be figured in when they get their upgrades out. Here we are with the announcement that Jelly Bean is nearly upon us yet under 8% of all Android phones even have ICS. C'mon Google.

Just wondering on a lovely Saturday Afternoon!

Google did get the software out to everyone, they open sourced the code in November, what you bought was a HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc... phone that these companies took that source code made modifications and built their own phone. It's not google you are getting updates from but ultimately it is the OEM that built your phone and in many cases the carrier you use as well. Google puts its software out there, but unless you get a Nexus device you didn't get the software from them nor the version they released.

It's like saying you are on CM9 but are pissed you aren't getting updates from Google, or the next version, obviously you have to wait for the guys at Cyanogen to update CM to the new source code... Think of the skinned phones as custom ROM's you'd never yell at Google for not updating your custom ROM, well thats what you have.

So from now on, vote with your wallet, don't buy skinned phones, buy only stock devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty