trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Doing a separate thread so I don't spam up the other threads; but I'm hearing that stagefright and JIT were supposed to be stock in 2.2 but were not. Does this mean that a 2.3 ROM should be faster, or are there other improvements already implemented in ThundeROM/buildprops that are basically the same as what's coming?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Doing a separate thread so I don't spam up the other threads; but I'm hearing that stagefright and JIT were supposed to be stock in 2.2 but were not. Does this mean that a 2.3 ROM should be faster, or are there other improvements already implemented in ThundeROM/buildprops that are basically the same as what's coming?

LG disabled them from the Optimus rom. The library files are there, they are just disabled. Stock 2.2 DOES have them, according to the Android Open Source Project, and I believe just about every other iteration of 2.2 has them.

It is unclear why LG disabled them in the first place, and there is no way to know whether they intend to disable them again for 2.3.

Meanwhile, ThunderROM/buildprops enables them again, so it is like 2.2 was supposed to be all along.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
They improved JIT. There are other optimizations a well. Don't expect anything mind blowing but yes it should be a litte bit faster.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
They disabled stagefright because it sucks at AAC HE.

Yes, but I'm realizing now that there are quite a few streaming apps that require stagefright, notably WinAmp's shoutcast support. The app says these features only work in 2.2, which we have, because when coding with APIs for Froyo, it is assumed to be there. Leaving it in might break some legacy support, but taking it out breaks others. Its a lose-lose, really (which may be why many manufacturers have been taking their sweet time with Froyo updates).

Since the device sells with 2.2, I can imagine many users scratching their had as to why media apps made for 2.2 don't work!

I think there's another reason it is disabled, and either way it doesn't explain why no JIT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87