Installing Flash 10.1 on the Optimus S?

lazeballz

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Ahh - I just realized my post was moved to this post.

Good Deal =)

Capt - did this work with the default browser? What about browsers like skyfire - in which you enable "desktop" mode when viewing the page.

I hate to beat a dead horse so to speak, but due to the fact that im not a programmer/have limited knowledge in android development....i try to find work-arounds =P

Also - i became interested when i saw this infamous vid =X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdTlfOdfLQ

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
well....

Ahh - I just realized my post was moved to this post.

Good Deal =)

Capt - did this work with the default browser? What about browsers like skyfire - in which you enable "desktop" mode when viewing the page.

I hate to beat a dead horse so to speak, but due to the fact that im not a programmer/have limited knowledge in android development....i try to find work-arounds =P

Also - i became interested when i saw this infamous vid =X
YouTube - lg optimus with flash 10.1.MPG

Well my browser UA was set to desktop and i have tried with android and iphone settings also. I tried with opera mobile and skyfire, but neither of which work any differently than normal. Oh ps read the comments of that video. Points out that flash is still disabled on that phone.

Just noticed this thread is top 5 in views for the Optimus S threads. Either people really want flash or we are so anxious we reload a bunch of times a day! Happy New Year East Coast! [oh and all you...other people :) ]

Last edited:

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this is mentioned in this thread but our processor will not run flash for 2.2. The flash used on htcs like the hero run flash for our processors but to work you need to port the htc framework to our device for the library's. Something that to my knowledge has not been done to date for any non htc device.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

lazeballz

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
perhaps its time for someone to port 2.1 and try it on our device....any devs thought about this?
=P

(2 hours till new years here in cali)

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
ok..

I had a longer post planned out because no after no is agitating me. But because i don't want to get mod-yelled i will simply say i appreciate any opinions on the subject. Just not no. It could be impossible, but i don't feel that the Android forum is a place for words like impossible. We are all learning more and more every day and we can't say impossible because well for one, Adobe Flash is closed off to us. It's an animal we don't understand. Do we shoot it and leave it for the other animals to scavenge or do we tag it and watch from afar to learn it's secrets. ( does that analogy work?) I want this to work. It will work. The iphone version had to add another compatibility layer just so it could understand the flash.

Reactions: vernotzy21

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I had a longer post planned out because no after no is agitating me. But because i don't want to get mod-yelled i will simply say i appreciate any opinions on the subject. Just not no. It could be impossible, but i don't feel that the Android forum is a place for words like impossible. We are all learning more and more every day and we can't say impossible because well for one, Adobe Flash is closed off to us. It's an animal we don't understand. Do we shoot it and leave it for the other animals to scavenge or do we tag it and watch from afar to learn it's secrets. ( does that analogy work?) I want this to work. It will work. The iphone version had to add another compatibility layer just so it could understand the flash.

By either paying Adobe to make it work on ARMv6 Android phones OR by ALOT of work reverse engineering it just to be sued by Adobe if we redistrubute the end-result anyway.

Was there even any iPhone ARMv6? I thought they were all ARMv7 cpus, just not all Cortex A8.

disposed#AC

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Pretty childish way of viewing it. Like Zefie said its Adobe not Sprint, LG or Google.

You want flash on an arm6 device convince Adobe to add the support. Otherwise no flash for the optimus no, nada, nein never gonna happen.

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
yeah?

Pretty childish way of viewing it. Like Zefie said its Adobe not Sprint, LG or Google.

You want flash on an arm6 device convince Adobe to add the support. Otherwise no flash for the optimus no, nada, nein never gonna happen.

How is it childish that thinking because we are on an Android forum we should think all options are open to us. I think it is childish that you had to write no so many different ways. And if you read my post it says that Flash is closed off to us and so we can't close the door until it is for certain that will always be. Grow up kid.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Port the open source linux flash project Gnash :)

Was actually wondering about that at work :p There's a few third-party flash plugins for Linux that work quite well (in fact, when I was still on Linux they were working better than the official plugin). No reason it can't be done on Android :p

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the Gnash info. Apparently they are working on compiling to Android.Building for Android - Gnash Project Wiki

You are silly and naive go learn to program before coming here and cheerleading. Gnash supports flash 7 and very little of 8 and 9 which makes it useless unless you want to view pop up ads on your phone as they are the only things that use flash 7. Flash 10 has no support in gnash as well.

It is up to adobe to compile flash for use on our phones or use skyfire which is the best solution so far.

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
ok

You are silly and naive go learn to program before coming here and cheerleading. Gnash supports flash 7 and very little of 8 and 9 which makes it useless unless you want to view pop up ads on your phone as they are the only things that use flash 7. Flash 10 has no support in gnash as well.

It is up to adobe to compile flash for use on our phones or use skyfire which is the best solution so far.

You are also violating forum rules.
Personal Attacks - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to criticize nor insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move on to another thread.

If you don't have something constructive to say then don't post. The Gnash program was written based on a program that only supported flash 6. Gnash was made to support flash 7, and part of 8 and 9. They are also working on it's compatibility with newer flash "Gnash supports many SWF v8 features and ActionScript 2 classes. with growing support for SWF v10 and ActionScript 3." Things get better as people learn more about them.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Two choices, and this applies to every person in every thread, respect each other or I issue infractions and close the thread to let things calm down. If you don't share the same opinion as someone you can either not post or disagree RESPECTFULLY (keyword). Getting infractions makes you mad and causes me work, and I hate work. First, last warning.

Were adults here, lets act like it. Thanks in advance :p

disposed#AC

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
How is it childish that thinking because we are on an Android forum we should think all options are open to us. I think it is childish that you had to write no so many different ways. And if you read my post it says that Flash is closed off to us and so we can't close the door until it is for certain that will always be. Grow up kid.

Its childish because instead of listening when people tell you what you dont want to hear you plug your fingers in your ears and go "lalala cant hear you".

Just because its android dont make it magically possible to get a proprietary closed source application to compile for our hardware.

It would involve an insane amount of reverse engineering to make it even remotely possible and the second you made any progress and tried giving it out you would be sued back to the stone age.

So to reiterate unless adobe changes their mind getting real flash working on this phone is impossible.

Whether you want to hear it or not thats how it is. I hate to break it to you but no weekend hacker is going to get you flash on an unsupported chipset.

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
ok...

Its childish because instead of listening when people tell you what you dont want to hear you plug your fingers in your ears and go "lalala cant hear you".

Just because its android dont make it magically possible to get a proprietary closed source application to compile for our hardware.

It would involve an insane amount of reverse engineering to make it even remotely possible and the second you made any progress and tried giving it out you would be sued back to the stone age.

So to reiterate unless adobe changes their mind getting real flash working on this phone is impossible.

Whether you want to hear it or not thats how it is. I hate to break it to you but no weekend hacker is going to get you flash on an unsupported chipset.

OK you people obviously don't read and just come here to argue. There are several options that are opening up to us. I will not argue with you. Read the post above you. Respect others opinions regardless of whether they differ from yours. Reiterating that someone is childish is simply repeating a violation of forum rules. If you don't think it's possible, that's fine, it's your opinion. If you don't want to read that we are hopeful about getting this, then please don't read our thread. Have a nice day.

disposed#AC

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
OK you people obviously don't read and just come here to argue. There are several options that are opening up to us. I will not argue with you. Read the post above you. Respect others opinions regardless of whether they differ from yours. Reiterating that someone is childish is simply repeating a violation of forum rules. If you don't think it's possible, that's fine, it's your opinion. If you don't want to read that we are hopeful about getting this, then please don't read our thread. Have a nice day.

How is saying someone is behaving childish a violation of the rules?

There are no options opening up just more talk from people that dont know better.

This is not a matter of opinion. Its a matter of fact and some people just cant grasp it or prefer denial.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Back on topic, I understand the technical hurdles in getting Flash 10.1 on the Optimus S due to the lack of ArmV6 support. What I haven't been able to find information on is whether there are any *other* versions of Flash supported on the Optimus. For example, I was going to run a test on SpeakEasy.net and it says requires Flash 7. But when I clicked the link, it gave me a Not Found error. Any suggestions?