Looking at the LG G Pad, and had a few questions...

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Tried finding the answers by searching, but couldn't decipher by what I saw.

1) If a root is eventually developed, do we not have to worry about LG providing software updates to Android 4.x?

2) Thoughts on the device as an ereader? Text quality compared to Nexus 7, other devices? How about for reading pdf's?

3) Any thoughts on this device as a productivity device? For word processing (with an external keyboard, spreadsheets, accessing Citrix)?

Thanks in advance!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Tried finding the answers by searching, but couldn't decipher by what I saw.

1) If a root is eventually developed, do we not have to worry about LG providing software updates to Android 4.x?

I'm not convinced we need to worry about updates. First, because I'm optimistic that LG will deliver updates, and second because it doesn't matter. Most of Google's important updates come through the specific app or Google Services updates.

2) Thoughts on the device as an ereader? Text quality compared to Nexus 7, other devices? How about for reading pdf's?

The G Pad makes an outstanding reading device. The PPI isn't as high as the latest N7, but I didn't find it a noticeable difference.

3) Any thoughts on this device as a productivity device? For word processing (with an external keyboard, spreadsheets, accessing Citrix)?

I think 8 inches is the smallest screen you would want a productivity device to be, but that is personal preference. I remote desktop into systems using my G Pad with some regularity without any problems. I also have no problem connecting my BT keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
2) I use Kobo and it's really nice. Large enough to read.

3) I use it mainly as a pdf reader and editing excel sheets with Quickoffice. Works very well. 7 is a tad smaller and my iPad 3 is too big and heavy for my mobile work use.

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is so helpful.. I decided to get this via Newegg! Thanks so much!

xoxo,
Taylor

- - - Updated - - -

I tried searching for Koingo and root, no luck?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Rooting alone doesn't allow for KitKat, you'd have to look at custom ROMs for that. I haven't looked at XDA, so I don't know if any are available.

Typically, when rooted you will now have a app named SuperUser or SuperSU.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Overall very happy with this tablet. However, it doesn't run all that smoothly (at least certain apps don't). I am just comparing this to Nexus 7 and Android 4.3. Maybe it's the bloatware or whatever, or maybe it's a setting I have on right now, I don't know. I did root it, but not sure where I would go from there.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Overall very happy with this tablet. However, it doesn't run all that smoothly (at least certain apps don't). I am just comparing this to Nexus 7 and Android 4.3. Maybe it's the bloatware or whatever, or maybe it's a setting I have on right now, I don't know. I did root it, but not sure where I would go from there.
What's not running all that smoothly? Are you still using the LG launcher or have you upgraded?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you get, say, Nova Launcher once you install it you'll receive a pop-up asking if you want it to be you're default launcher. You'd, of course, answer yes. I haven't noticed anything being jerky but want to make sure I don't just have my head in the sand.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I notice that also, root doesnt offer a lot on this device yet but someone on XDA is supposedly bringing Cyanogenmod 11 over to it which would be nice, if you want the 4.4 look you can install the Nexus 5 Google Experience Launcher, ive done so and quite like it, maybe its a placebo effect but i think its a little smoother that way, the only thing that doesnt work once the GEL Launcher is on is turning the screen off with knock knock, it turns on fine tho using knock knock.

This also is a good sign, a Google Play edition of the G Pad, hopefully it would get ported over to the rest of us on regular G Pads Source code points to possible Google Play edition LG G Pad 8.3 | Android Central

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I notice that also, root doesnt offer a lot on this device yet but someone on XDA is supposedly bringing Cyanogenmod 11 over to it which would be nice, if you want the 4.4 look you can install the Nexus 5 Google Experience Launcher, ive done so and quite like it, maybe its a placebo effect but i think its a little smoother that way, the only thing that doesnt work once the GEL Launcher is on is turning the screen off with knock knock, it turns on fine tho using knock knock.

This also is a good sign, a Google Play edition of the G Pad, hopefully it would get ported over to the rest of us on regular G Pads Source code points to possible Google Play edition LG G Pad 8.3 | Android Central

Just saw the release.. hope we can use stock android on ours soon!