I'm considering buying the LG v10 or Note 4 instead of the Samsung Note 5.

Which phone to buy?

• Total voters

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Note 5 owner since last August and a stalwart Note fan (I've owned all except for the first because it wasn't available on Verizon). I'm one of those who didn't need the SD card and removable battery, so the Note 5 was the right upgrade for me (and what a marvelous upgrade it was!). I've only ever handled the v10 once, but found it to be more responsive than my Note 4 was. I would say your best option would be the v10.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Note3 to the V10. I really like the V10 much better than I thought I would. I'll not rehash the positives others have already said but I'll mention the only drawback I've detected: There are no Custom ROM's available for the V10. Other than this single negative, the LG V10 is excellent. I have a 200 GB Micro-SD installed for viewing movies and Music videos when in rural areas, inside the building where I work (Almost no signal at all) and while on long flights (I do this every other week). I have not missed Samsung at all for things other than Custom ROM's.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know they made micro SD cards that large, WOW! Might I ask approx how many movies you can store on one of these micro giants? My husband might really make use of this! Where do you get your movies from?

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I went from the Note3 to the V10. I really like the V10 much better than I thought I would. I'll not rehash the positives others have already said but I'll mention the only drawback I've detected: There are no Custom ROM's available for the V10. Other than this single negative, the LG V10 is excellent. I have a 200 GB Micro-SD installed for viewing movies and Music videos when in rural areas, inside the building where I work (Almost no signal at all) and while on long flights (I do this every other week). I have not missed Samsung at all for things other than Custom ROM's.

Xda is full of custom roms for the v10
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/development

Posted via the Android Central App

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
LG V10 Android Development

There are a handful of debloated stock-based ROMs only for the T-Mobile V10 (only one with an unlocked bootloader). That's not "full of custom roms," it's better than nothing, but doesn't compare at all to some of the more development friendly devices out there.

If someone finds a way to unlock the bootloader on other variants you might see development pick up, but that's a HUGE "if".

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
LG V10 Android Development

I have never done a custom rom nor needed to the 15 years I've owned cell phones.
The only custom I will do is this:

PurpleWatchPhone5-web.jpg

0SamsunNotebookS5d-800.jpg

LenovoY410pPaint5-web.jpg

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Custom ROMs can be a great option when manufacturers fall short on updates, carriers stick a lot of bloatware on a phone, the skin a phone uses is too heavy, or you just want extra features. I've used phones without flashing or even rooting, but there's something about being able to tailor your phones to your needs, not what the manufacturer thinks you need, that is appealing to a lot of people.

Personally, I stuck a debloated stock-based ROM on my V10 as soon as I got it. I'd definitely like to see more development for it, though I feel like my experience now is almost perfect, only thing that's bugged me is the fingerprint scanner not working with a case.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Custom ROMs can be a great option when manufacturers fall short on updates, carriers stick a lot of bloatware on a phone, the skin a phone uses is too heavy, or you just want extra features. I've used phones without flashing or even rooting, but there's something about being able to tailor your phones to your needs, not what the manufacturer thinks you need, that is appealing to a lot of people.

Personally, I stuck a debloated stock-based ROM on my V10 as soon as I got it. I'd definitely like to see more development for it, though I feel like my experience now is almost perfect, only thing that's bugged me is the fingerprint scanner not working with a case.

Thanks for the info. What carrier is your custom V10 on? I'm on Verizon, and I believe we're still locked out from rooting, etc....

Thanks!

Posted via stuff.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. What carrier is your custom V10 on? I'm on Verizon, and I believe we're still locked out from rooting, etc....

Thanks!

Posted via stuff.

I'm using an unlocked T-Mobile V10 on AT&T. Unfortunately the T-Mobile is the only version with an unlocked bootloader, which is why I sought that one out. Users of the AT&T and Verizon versions are out of luck, and I believe even the international versions are similarly locked down. It would be great if LG would take a page out of HTC's book and sell an unlocked version independent of the carriers here in the US, but they don't

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked T-Mobile V10 on AT&T. Unfortunately the T-Mobile is the only version with an unlocked bootloader, which is why I sought that one out. Users of the AT&T and Verizon versions are out of luck, and I believe even the international versions are similarly locked down. It would be great if LG would take a page out of HTC's book and sell an unlocked version independent of the carriers here in the US, but they don't
Doesn't matter to me as I've never used or done rooting. These phones over the years have been good enough for me and I'm picky. I picked Verizon as they have the best coverage and since I'm a professional wildlife/nature photographer, I'm in the mountains a lot and need the coverage that only Verizon has.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I used the Note 5 for a few days before going back to iOS. I didn't like the battery life compared to my 6plus. I'm now looking into getting either a v10, MXPE or Turbo 2. Out of the three, my top choice seems to be the MXPE, even despite the removable battery on the V10 and bigger battery in the Turbo 2. My concern after reading through his thread is the locked down bootloader on Verizon. So after I get my tax returns back, I'm probably going with the MXPE and selling my 6plus.