calling out screen protectors

mamoh

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I have been reading about the tempered glass screen protectors and haven't seen any evidence that they do anything other than provide a false sense of security. Their hardness rating of 9H is not actually the scale that they know people think of with a diamond rating 10H, but relates to pencil hardness, which is clearly meant to deceive people's perceptions.

The big question is if they actually provide any greater protection to the gorilla glass screen either in the case of a scratching or shattering from impact. I can see an argument for decreasing the scratch, but after having the same glass on a RAZR Maxx for over two years, dropping it at least thirty times, and taking it to the beach a bunch and seeing no scratches on it, I wonder if a screen protector is needed at all? If I had a screen protector on my phone and it failed (which I'm sure would have happened from all the times I did drop it) is that proof that it protected the gorilla glass that didn't fail?

I've read people's accounts of dropping their phones and being happy that their screen protector cracked but not their screen, but the question is if it really protected the screen or just takes a lot less to fail. My gut and brain, tell me that the tempered screen protectors just fail a lot more easily than gorilla glass will. So it isn't protecting the screen at all, the protector just fails where the screen wouldn't.

Now who has some screens that we can destroy to test out the theories?

If tempered glass where that much better than gorilla glass (which is also "tempered" but with a proprietary process, I'm guessing) then why wouldn't manufacturers go with something much lighter and thinner and most likely, less expensive? My guess is that they test all kinds of materials from different companies and corning just puts out the best product.
Does anyone have any real world testing to confirm or negate my thoughts?

geocurt

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you're talking about. I don't expect it to make my screen indestructible, but it certainly protects the screen from scratches which is why I got it.
I have never, ever seen any glass on a phone that doesn't scratch over time. When the screen protector scratches I can replace it for $10.
Really nothing more to it than that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I used to use book-type and wallet-type cases, yet noticed fine scratches on the glass despite the protection you'd think they would afford. I guess that grit is everywhere, and perhaps those cases actually hold it against the glass....I don't know. I now use plastic or gel cases together with a screen protector.

Posted via the Android Central App

mamoh

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I guess because I never got any scratches on my RAZR Maxx-and I didn't baby the phone-I don't feel like I need any extra protection...

redlinecoatings

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what you're talking about. I don't expect it to make my screen indestructible, but it certainly protects the screen from scratches which is why I got it.
I have never, ever seen any glass on a phone that doesn't scratch over time. When the screen protector scratches I can replace it for $10.

This. I work in dusty environments and my hands are always dirty. Would my screen scratch? Don't know, but for $10 I know it won't. If my phone falls I always expect the worst, and its in a case. It all depends on how it lands and what it lands on.

mamoh

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
you get tempered glass for $8? I put the plastic one that came with the otterbox case and took it off immediately because it wasn't nearly as slick as just the glass...

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
you get tempered glass for $8? I put the plastic one that came with the otterbox case and took it off immediately because it wasn't nearly as slick as just the glass...

I used this one for $8.99 and love it. I went with a glass screen protector to give the phone a better chance at surviving a facedown fall into loose rocks (smoking area at work).

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Tough to say how well it works or doesn't work. People say that they've dropped their phones and the tempered screen cracked and protected the screen because their screen didn't...but who's to say their screen would've cracked at all if it didn't have the screen protector? Maybe the thought of preventing scratching during everyday use and the peace of mind is enough to justify the ~$10 glass protectors.

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
for me it is all about the scratch protection, never thought any screen protector is going to do anything during a fall, the wifes s4 fell from a pocket as she was sitting in her car (a honda fit, so this isnt a high fall) even had a case, and it hit just right to get a cracked screen, actually did it so bad that chunks of the glass came out and it had super sharp edges that would cut you if you tried to use the phone. All that stuff that the makers of gorilla glass do to show off how tough the glass is, well they always do it on a foam surface of some sort, that is why you can see it bend and flex, and it is that surface that absorbs the impact of whatever they are doing, put that test glass on a brick and hit it with a hammer it will shatter to a million pieces every time. it is just glass after all. And your phone is a brick not a flexible surface.

I always used the plastic screen protectors until i got the g4 and for the first time tried a glass one, at this point i would keep using glass ones, but only because they make the phone feel as though it dosnt even have a screen protector on it at all, but i also know that with time as this phone sits in my pocket with my keys, that glass will scratch, and when it does $8 and a few seconds later i am back to a brand new looking phone. You sure cant replace the glass built into the phone for anywhere close to that. and even trying to do it will give you a really good chance of breaking the screen under the glass.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
For me it's about scratch protection.

Secondly I choose glass now because of the feel, it's nice and slick.

Thirdly once that nice oleophobic is worn away it's pretty easy to get a new screen protector, not so easy to refinish the screen with a fresh coat again.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
For me it's just an extra layer of protection. You're over thinking it.

Posted via the Android Central App

These posts sum my thoughts up perfectly. Try this one, feels just as good as your original screen and is cheap:

Amazon.com: Yootech® LG G4 Tempered Glass Screen Protector - Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector(2.5D 9H Hardness, Superslim 0.26mm) for LG G4 - The Best LG G4 Screen Protector To Guard Against Scratches and Drops - Ultra HD Clear With Maximum T

mamoh

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I just use a polymer sealant for glass and it makes it super slick and oleophobic....

For me it's about scratch protection.

Secondly I choose glass now because of the feel, it's nice and slick.

Thirdly once that nice oleophobic is worn away it's pretty easy to get a new screen protector, not so easy to refinish the screen with a fresh coat again.

mamoh

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I use Menzerna Powerlock, which is a high end polymer sealant that I use of detailing cars and also use on windshields...There is likely something that is even better that is specifically for glass, but this is what I have around so I did it just to try out. I was also thinking of using a product called opticoat that provides a second harder clearcoat that might work. But really, I don't think there is much that can be done to Gorilla Glass as it's already harder and more scratch resistant than anything that will go over it.

This is what I got back from the folks at Corning...

"Although this is a decision that individual consumers will make for themselves, we believe that display protectors are not necessary for devices with Gorilla Glass. The exceptional damage resistance of Gorilla Glass alone helps to protect today’s most sophisticated electronic devices from the abuses of everyday life."

Perhaps if I had any scratches on my old RAZR Maxx, I'd put on a sacrificial layer of tempered glass screen protector, but it seems superfluous and a waste of money even if it is only $10....

I'm not the type to follow the herd without a compelling reason and I've worked with specialized materials for awhile and can suss out the BS from scientific realities...

Of course if I get a scratch on the LG, everyone can have fun saying, "I told you so...." LOL

Last edited:

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I just put on a glass protector from amazon ($8) and its super slick. I haven't used one since the nexus 5 days. I'll prolly rock this for a while. I didn't want to use them again as they were to expensive before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez