Camera glass breaks easily?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seeing on Reddit and some forums that the camera glass can scratch and then break easily. Using the flashlight apparently can cause it too.

This sounds absurd, but search Reddit as example for reference.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I was at a sprint store today and the rep had one. His camera was cracked. He said he was playing ping pong with the phone in his pocket and the phone hit the side of the table. Not good imo.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a YouTube video with the guy doing the scratch tests on phones. He scratches the lenses and it cracks seconds later. There is another picture of a shattered lens on reddit from a guy that had it for 5 hours, he claims "it just shattered out of the blue and he noticed it that way" but who knows the truth.

I don't think this is a widespread problem, it's just a little overblown Internet drama over a few cases. I don't think the rumors need to fly this early on a great phone. By the way, how many seperate incidents did you actually see on reddit with broken lenses?? Have links to each one?

ho knows why the one guys lense broke, I know human nature is to automatically say it is not out fault and try to make the situation seem like it wasn't caused by us when it may have been. The test video crack is from a purposesly stressed lense, the guy tried to scratch the **** out of it!! Glass is glass and will crack in the right/not so right situation

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There is a YouTube video with the guy doing the scratch tests on phones. He scratches the lenses and it cracks seconds later. There is another picture of a shattered lens on reddit from a guy that had it for 5 hours, he claims "it just shattered out of the blue and he noticed it that way" but who knows the truth.

I don't think this is a widespread problem, it's just a little overblown Internet drama over a few cases. I don't think the rumors need to fly this early on a great phone. By the way, how many seperate incidents did you actually see on reddit with broken lenses?? Have links to each one?

ho knows why the one guys lense broke, I know human nature is to automatically say it is not out fault and try to make the situation seem like it wasn't caused by us when it may have been. The test video crack is from a purposesly stressed lense, the guy tried to scratch the **** out of it!! Glass is glass and will crack in the right/not so right situation

i posted that vid 2 posts above yours

he didn't try to scratch the hell out of it. He tries with the razor blade but it doesn't scratch it, only scratches it with the pick in one spot.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This is what I found on reddit. Not trying to defend the phone but I think a few cases does not warrant a panic.

Case 1:
https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/588da4/be_careful_with_your_v20

was using the flashlight on the phone for about 30 minutes and turned it over to see this. My guess would be a defect in the glass. Any ideas? And no, it wasn't dropped."

Wow sounds like a damn hot lense, 30 minutes with a flash light. Just WOW.

Case 2:
And another that just magically shattered is his claim here: Received my V20 today and noticed that the glass on the camera was cracked about 5 hours later. Not sure if it was broken during shipping but I know I haven't dropped the phone.

Don't you think he would have noticed the shatter when removing new phone from box. https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/588da4/be_careful_with_your_v20/

Case 3:
Scratch test break . Camera Lense stressed
https://youtu.be/nBlUL-7Dl4U?t=2m25s

ANY MORE????

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
How did they overlook this with them there 60,000 durability tests? ;)

Apple and their constrained iPhone laughs at another potential victim.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
i posted that vid 2 posts above yours

he didn't try to scratch the hell out of it. He tries with the razor blade but it doesn't scratch it, only scratches it with the pick in one spot.

Obviously weakens it, even if not seen by the eye, lense was just fine seconds before he raked a sharp blade across it. Real world, who drags a razor blade across the lense, not even me in my rough construction trade.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This sample is kind of alarming, considering the device is just now out. Seems like maybe slightly too much tension between the glass and the camera bezel it's set in. Any temperature deformation or additional force on the display surface could breach the elasticity of the material. Fancy BS for it could break as reported.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is what I found on reddit. Not trying to defend the phone but I think a few cases does not warrant a panic.

Case 1:
https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/588da4/be_careful_with_your_v20

was using the flashlight on the phone for about 30 minutes and turned it over to see this. My guess would be a defect in the glass. Any ideas? And no, it wasn't dropped."

Wow sounds like a damn hot lense, 30 minutes with a flash light. Just WOW.

Case 2:
And another that just magically shattered is his claim here: Received my V20 today and noticed that the glass on the camera was cracked about 5 hours later. Not sure if it was broken during shipping but I know I haven't dropped the phone.

Don't you think he would have noticed the shatter when removing new phone from box. https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/588da4/be_careful_with_your_v20/

Case 3:
Scratch test break . Camera Lense stressed
https://youtu.be/nBlUL-7Dl4U?t=2m25s

ANY MORE????

The lens broke on my G5 by itself but not like that. That looks like it was dropped or stressed somehow.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If this has merit, it will get attention this week. Thing is since not a safety issue, LG could claim, "nothing to see here, move along" and they might bank on it no being a big issue. At the customer's expense. Since this is not media bait sensational, might go under the radar. Need an exploding jeep to drive the media to report the "issues" with lustful abandon.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If this has merit, it will get attention this week. Thing is since not a safety issue, LG could claim, "nothing to see here, move along" and they might bank on it no being a big issue. At the customer's expense. Since this is not media bait sensational, might go under the radar. Need an exploding jeep to drive the media to report the "issues" with lustful abandon.

I know that quite a few G5s had a similar issue and they didn't do anything about it. In fact other phones suffer from a similar fate. If you do a search for cracked phone lenses you see it and if you go on EBay they sells tons of replacements for many phones.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Seems so easy to replace a caveman could do it.

Rear Back Camera Cover Frame Housing Lens Part For LG G5 VS987 LS992 US992 RS988 | eBay

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Seeing on Reddit and some forums that the camera glass can scratch and then break easily. Using the flashlight apparently can cause it too.

This sounds absurd, but search Reddit as example for reference.

Uh-huh. Using the flashlight causes the camera lens to break.

Says some random person on Reddit.

Uh-huh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38