Getting an OTA while rooted?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So I rooted my Incredible but really haven't changed anything... I deleted some bloatware and just gave access to Wireless Tether, so I'm still running the stock ROM and kernel. There are rumors that the Gingerbread OTA will be starting on Friday, so I was wondering if I'll be alright updating when I get the notification, or will I have to unroot first? I'm really not concerned about losing root after the update.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would stay rooted and use one of the gingersense ROMs available, but if you want the official OTA update I would unroot. I believe, and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, that the update looks for the bloatwere apps as a way to verify that you are indeed running the stock ROM. So I would defiantly unroot before attempting the OTA, though I would also wait until we have a concrete date when the update will be released.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I re-downloaded VZ Navigator from the Market, and I found CityID on the Phandroid forums and installed that, and moved both the APK files to the system\app directory. Hopefully that will work once the OTA hits.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!

I also read that you have to set it as a system file, so I went ahead and changed the permissions for that. We'll see how it goes. :)

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Silly question...did you not make a nandroid of your system immediately after you rooted? If you had, you could have just done a restore and *presto!* your back to stock with all the crap that comes with it.

Personally I'd just wait for a ROM chef to cookup a bloat-free version of the Gbread/Sense ROM, like say Virtuous, or Skyraider.

Also, not sure how long you've had your Inc for but one thing I learned from "The Great November *update* of 2010" is that if your rooted, don't take the update..if your rooted and not running stock definitely don't take the update. There were multiple people that tried and had problems after that.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
That's a great guide! If I decide to wait until a rooted version of the OTA gets released, will I lose all of my info when I update it manually? If so, is there an easy way to backup all of my apps and everything? I'm rather new to the rooting and flashing scene and I'm trying not to screw it up. Thanks!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You can backup using Titanium from the market - There is another app backup tool listed on the Mod's page of the ROM's and Mod's sticky as well that people like, I just can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Depends on the ROM you flash, but if it's just a rooted OTA then you can most likely flash over what you have.

Generally, it always best to do a clean wipe when flashing a "new" ROM though for stability reasons. The Preparing for thread has a good backup list for non-rooted people that will help too. The only real addition for rooted would be to use Titanium.