ok finally rooted my phone...

Tex_Norseman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon ,and finally rooted my phone to use an autohide soft keys app, what else can I do now that I'm rooted? First phone I have ever done this with!

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My first root also. I did it to get rid of the bloatware. I now have a good bit more RAM without some of that crap running in the background all the time.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My first root also. I did it to get rid of the bloatware. I now have a good bit more RAM without some of that crap running in the background all the time.

What'd you get rid of that you weren't able to without rooting? I've found most things I've been able to just disable without having to freeze via titanium.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
What'd you get rid of that you weren't able to without rooting? I've found most things I've been able to just disable without having to freeze via titanium.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.

Everything that is AT&T and Google can not be removed from the AT&T phone without rooting. Some of these programs are sneaky little bastards that get started when you least expect it and will run until you stop them.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Every time I root I immediately install a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM) and DO A BACKUP!! As you start exploring your new powers you will screw up. Having a backup is a quick way back.

Titanium Backup is the only app I install from market after a wipe or installing a new ROM. It backsup all apps and user data. Don't do system apps unless you are a pro.

Flash a ROM or kernel. There aren't many choices atm but flashing is an addiction and usually the best mods are flashed. "flashing" is done in recovery and is the act of selecting install and navigating to a .zip you downloaded to flash.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
To me, there are two levels of root. One is just root, and the other is root + custom recovery.

Just having root allows a number of things that may be useful to you on this device, such as,

- Permanently disable Carrier IQ (AT&T version)
- Titanium Backup to freeze/uninstall system Apps you don't need running, as well as backup settings and App data
- Root Explorer to change system files (proceed with caution)
- ROM Toolbox to modify things such as icons on your notification bar (proceed with caution)
- Autohide Softkeys App

The last one I want to add here separately is cool App called Greenify.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&token=ta7cXiZp

This App allows you to set certain Apps to "hibernate" when not being used. This is not a task killer, nor does it freeze Apps. It essentially puts Apps to sleep that have a habit of running hogwild even when you're not using them (like Facebook for example). When you want to use the App, you tap it to load like any other. When you're done, Greenify will automatically hibernate it again.

Root + Custom Recovery (TWRP in the case of the G2 for now) adds another level of customization, such as,

- Flash custom ROMs
- Flash custom kernels (once any are available)
- Flash individual mods such as the following:
[MOD][9/29] Replace Menu Key with Recent Apps, Long Press Home for Menu - xda-developers
[MOD] [AT&T] Deodexed SystemUI w/o Brightness/Volume sliders - xda-developers
[MOD] Smaller navigation bar [AT&T-only] - xda-developers

Working with custom recovery requires an extra level of education and experience. It can look overwhelming, but it's actually fairly simple if you do your homework and gain a bit of experience. Having some prior experience with computers and working with files definitely helps.

There are many things you can do once you have root access on an Android device. How far you want to go depends entirely on your personal taste, interest in tinkering and modding, and comfort level.