Wifi Tether Discussion

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey I was just wondering what kind of speeds do you guys get when tethering. I was trying to download a movie yesterday, and my phone was getting like 1 mbps but the computer only showed it as like 100 kbps. Any ideas?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't suggest downloading movies over a wifi tethered connection on this device. Not only are you jacking up your data consumption, you're using a relatively slow 3G connection and zapping your phone's battery too. When I tether, I use a User Agent Switch extension on Firefox so that it pulls mobile pages at a decent speed. Maybe that's a bit extreme for some, but stay away from the huge downloads is my advice.

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I use wifi tether on for my tablet when I am on the go, and it is consistently average. Nothing too great, but good enough to check my email or download an app/game right before I hop on a plane. I would say that on average I get 56kbps. But I haven't tried streaming netflix or downloading movies. I'm too impatient to wait for my 3g to download most of the time so i search for wifi if I can.

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh I see. Well my friend has a 4G phone and he says that with his tether, he predominantly uses that to download movies and such because it's far faster than his normal Internet connection. I figured 3G would be similar but guess not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty