[MOD] Move dalvik-cache to /cache STOCK ROM ONLY

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
**THIS WELL ONLY HELP YOU IF YOU ARE ON A STOCK ROM. **
**THIS OVERWRITES ANY KERNEL YOU HAVE.**

Dalvik-cache to /cache mod frees up some space on the data partition for more applications. I bumped from 120mb free to around 160 mb free.

After having a bunch of trouble using pre-made scripts posted around different forums, I decided to try a different method and edited the init.rc in boot.img.

Anyways, flash this zip in Recovery. After the first boot is complete, reboot into recovery and clear dalvik cache. Now you should have some extra space to work with.

v2: better method, proper kernel lol..

Last edited:

bigmantuck

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
What is the normal before and after amount with this update script. What I'm wondering is how much free space should you normally have. I'm only showing 45 and thats after flashing this.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
What is the normal before and after amount with this update script.

I went from 120MB free after flashing to 160MB free.

How are you guys editing the boot.img files?

When I want to learn something I consult google. Everything I learned about the boot.img came from here. Keep in mind that our partition structure is a little different though.

Joeseph Mother

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Nick,

How are you guys editing the boot.img files?

I want to try and edit one to remove the sprint logo boot images or at least
change them so that they are all the same image, the last file.

Like in this post:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/516465-post11.html

Here's the guide I used to learn to edit boot.img:
HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki

And on the optimus T, I was able to remove the tmobile boot animation by removing the .rle images in the boot images folder. They could also be edited with photoshop to create a custom slideshow.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this helped me but originally I had 87MB free then went to 37MB Free.....

This will only help you if you are on a stock rom. Sorry I didn't know that ThundeROM had this mod at first. Clear your dalvik cache and you should be good.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ok tried your mod on the VC stock rom with the stock kernel and had no problems. after applied had something like 142mb free.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
ok I want to do this,but I am a noob......So what i need to know is how to do this exactly!
I am rooted with stock rom (no bells and whistles). Only rooted to gain the extra space and to use titanium backup.

First where do i put the zip file?
Second when i go into recovery i have 4 options
1.roboot system now
2.apply sdcard:update.zip
3.wipe data/factory reset
4.wipe cache partition

So now with this information what do I do? I do want to make any selections without know what they do. I figure I would have to press the second option but does this give me another menu to select the zip file for this?

Nick7 I would really....really....really appreciate it if you could give me some step by step instructions!!!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Also why do you think some of the people doing this are losing space instead of gaining. What possible mistakes is happening there.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
ok I want to do this,but I am a noob......So what i need to know is how to do this exactly!
I am rooted with stock rom (no bells and whistles). Only rooted to gain the extra space and to use titanium backup.

First where do i put the zip file?
Second when i go into recovery i have 4 options
1.roboot system now
2.apply sdcard:update.zip
3.wipe data/factory reset
4.wipe cache partition

So now with this information what do I do? I do want to make any selections without know what they do. I figure I would have to press the second option but does this give me another menu to select the zip file for this?

Nick7 I would really....really....really appreciate it if you could give me some step by step instructions!!!

You would drop the zip on the root of your sd card, but I'm more concerned about your recovery.

The first thing you should do after rooting your phone should be install custom recovery, you should really be doing this whether you are changing the rom or not cause it gives you the option to use nandroid backup and restore.

You should NOT flash anything to your phone without first backing up in nandroid (emphases not to be mean but to try to protect your phone :D )

In answer to your question regarding how to flash the zip, yes it should let you choose which zip but never having used the standard recovery I'm not certain.

Final bit, notice there is no clear dalvik cache option in your current 'standard' recovery?

I think before you do anything else you are going to need to look into the matter of recovery a little further. Check out this sticky it should point you in a good direction.

Lastly, good luck and have fun

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You are right of course, I am probably going to install the Xionia recovery. Unless you think there is a better one I should use.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
You are right of course, I am probably going to install the Xionia recovery. Unless you think there is a better one I should use.

Yeah I would go with Xionia, if nothing else Zefie updated it to allow the clear data option from inside the rom to work without bricking your phone. (just in case you forget type of thing)

I don't believe thunderc has this support at this time, otherwise I've heard good things from it.
I just don't trust people not to do stupid stuff, including myself :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas