Why is my LG G3 battery draining so quickly?

Cricky075

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Strange LG G3 battery issues

Hi all,

I'm having a very strange problem with my LG G3 this week...

Basically, I'm using the phone normally throughout the day with moderate usage. This normally brings the battery to around 20%. When we watch a few Youtube videos, the battery then drops 0% just before we go to sleep.

What's happened to me twice now is that the battery will then refuse to charge effectively once drained. An overnight charge only managed to get it to 18% but the strange thing comes after I take it out in the morning, switch it on, then start charging again...It reverts back to normal and is fully charged in an hour.

Has anyone else encountered this strange problem, or can recommend any appropriate fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Strange LG G3 battery issues

Lithium batteries should NEVER be allowed to discharge to 0%. Charging a fully discharged lithium battery can result in fire or explosion. (Which is why you never discharged the battery to completely dead or, if you did, the battery is defective - there should be circuitry in the battery to disconnect the battery inside the package from the terminals on the outside just before the charge drops to 0 - which makes the battery unusable [but safe].)

I suspect, however, that your constant discharge down to 20% has about used the battery up (you'll get about 400 charge-discharge cycles like that before the battery is shot), and it's exhibiting end-of-life conditions.

Replace the battery. Charge it fully with th phone off. Then use it until the phone tells you to recharge it. Do that twice more (three complete charge-discharge cycles). Then never let the battery get below 40% again. (50% is the ideal charge point, but letting it hit 40% once in a while won't shorten the life too much.)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Rukbat has some great advice. Although what kills Li Po cells the most is heat (and extreme cold). That being said, prolonged use that heats the battery up pretty good can destroy cells. So be aware of your usage habits and charge habits. Spurts of charging and using is ideal. These batteries like to just sit at 70% charge their whole life, but this is impossible if you plan on actually using the phone.

All that being said, however, is just basic guidelines. Use your phone. Because that is why the G3 has a removable battery. These tips will just get more out of your $25. ;)

Cricky075

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, and the information. I wasn't aware of the dangers of a 0% battery, but I am aware of the fact that a battery dies faster if you fully discharge it. Sadly, with the LG G3, you'll be extremely lucky to retain anything above 50% after a day at work so it's a problem I'll likely face again.

With your informative comments though, I'll be looking for a replacement and to PAT test my charger for work! Thank you for your help!

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Hi all,

I'm having a very strange problem with my LG G3 this week...

Basically, I'm using the phone normally throughout the day with moderate usage. This normally brings the battery to around 20%. When we watch a few Youtube videos, the battery then drops 0% just before we go to sleep.

What's happened to me twice now is that the battery will then refuse to charge effectively once drained. An overnight charge only managed to get it to 18% but the strange thing comes after I take it out in the morning, switch it on, then start charging again...It reverts back to normal and is fully charged in an hour.

Has anyone else encountered this strange problem, or can recommend any appropriate fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Have you downloaded lollipop by any chance?

Posted via the Android Central App