Wireless charging backs?

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Would the wireless charging back from the G3, if taken apart, work if mounted in a G4 leather back? If LG was smart, they would add the feature to the leather backs and charge more for them.

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Look at the pins of a picture. They are in a different spot (lower down), and appear to be closer. At least, the gap between 2 and 3 isn't present, but then again, it wasn't present until the US flavor was released on the G3, so maybe it'll return.

lg-g4-hands-battery-angle.jpg

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I see..... I guess someone overseas will sell the correct part again then if it will even work. I don't understand why LG doesn't just enable this a a selling feature for the few dollars it would cost them....

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I guess someone overseas will sell the correct part again then. I don't understand why LG doesn't just enable this a a selling feature for the few dollars it would cost them....

Incredible as it may seem but not everyone wants or needs wireless charging. It wastes electricity and plugging in the micro USB cable isn't that much effort. Quick charge imo is a more valuable feature.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well not for me. First off, the finicky 1990's style usb plug is ridiculous at best, and even causes the hairline cracks in that area. I hate those god awful connectors. Then I have gotten very used to just placing my phone on a charging pod to turn it on and give it some charge. This is the future, like it or not. Watch, as soon as iphone finally goes wireless charge, all Androids will follow.

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well not for me. First off, the finicky 1990's style usb plug is ridiculous at best, and even causes the hairline cracks in that area. I hate those god awful connectors. Then I have gotten very used to just placing my phone on a charging pod to turn it on and give it some charge. This is the future, like it or not. Watch, as soon as iphone finally goes wireless charge, all Androids will follow.

I think you point is valid but only because once the iPhone goes wireless there will be a standard they use and everyone can jump on it! Easier to get things to the masses when the main comp uses it.

Posted on my Moto X that is prob being charged as we speak...

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the EU mandate that all cell phones utilize microUSB? I've never understood how Apple gets around that, but for the time being I don't see the standard going away. The USB Type C should be the new connector moving foward -- at least until someone can figure out QC wireless and establish a decent app that can wirelessly transfer files, completely eliminating the need for any type of connector.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
That's reason enough to break from the EU then. What a bunch of nonsense. Why don't they mandate floppy disks while they are at it...... Sorry, it just pisses me off when technology gets stalled by backwards thinking.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming around to the idea of wireless charging. After reading how enthusiastic others have been, especially with chargers like Tylt, I can see how valuable it will be.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I like it have a wireless charger for night time and one in my car. Both work great but I do wish they were faster. On G3 I bought the sticker worked great

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Incredible as it may seem but not everyone wants or needs wireless charging. It wastes electricity and plugging in the micro USB cable isn't that much effort. Quick charge imo is a more valuable feature.

Having both though is great :D. I enjoy quick charge while at work on my S6 to juice up fast ... Wireless at home. I agree a cable isn't that hard but the convenience is nice .. Some may not agree but that is why it is nice to have options :). I enjoy it charging, I get a phone call, and I can just grab and walk around without worry and the charging pauses.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Having both though is great :D. I enjoy quick charge while at work on my S6 to juice up fast ... Wireless at home. I agree a cable isn't that hard but the convenience is nice .. Some may not agree but that is why it is nice to have options :). I enjoy it charging, I get a phone call, and I can just grab and walk around without worry and the charging pauses.

Actually the more I read about the wireless charging the more appealing it is. Both QS and WS sounds like the way to go but it does complicate the case/back selection.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually the more I read about the wireless charging the more appealing it is. Both QS and WS sounds like the way to go but it does complicate the case/back selection.

Yeah. I mean .. I really just enjoy the convenience at the house. I keep my phone on my PC desk all the time so .. having a pad there and keeping it juiced is just easy :).

In case anyone is curious -- I use this one. Works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4438395

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
So if you get the leather back and then find one of those "Qi Stickers" to apply to the inside of the back (as was possible with the G3), do you think it would work with through the leather... is the leather too thick? is the leather back not flat enough to sit well on a wireless charger?

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
So if you get the leather back and then find one of those "Qi Stickers" to apply to the inside of the back (as was possible with the G3), do you think it would work with through the leather... is the leather too thick? is the leather back not flat enough to sit well on a wireless charger?

Yes it should work through the leather. My g3 works with my Spigen slim armor and Diztronic tpu cases

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I can't remember which phone I bought that offered it but ever since I bought the accessory for every phone I upgraded.

Last year I don't know but the G3 wireless back I bought didn't work I guess my carrier disabled it?

SHIFT_sixty four s6 edge

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to have the option but I'll probably use quick charge more than wireless charging.

Sent from my LG G2 running CM 12

Thats the best part having the ability to do both. I use wireless overnight I'm on call at night 3 days a week just have to pick up phone no wires plus overnight is plenty of time to fully charge phone. I love quick charging for when I'm low on juice after work 15 to 30 minutes and I'm topped off and ready to go.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My current phone (N6) is the first phone I owned with wireless charging. While it is slower then plugging phone in with cord, I still like it.Its cool to have options.:cool:

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Judging from that picture above, maybe it won't work if they come with only those 2 leads? Guess we'll have to wait and see. I wish they would just make this easier for the end user. It's like they are punishing you on the charging front. "No quick charger included and no wireless charging for you". :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87